PDA

View Full Version : performance timer thing? (gtech, 1/4, 1/8 g's, shift light)

Bboy_jon
04-10-2006, 01:15 AM
what do you guys think of it?

http://www.gtechpro.com/ss.html#

http://www.gtechprostore.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=020240

i mean its even got a shift light, what do you guys think?

btw not sure if this is the right place to post this

rick22
04-10-2006, 01:38 AM
From what i can tell all it really does is tell you imformation about your cars performance that is irrelevant unless you are planning on racing or doing performance work to your car. personally i think its a waste of money go to a track for 5 dollars and race all day and learn your times its much more fun and cheaper.

Bboy_jon
04-10-2006, 01:40 AM
and its legal, rather than doing quarter mile runs through the hood lol

ballstothewall
04-10-2006, 02:17 AM
I know Car and Driver did a test of a lot of them and found them to be pretty accurate.

My .02$

heyman421
04-10-2006, 03:43 PM
Ya, they're definitely neat.

It'd be a cool toy to borrow, or split cost with a couple of buddies so you could pass it around, but i don't think you'd get much practical use out of it for more than an hour or so at a time.

You also need to know the exact weight of your car, including your gas, and the taco you ate for lunch.

Lunchbocks
04-10-2006, 11:20 PM
From what i can tell all it really does is tell you imformation about your cars performance that is irrelevant unless you are planning on racing or doing performance work to your car. personally i think its a waste of money go to a track for 5 dollars and race all day and learn your times its much more fun and cheaper.

where the hell are you going to a track to race for 5 bucks all day?? thats a fantastic awesome deal if thats what you pay, my local track is 15 or 20 entrance fee on test n tune days and then another 25-30 to race. turns into a $50 afternoon right quick.

anyway, the gtech seems like a decent device to use from what i hear but the only thing i've always wondered is if it gets all its calculations through sensor outputs and actuator inputs, etc and you have certain kinds of sensor/actuator modifiers or things like o2 sims, if it would still be accurate. i'm just not totally sure how it gets its info, if its got a built in system of sensors then it should be all dandy

rick22
04-10-2006, 11:59 PM
where the hell are you going to a track to race for 5 bucks all day?? thats a fantastic awesome deal if thats what you pay, my local track is 15 or 20 entrance fee on test n tune days and then another 25-30 to race. turns into a $50 afternoon right quick.
ohio has tons of dragstrips most are $15 for all day but the one im talking about is dragway 42 which is 5 bucks a person all day unless obviously its an actual race day or there is a prize pool then it will be more but yea if youre paying that much to drag you need to look at other strips because it shouldnt be more than $15.

marleyskater420
04-11-2006, 04:14 AM

anyway, the gtech seems like a decent device to use from what i hear but the only thing i've always wondered is if it gets all its calculations through sensor outputs and actuator inputs, etc and you have certain kinds of sensor/actuator modifiers or things like o2 sims, if it would still be accurate. i'm just not totally sure how it gets its info, if its got a built in system of sensors then it should be all dandy

Built in accelerometer.

Get the g-tech, friend has one on his evo and was accurate on the ET to .02 the mph was off though, but that isnt what really counts.

If I already didnt have other **** to buy, I'd grab one for fun.

amartin_72
04-11-2006, 04:24 AM
I have an older model Gtech Pro, no shift light, the HP ratings were always extremely low, it said my friends 03 mustang gt with intake and bassani exhaust only had 190hp. Its fun to play with for a little while but unless your really into performance it will be sitting n your glove box after a week, as is mine.