PDA

View Full Version : PVC pipe vs Areoports

CJL
04-12-2006, 04:18 AM
What is the real big difference between these 2?

James Bang
04-12-2006, 06:04 AM
I don't think there is any difference. I think aero ports just have the flared ends, which should be optional. same **** other than that.

Eldorado
04-12-2006, 06:07 AM
^ what he said
Also, general PVC pipe tends to be thicker than the aeroports PVC

Ignatowski
04-12-2006, 06:22 AM
same chit.......
prefabbed flated ports are prettier but take up more room

CJL
04-12-2006, 09:19 AM
So there aint no difference in sound

terry6405
04-12-2006, 09:40 AM
actually i think the flares make for better flow, so thats obviously less prot noise, and i might be wrong but i think the SQ/SPL changes a little, at least im hoping because i already bought 4 of them

terry6405
04-12-2006, 09:41 AM
you can flare PVC with heat and a bowl btw, if that helps

James Bang
04-12-2006, 09:41 AM
So there aint no difference in sound
indeed, there is not no difference:crazy:

ramos
04-12-2006, 09:51 AM

ssshhhhhhhhhhhh ;) :)

CJL
04-12-2006, 09:56 AM

i know but since theres no difference in output i figured i wouldnt even bother

nVRuckus
04-12-2006, 10:06 AM
same chit.......
prefabbed flated ports are prettier but take up more room

LOL actually the flared ports make for no or less port noise. Put a 4" straight tube and your gonna have a fartbox. PVC is fine as ling as you flare the ends to about a 25mm flare or more. this is why prebought tubes are thinner, they flare them but the prebought tubes are in fact PVC for the most part.

CJL
04-12-2006, 10:18 AM
LOL actually the flared ports make for no or less port noise. Put a 4" straight tube and your gonna have a fartbox. PVC is fine as ling as you flare the ends to about a 25mm flare or more. this is why prebought tubes are thinner, they flare them but the prebought tubes are in fact PVC for the most part.

even if you have enough port area you would still have noise if you didnt flare pvc?

req
04-12-2006, 11:11 AM
you will gain more spl's with flares.

you can run without flares with little to no acoustical losses. just make sure you have enough cross sectional area to get rid of any chuffage. too small, and it will sound bad. thats about it.

if you can afford flares, go for it. if not, head to home depot :p:

Raisedin305
04-12-2006, 11:18 AM
PVC pipe is just a pipe. It weight alot more than aeroports. It also doesn't sound as good as an aeroport but is "ok".

Aeroports have flare ends which is what makes them sound the way they do.

There is a difference between the two.

Quicker660r
04-12-2006, 11:21 AM
I just installed the aeroports in my box and I got some port nosie at high volume. I think it would be alot worse with nonflared PVC. So it really helps.
I have some older punch HX2's and I bet it would be bad with a sub with more excursion. I have 1 4" port per sub. I would use 2 4" or 1 6"per 12". If you want no nosie. IMO

ramos
04-12-2006, 11:33 AM
PVC pipe is just a pipe. It weight alot more than aeroports. It also doesn't sound as good as an aeroport but is "ok".

Aeroports have flare ends which is what makes them sound the way they do.

There is a difference between the two.

Aight genius, what do you think areoports are made out of ? Your right, there is a difference. The flared ends. Don't know about you, but most enclosures I build. You don't here the ports :)

CJL
04-12-2006, 11:51 AM
you will gain more spl's with flares.

you can run without flares with little to no acoustical losses. just make sure you have enough cross sectional area to get rid of any chuffage. too small, and it will sound bad. thats about it.

if you can afford flares, go for it. if not, head to home depot :p:

Around how many dbs would someone gain with flares

CJL
04-12-2006, 02:55 PM
Also is it true that round ports let you play more freq than a square port

Raisedin305
04-12-2006, 03:24 PM
Aight genius, what do you think areoports are made out of ? Your right, there is a difference. The flared ends. Don't know about you, but most enclosures I build. You don't here the ports :)HUH? I said there is a difference in the SQ between regular pvc pipe and aeroports.

Pop da Hatch
04-12-2006, 03:29 PM
They obviously arent the same - otherwise ppl would just be buying pvc instead of paying $$$ for 4" and 6" aeros. Make your own FTW!

CJL
04-12-2006, 03:33 PM
They obviously arent the same - otherwise ppl would just be buying pvc instead of paying $$$ for 4" and 6" aeros. Make your own FTW!

I understand that but you know how some people are,the go out and buy whatever the newest forum booner :D

Pop da Hatch
04-12-2006, 03:47 PM
ppl been using aeros for along time - go build a box and swap the same length pvc pipe out with an aero visa versa and test - Aero owns the PVC no way do they have the same performance!!!!!

InhumanAcura
04-12-2006, 03:53 PM
Aero owns the PVC no way do they have the same performance!!!!!

x2....

Raisedin305
04-12-2006, 03:59 PM
ppl been using aeros for along time - go build a box and swap the same length pvc pipe out with an aero visa versa and test - Aero owns the PVC no way do they have the same performance!!!!!x3

Decipha
04-12-2006, 04:02 PM
uhhh... x3

:confused:

no actual hands on experience, at least not with aero, i've done a few installs with pvc, never had a problem with port noise, just be sure to make the port wide ...just have to make it longer

Raisedin305
04-12-2006, 04:04 PM
uhhh... x3

:confused:???

vorgath
04-13-2006, 01:51 AM
Can one use black ABS plastic pipe ? Will it tend to crack when heated when one flares it ?

They got both at Home Depot, white PVC and black ABS plastic.

*LOL* My interior will be black so .... lol

Eldorado
04-13-2006, 03:21 AM
I used the black plastic ABS before.
It wasnt as round as PVC

vorgath
04-13-2006, 02:29 PM
Not as round ????

tRiGgEr
04-13-2006, 04:42 PM

Aight genius, what do you think areoports are made out of ? Your right, there is a difference. The flared ends. Don't know about you, but most enclosures I build. You don't here the ports

HUH? I said there is a difference in the SQ between regular pvc pipe and aeroports.

Yeah you did.

tRiGgEr
04-13-2006, 04:43 PM
Around how many dbs would someone gain with flares

You can't just pull a number out of a hat and say, that's how much you will gain. It will be different with every install/product.

At least .3db gain if that helps:cool:

tRiGgEr
04-13-2006, 04:45 PM
Can one use black ABS plastic pipe ? Will it tend to crack when heated when one flares it ?

Yes and no.

You just have to be carefull with the heat. Don't over heat it, take your time.

req
04-13-2006, 04:46 PM
Aight genius, what do you think areoports are made out of ? Your right, there is a difference. The flared ends. Don't know about you, but most enclosures I build. You don't here the ports :)

...and most of the time when I spell words in a sentence, I spell them correctly and in context. ;)

sorry brother! had to :laugh:

you could gain a few decibels by putting on flares, or you might not gain at all. it all depends on the installation. but chances are you will gain a few tenths at the absolute LEAST - but in a daily setup, its not worth the extra money IMO, because i would just slot-port it :)

and if you install PVC right, the SQ should be just about the same as with an aeroport. imo - aero's are more for SPL gain than anything else. try and make your own, or just dont bother and you likely will not even hear an audible difference if you tune it correctly.

Eldorado
04-13-2006, 09:11 PM
Not as round ????
Ya, it wasnt perfectly circular