PDA

View Full Version : Please Post the CONS & PROS of your currnet HU

Pigskin
04-11-2006, 02:10 AM
HI..Iam new here...I decided to start a thread for those who are new into the car audio world. So if you all don't mind..please list some pros and cons of your current HU

Alpine 9855

Pros: large boilite display (good at night/**** at daylight), can change colors to match car interior,
Cons: Glide strip...****, max volume only goes up to 23..after that it stays the same. you have to navigate deep into the menu to get to the feature you want

THanks

AFaceInTheCrowd
04-11-2006, 02:46 AM
Eclipse cd5000

in short,
Pros: 8v preouts, e-iserv, time alignment, circle surround, trubass, parametric eq, area shot
Cons: no full color screen, not as many features as i'd hoped it had, not a cd7000

amartin_72
04-11-2006, 03:05 AM
Carputer

Pros-music storage, dvd storage, visualizations, signal processing, wow effect.
Cons-size, cost if you dont alredy have most of the components, 1.5v single preout without soundcard -need to make a custom dash if you want it to look good

jujumantb
04-11-2006, 03:14 AM
Not to rag on you, but a thread like this isnt going to provide a very good resource for somebody looking to buy a deck.

First of all, there are TONS of decks out there in MANY different price categories, its much easier for somebody to make their own thread with a price in mind and features they want. We have lots of helpful members here to make suggetions.

Secondly, this is a forum of mainly first timers, people who havent owned much equipment and cant fairly and unbiasly review a deck, sure they can say "awesome graphics!" or "crappy sound", but how helpful is that? Especially when they may not understand thet is wasnt their deck giving them the bad sound, but perhaps they were clipping their amp etc.

Anyway, disregard if you feel like it, I'm just puttin off homework again... :)

trd_camry
04-11-2006, 03:31 AM
1996 Toyota Camry Stock Deck

Pros: No One wants to steal it, align flush with the dash..lol
Cons: No Preouts,no EQ, no subwoffers control, 5 character LCD Display

e36m3_98
04-11-2006, 04:28 AM
current drz9255

pros: looks good, sounds good the best so far, simple, no adjustments needed, strong preout, volume based on db scales you can't be a pimp unless you got that
cons: big ole dc dc converter, some of the tunning features are whacky

just for kicks I had these decks previously in the same vehicle

eclipse 8445

pros: sounded very good almost as good as the clarion, good preout section,
cons: lacked bass on my sub, tooo confusing, crappy tunning features.

kennwood xxv-01d

pros: sounded very musical and clean, had a home stereo like feel, very strong preout section, as strong as if not more than the eclipses and its only 5v , looks good, its like a mini computer with the menus (makes you wonder if that deck ever crashes)
cons: made my bass too boomy and seperated, can't make adjustments while your driving without crashing, turn off the dsp and it feels like a tin can

alpine 9855

pros: looks very good imo, glide touch was a ****** at first but became second nature after, gets really stupid loud and clear, lots of good stuff to tune and play with,
cons: had audible low floor noise at low volumes, gave a low pop noise when going from volume 0 to 1. sounded fake did not have a realistic sound feel to it. sounds like *** out of the box.

rating : clarion > eclipse > alpine > kennwood (the bass seperation drove me crazy)

alphakenny1
04-11-2006, 04:33 AM
HU: Eclipse 8455

Pros: Pretty much all in one HU, 3 way xover, time alignment, attenuation all the way down to -30db, 10 band PEQ varying between +12db and -12db, looks good to me, sounds awesome and everything else.

Cons: no way to turn off the sub. PITA to turn off one mid but hey how many HU's can turn off the left mid or right tweet? Remote *****.

JAZN
04-11-2006, 04:54 AM
premier 860

pros: one of the best bang for your buck mid-level sq decks (3way network, ta, 13band geq, etc)

cons: not a fan of the color display, im bored of it lol

Ignatowski
04-11-2006, 07:10 AM
If I could make my own HU it would have
little bits and peices from all the brands.....
Honestly I have owned 4 brands in 2 years and they all have missed in
one area or another.....The perfect HU still eludes me

FoxPro5
04-11-2006, 10:17 AM
Eclipse 8053

Pros: 16v balance out, 3 way x-over network, PEQ, T/A, very good sound, face opens quickly, easy to navagate menus, mute, pause, easy to read, durable, reads any CD you can throw at it, reliable and durable as hell, it's not an Alpine ;)...

Cons: No MP3, face closes too fast when switching CD's

iceteebone
04-11-2006, 12:03 PM
Eclipse 8053

Pros: 16v balance out, 3 way x-over network, PEQ, T/A, very good sound, face opens quickly, easy to navagate menus, mute, pause, easy to read, durable, reads any CD you can throw at it, reliable and durable as hell, it's not an Alpine ;)...

Cons: No MP3, face closes too fast when switching CD's

you won't believe how many cd's i got caught in that closing face :laugh: i was afraid it would take off one of my fingers

alpine 9835

pros: time alignment, 3-way xover with adjustable slopes, fairly easy to use, good xm and ipod controls

cons: for most users the eq isn't large enough, but works for me, doesn't play stratched cd's as well as eclipse decks

this is probably my favorite deck, and have used eclipse 8443, 8053, and 5444, pioneer premier 860, clarion dxz745, kenwood, panasonic drx-900u