PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer Elite DVD

joetama
04-12-2006, 03:14 PM
Ok, so I decided to get a new DVD player. I wanted something to play DVD-Audio, and SACD. It was looking like I was going to have to buy 2 different players, until I checked with my buddy at Audible Elegance here in Cincy and he told me about the Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi.

Let me tell you this player absolutly kicks ***. SACD's sound better, DVD's look and sound better, and even CD's have taken on a much more natural sound. If anyone is looking for a good higher end DVD player this is the one to get!

rocky 59
04-12-2006, 03:16 PM
pics?

joetama
04-12-2006, 03:16 PM
Yea, I'll get some up....

Beat_Dominator
04-12-2006, 03:20 PM
Pics Mother :censored: !!!!!!

Oh and you got pwnt, HD-DVD and Blue-ray players willl be out soon enough. Gonna have to buy another one :(

:p:

adio
04-12-2006, 03:20 PM
i was lookin at 1 of those 2 yrs ago, but i watch and listen everything on my laptop. congrats

adio
04-12-2006, 03:21 PM

Oh and you got pwnt, HD-DVD and Blue-ray players willl be out soon enough. Gonna have to buy another one :(

aw ****

joetama
04-12-2006, 03:25 PM

I seriously think that war will take several years to get over, and there is no player that will play both. So, it'll seriously be a couple years until I need to buy a new one.

But, I wanted this one because it did SACD and DVD-Audio (I own both kinds of disks), which HD-DVD and Blue-Ray really wont be music geared more video geared, and honestly I don't care that much about video.

Beat_Dominator
04-12-2006, 03:58 PM
True dat.

InhumanAcura
04-12-2006, 06:56 PM
Hdmi?

joetama
04-12-2006, 07:27 PM
Yes, HDMI.....

Bolognablake
04-13-2006, 12:34 AM
Yes, HDMI.....

How much was it? If you don't mind me asking...

joetama
04-13-2006, 12:50 PM
Normally they are $1000, but if you do some searching on the internet you can find them for around $700, but I got mine a lot cheaper than that.s

ngsm13
04-13-2006, 01:21 PM
It's ******* indeed. ;)

It shits all over that 400disc sony POS :(...

nG

joetama
04-13-2006, 01:25 PM
No **** plus getting it from Julio if I have a problem they will help me out....

adam71
04-25-2006, 07:22 AM
Normally they are $1000, but if you do some searching on the internet you can find them for around $700, but I got mine a lot cheaper than that.s

Wow, thats a good price for a really nice player. I paid 1350 for my Denon DVD-3910 which pretty much has the same features. I feel like I've been punked. The one great thing about mine is it connects to my receiver via Denon Link.

I would trade it for your system in a minute though.:yumyum:

thylantyr
04-25-2006, 12:37 PM
Before I started audio, I was an electronic geekazoid going back 30 years.
These two hobbies complement each other well. I understand electronics,
learned audio then I learned over time about human perception of audio.
This is a hobby, not a career path like others choose.

Earl Geddes is an audio guru as he makes a living doing this.
http://www.gedlee.com/

From time to time I follow some of his debates and he also believes that audio electroncs has come along way, much like I do. One doesn't need to spend
big bucks on expensive sources to get great sound. He uses a $200 or less
source to audition his high end uber speakers.

I bought a 'jack of all formats' DVD player for $126 shipped. I see no need to
spend $500, $1000, $5000 on an expensive player because humans don't
have the ability to hear any improvment, if any, that high end sources offer.
Some things that you measure or see on electronics instruments {scopes}
are just not audible, the human ear doesn't have the resolution to hear it,
akin to claiming your naked eye can see the edge of the universe.

Another example is the Behringer digital crossover because I've been doing auditions with it recently. For the past year on the DIY electronics forum {DIYA},
the geeks think they hear bad stuff from this device unless they operate it under
a certain condition. Many are doing mods, gutting the unit to improve it. They all
hear improvements but very few do a blind test. Of those that do a decent blind
test, they can't tell a difference. Only the voodoo folks hear differences because
it's all in their head. I've done so many configurations with this digital crossover to
make it sound bad I can't do it.

It's easy to fall prey to improved SQ when something was changed, but
many times the auditioner is fooled.

If I build something that involves audio and electronics, I too spec the better parts like polyproylene caps in the signal path, better quality op-amps, etc,
but this is just normal human behavior to want the best parts in spite
that I can't prove that it will sound better.

ngsm13
04-25-2006, 01:24 PM
Before I started audio, I was an electronic geekazoid going back 30 years.
These two hobbies complement each other well. I understand electronics,
learned audio then I learned over time about human perception of audio.
This is a hobby, not a career path like others choose.

Earl Geddes is an audio guru as he makes a living doing this.
http://www.gedlee.com/

From time to time I follow some of his debates and he also believes that audio electroncs has come along way, much like I do. One doesn't need to spend
big bucks on expensive sources to get great sound. He uses a $200 or less
source to audition his high end uber speakers.

I bought a 'jack of all formats' DVD player for $126 shipped. I see no need to
spend $500, $1000, $5000 on an expensive player because humans don't
have the ability to hear any improvment, if any, that high end sources offer.
Some things that you measure or see on electronics instruments {scopes}
are just not audible, the human ear doesn't have the resolution to hear it,
akin to claiming your naked eye can see the edge of the universe.

Another example is the Behringer digital crossover because I've been doing auditions with it recently. For the past year on the DIY electronics forum {DIYA},
the geeks think they hear bad stuff from this device unless they operate it under
a certain condition. Many are doing mods, gutting the unit to improve it. They all
hear improvements but very few do a blind test. Of those that do a decent blind
test, they can't tell a difference. Only the voodoo folks hear differences because
it's all in their head. I've done so many configurations with this digital crossover to
make it sound bad I can't do it.

It's easy to fall prey to improved SQ when something was changed, but
many times the auditioner is fooled.

If I build something that involves audio and electronics, I too spec the better parts like polyproylene caps in the signal path, better quality op-amps, etc,
but this is just normal human behavior to want the best parts in spite
that I can't prove that it will sound better.

Reliability and build quality is also another concern n00bx.

Also when you OWN both of the other formats, even if you say they're not audibly better... it'd still be QUITE nice to play these discs that you spent money on.

;)...

nG

joetama
04-25-2006, 01:27 PM
If that was true, then why doesn't everyone have a $200 Wal-Mart TV, a $120 Samsung DVD player , a $150 Sony Receiver, and $150 Polk Speakers?

They all have specs above that point of human's abilities RIGHT????

Believe it or not there is a difference between the two. The picture is better and the sound is cleaner. You can believe what you want, but I know what I can see, hear, smell and feel.

joetama
04-25-2006, 01:45 PM
HOLD THE FOCKING PRESSES!!!!!!

Really THY, are you ok? Did you fall and hit your head? Cause I'm not sure you are feeling ok today. Cause, maybe you didn't realize what you said in this thread?

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155998

ngsm13
04-25-2006, 01:47 PM

Really THY, are you ok? Did you fall and hit your head? Cause I'm not sure you are feeling ok today. Cause, maybe you didn't realize what you said in this thread?

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155998'

Lawl...

A double standard?

nG

adam71
04-25-2006, 04:44 PM

Also when you OWN both of the other formats, even if you say they're not audibly better... it'd still be QUITE nice to play these discs that you spent money on.

nG

I went from a $200 Pioneer universal player to a Denon $1500 universal player and I can't even begin to tell you the differences in quality..........both build and sound.

joetama
04-25-2006, 04:55 PM
Here is a good rule of thumb about good gear and cheap gear. Some of it doesn't sound better, cause well some of it is a waist of money. But SOME gear does sound better than other gear, which is why you demo gear before you buy it. And, if you don't think some gear sounds better than others, than my friend you are in the wrong sport here cause you just don't have the ears for it.

Now, don't feel bad or get angry because most people don't, it's ok, you will find something new to act like you know a lot about. BTW, if you get pissed or moved or upset by reading this, I'm prolly talking to you. And as I always say "I'm not a mushroom, so you can't put me in the dark and feed me bullshit", so don't try...

Don't worry, it will all be ok....

thylantyr
04-25-2006, 06:12 PM

Those are valid concerns. Lets say you spent $2k on a player with great build
quality vs. a $200 run of the mill player. Your $2k player breaks and you
take advantage of the 5 year no hassle warranty given by the manufacturer,
free repair.

On the other hand, I'm hosed. My $200 player broke and then I have to
buy another $200 player to replace it. Cost cost, $400. I'm still $1600 richer
by not buying the better build quality. In theory, I can buy 10 more players
to hit that $2k price :)

thylantyr
04-25-2006, 06:15 PM

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155998

You said Let me tell you this player absolutly kicks ***. SACD's sound better, DVD's look and sound better, and even CD's have taken on a much more natural sound.

I said One doesn't need to spend
big bucks on expensive sources to get great sound.

My comment was addressing the sonic issue if you look carefully at my post,
nowhere did I mention video. Video on the other hand is a different story,
the eye if very sensitive to video quality issues, there is no argument there.

thylantyr
04-25-2006, 06:17 PM
If that was true, then why doesn't everyone have a $200 Wal-Mart TV, a $120 Samsung DVD player , a $150 Sony Receiver, and $150 Polk Speakers?

They all have specs above that point of human's abilities RIGHT????

Believe it or not there is a difference between the two. The picture is better and the sound is cleaner. You can believe what you want, but I know what I can see, hear, smell and feel.

Again, I'm addressing the audio issue as decribed in my post, specificially
sources. The other issues like TV and speakers are not part of my post,
don't throw that debate in the mix as it doesn't apply. :)

thylantyr
04-25-2006, 06:25 PM
I went from a $200 Pioneer universal player to a Denon $1500 universal player and I can't even begin to tell you the differences in quality..........both build and sound.

You never see this type of claim;
[Hypothetical]

"I just spent alot of money on a fancy audio source and it sounds aweful.

You rarely see this happen. Most if not all the time, the same scenario in a scientific test proves inaudibility.

/food for thought
I can build a world class sound system with a $100 audio player, but I'd have
a hard time showing that if I upgraded that player to one costing 100x
more, you'd hear an improvement.

thylantyr
04-25-2006, 06:43 PM
Here is a good rule of thumb about good gear and cheap gear. Some of it doesn't sound better, cause well some of it is a waist of money. But SOME gear does sound better than other gear, which is why you demo gear before you buy it. And, if you don't think some gear sounds better than others, than my friend you are in the wrong sport here cause you just don't have the ears for it.

Now, don't feel bad or get angry because most people don't, it's ok, you will find something new to act like you know a lot about. BTW, if you get pissed or moved or upset by reading this, I'm prolly talking to you. And as I always say "I'm not a mushroom, so you can't put me in the dark and feed me bullshit", so don't try...

Don't worry, it will all be ok....

The biggest complaint on sources is the DAC's. Good DACS sound good,
BAD DACS sound bad, Great DACS sound great, that is the audiophile way.

They are correct to some extent, but those stereotypes are very misleading to
the public. The industry has matured, engineering has hit it's peak long ago.
No matter how much better you can make your DAC, it's not audible. Even
mediocre electronics will have great DACs. People fail DAC blind tests all the time
because we are a couple of decades past the 'BAD DAC' stage.

What is left is the analog output stages. If you designed a bad output stage
then you will be able to measure it with test instruments to find frequency
response errors and/or high distortion. Usually, engineers do a fine job
at making sure these errors are very minimal. A simple $1 opamp as the output
stage will the the job 100% of the time but esoteric audio folks like to design
discretes because the high end market demands it to justify the high costs.
[false sense of security syndrome]

There is nothing left to influence SQ other than interfacing issues. If you have
output/input impedance issues, then that can alter performance. I would say
that 99% of the equipment on the market doesn't have this problem because
output stages have low output impedance and inputs have high input impedance,
follow that simple rule and you will not have loading effects that influence performance.

The only thing left is Placebo and the Magic SQ Bunny {summer 2006 movie release}

FYI, when I bought my universal DVD player last year, I chose the particular brand/model #
for the video hack, upscale over analog outputs. I didn't shop for an 'SQ player', rather
a 'PQ player' :)