PDA

View Full Version : should i go sealed????

dflw_99
04-12-2006, 06:50 PM
i have this box and subs but a different amp http://cgi.ebay.com/Dual-12-Audiobah...QQcmdZViewItem

i was wondering if going sealed would be better, i thought about building my

what are going to be the benefits of a sealed over the bandpass and disadvantages???

and what would yall recommend stay the same are build the sealed box

and what should i tune it at if i went this way

thx for your help

thugpassion
04-12-2006, 10:32 PM
well most people here are going to tell you to just build your own box, that prefab bandpass is always crap, and if your looking for SQ go sealed SPL ported<---which most ii agree with. Now if your talking about tuning if you build a box you tune ported boxes not sealed.

PowerNaudio
04-12-2006, 10:42 PM
if you have the space go ported they allow for lower frequency response by means of tuning. if you re laking space then go sealed. to get really low youll need a big sealed box. how big of a sealed enclosure depends on the t/s parameters of the sub.

dflw_99
04-12-2006, 10:47 PM
i have beening looking for on the internet for hours!!!

and cant find a calculator on the web where i can get the box sizes for a dual sealed box

single is easy find

can anyone tell me of a webite that has one....

my subs require 1.5 cubic feet each if someone will plz do the work for me

thx for your help

PowerNaudio
04-12-2006, 10:49 PM
google winISD

Jingle
04-13-2006, 12:54 AM
just build it big pimpin. make it like 3.2 cubes and call it a day. Use 3/4" MDF board. Use wood glue on all of the joints along with screws and make sure to seal the inside of the box VERY WELL. I prefer silicone, but let it cure for at least 1 day. Use a router or a jigsaw to cut out the holes and mount the subs in there. Best to get wire terminals but for a better connection drill little holes in the side of the box to run the speaker wire through then silicone those also. Carpet. Crack a Brew. Sit back and enjoy.

dflw_99
04-13-2006, 10:25 AM
if do what u said drill through the box and hook it up direct to the sub will i be able to tell a difference in perforance then if i used a terminal cup???

Jingle
04-13-2006, 12:41 PM
truely, i really dont know. I just know that the more times you go through something the weaker the signal will be at the end.

dkguitarist
04-13-2006, 12:56 PM
just silicone the hole to keep air from "leaking" out of the chamber and you'll be fine.

joetama
04-13-2006, 01:07 PM
just silicone the hole to keep air from "leaking" out of the chamber and you'll be fine.

Agreed, nothing like a little caulk to fill up any hole. :crazy:

DFW40
04-13-2006, 01:16 PM
if do what u said drill through the box and hook it up direct to the sub will i be able to tell a difference in perforance then if i used a terminal cup???

I always use terminal cups unless you are a real serious spl comp guy. Take a DMM voltmeter and measure the signal strength with a terminal cup and then do it without and let me know the difference. I am always screwing with my setup and like the ease of using a terminal cups and bananna plugs.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_2995.html

http://eddie.dyec.com.tw/diy-products/banana/banana_image/banana.jpg