PDA

View Full Version : DLS, Seas,or Morels need help

chefhow
04-10-2006, 07:47 AM
All right everyone, the FNG needs some help here. I am ready to finally purchase my comps, I bought my amps and I am having a tough time deciding since I don't have a shop close to me that carries anything better than JL or BA's. I listen to rock/metal most of the time with some classic rock thrown into the mix. The lines I am looking into are as follows:

DLS UP36 3 way setup
Seas Performance
Morel Hybrid Ovation 3 way setup.

THey are going to be powered off an Arc 400.2 amp. Everything is going in factory locations. Doors are matted but not completely sealed. midrange is going in the dash and the tweets will be in the A pillars. All three sets are about the same price so that is not an issue, but I don't want to spend anymore than that($500 max) This is all going in a PT Cruiser. Your help is appreciated!!!:D

FoxPro5
04-10-2006, 08:55 AM
Performance differences will be minimal IMO....install is everything.....spending more $$$ doesn't get you a better sounding car....all three are well-built speakers....

The Seas are two ways, and the others are 3 way. If you can 3 for the price of two then there you go. I have never heard the UP's or the Morels so i can't comment. I can testify to the sound of the Perf mids and would recommend mobilesq.com any time for excellent customer service.

pwnt by pat
04-10-2006, 09:09 AM
You'll probably want to go active with a setup like this so you and utliize time alignment which will be necessary with far spaced speakers. I say go with a 2-way and get another amp and run active. You'll be more than pleased.

takeabao
04-10-2006, 01:53 PM
You'll probably want to go active with a setup like this so you and utliize time alignment which will be necessary with far spaced speakers. I say go with a 2-way and get another amp and run active. You'll be more than pleased.

:eyebrow:

Or, he can stay with his 2-ch, spend less money, and be happy.

Time alignment isn't 100% necessary, especially if you're not looking to compete in SQ or care for perfect imaging and the only thing really important thing to you is tonality.

You can get any passively-crossed-over set to sound AMAZING given the proper install. I'm not sure what's up with this active "craze" that's been going on lately -- seems like a lot of folks are recommending doing it simply because they hear it's a cool thing to do but really don't know all that much about it... That may not necessarily be the case with you, but that's just something I've noticed...

As for what speaker set to go with, I'd say audition all 3 sets and see what you like best... In the end, buy what sounds best to YOUR ears.

I seem to share this line of thought:

Scott Buwalda's Top 5 Sound-Off Competition Myths
MYTH #1: Certain brands win every time. "Equipment was infinitely important in the early '90s, but it's not nearly as important nowadays because the top 10 or 12 manufacturers are all building very solid product. You're going to hear very minimal differences between them. Today, you still have the zealots who will stand by their brand because it's the most expensive and carries the most weight in the competition scene. But the biggest decision for the entry-level enthusiast is to buy what sounds good to your ears."

chefhow
04-10-2006, 02:24 PM

I'm using a JL Clenasweep with the factory HU right now so time alignment is out of the question.

takeabao
04-10-2006, 03:12 PM
I'm using a JL Clenasweep with the factory HU right now so time alignment is out of the question.

I take it you no longer want to purchase the Helix...

pwnt by pat
04-10-2006, 09:57 PM
Time alignment isn't 100% necessary, especially if you're not looking to compete in SQ or care for perfect imaging and the only thing really important thing to you is tonality.

True. The only reason I suggested it was because of the distances between speaker placement. Door, dash (probably up top) and a pillar seem like the "best" spots for placement. Normally, I say don't go active, however under this circumstance...

You can get any passively-crossed-over set to sound AMAZING given the proper install.

emphasis replaced

I seem to share this line of thought
(I don't know if this was intended for me but)

There's a lot of good stuff out there and I realize that. I haven't heard any of the listed sets, so I didn't comment on which he should choose, rather than attempt install advice.

I just assumed with such "high end" selection, a high quality install was going to be taking place.