PDA

View Full Version : Kenwood XXV-01D help (I would appreciate it)

TOOL1075
04-09-2006, 07:42 PM
hello everyone, I'm new to the forums here. until yesterday, I was running a LOC from my stock head unit in my chevy silverado to 2 nine.2 amps, one powering my 13kv2 sub, and the other powering my 6500 components. It sounded really great, and there was TOO MUCH midbass from the components, it was ridiculous.

Yesterday, I installed my new Kenwood 25th anniversary deck. I have set my gains with a multi-meter, and they are properly set. I set both of the amps' crossovers to pass-through, and I'm using the deck's HP@60hz/-12db/oct and LP@80hz/-18db/oct. This has resulted in the following:

The sub-stage is fantastic. The bass is very clear, but to get the volume I was once used to, I have to put the sub-volume up to about 7 out of 15. no big deal, the bass is great.

Now, on to the components. The imaging, and midrange/high frequencies are GREAT! However, the midbass is..... not there? Let me tell you, these components USED TO put out some loud midbass. Now, even if I change the HP crossover frequency to "through" on the XXV-01D, they still aren't getting that volume I was used to.

Conclusions/theories:

One of the reasons I went away from my stock HU was too much midbass, lack of eq, lack of features in general, inferior sound quality to after-market (although I tuned it well with what I had to work with) Could the amount of midbass I was used to before be clouding my judgement?

Answer:

I don't think so, because I really notice this. Also, I have read various posts on this forum about people having some trouble getting midbass out of their components with this head unit, or other kenwood excelon units.

I have a theory that the "speaker select" setting on the head unit (which allows you to tell it the size of your speaker, therefore "improving sound quality") could be messing things up. I have a feeling it's a crossover/dsp issue, but I have read the whole manual, and tried many things.

Anyone able to assist me here? I would really be thankful to any insight you guys could offer me!

TOOL1075
04-09-2006, 08:45 PM
I thiiiink I may have fixed it....

see my reply in this post:

http://www.icixsound.com/vb/showthread.php?p=252301#post252301

I think this may help some people with this unit. I'm by no means "new" to audio, and the setup of this headunit is very strangely "ordered".....

Dozy_production
04-09-2006, 09:03 PM
hm... thats weird that the order would matter. I had the same Unit and had no problems with the midbass from my speakers (dls ur6s) . Infact they were overwhelming at times.

TOOL1075
04-09-2006, 09:37 PM
hm... thats weird that the order would matter. I had the same Unit and had no problems with the midbass from my speakers (dls ur6s) . Infact they were overwhelming at times.

yeah, I agree that it's a very strange phenomenon. I assume that certain setting affect the others, etc. I'll have to keep tuning it, the options available are vast.

TOOL1075
04-10-2006, 10:09 PM

When you say midbass, what frequency range do you mean?

vetkilr
04-11-2006, 10:42 AM
I love my 25th..........and yes there are a million and one ways to tune the Dang thing.