PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever rebuild a carburator

CJL
04-09-2006, 02:51 AM
I have a Rochester Dualjet 210 that need to be rebuilt and i was wondering how hard is it to do?

Showrides
04-09-2006, 02:55 AM
I have a Rochester Dualjet 210 that need to be rebuilt and i was wondering how hard is it to do?

I have never actually done it, but I had a book about doing it. To be honest it looked like it was pretty complicated and took some time. Lots of adjusting and such. I could be wrong, but it isn't the easiest of projects.

I would recommend getting a good book on how to do it and read through it. I had a great one but can't seem to find it at the moment. But if I do I will look through it for you and tell you what you have to watch out for.

bonesninja
04-09-2006, 03:03 AM
honestly...i would take it to a shop and let them do it for you. that is cheaper than the alternative which is buying a new one. i just bought a dualjet from summit and it cost $416 shipped. autozone had em for 60 bucks cheaper but from summit it had a much better warranty.

CJL
04-09-2006, 03:17 AM
I got to do something cuz its sucking WAY to much gas,I have a 82 Grand Prix with a pontiac 265(2 barrel) motor but im thinking about putting in a chevy 305(4 barrel) motor cuz im thinking maybe the 265 in having trouble moving the car so it ***** more gas than it has to,since the 305 is bigger it will move the car easier and burn less gas, but IDK any input?

bonesninja
04-09-2006, 03:36 AM
same issue i'm having. I'm going from the 231 V6 up to a 307 V8. I should gain 100 HP with very near the same amount of fuel usage.

CJL
04-09-2006, 03:38 AM
so you think i should change motors?

bonesninja
04-09-2006, 04:35 AM
so you think i should change motors?
thats all on you man....i have a very significant gain in my swap....you should look at the pro's and con's before you decide. I'll have about 2g's in the swap by the time its said and done.

Ignatowski
04-09-2006, 06:58 AM

Carb rebuilding is not really that hard ..I have done about a Dozen in my lifetime
Holleys,Quadrajets mainly - First youll need a good rebuild kit and they arent easy to find these days but if you search the web you can usually locate one and they cost anywhere from 35.00 up
Rebuilding is pretty simple usually,dissasemble,clean and reassemble...

Some carbs are obviosly tricker than others,some have areas where special tools are required and some are hard to diagnose if you are having a problem and need to make a mod .
If it were my car I would definatly try it

Grab one of these too if you havent a parts cleaner
http://www.berrymanproducts.com/Default.aspx?tabid=146

Blazin_Jason
04-09-2006, 01:36 PM
If your car is using lots of fuel make sure that the choke is operating properly. I just finished rebuilding my Holley 4160 600cfm vacuum secondaries carb a few months ago. It was the first time "rebuilding" a carb. It was fairly easy, but the included instructions won't help ya much. If your carb has more parts/pieces just take lots of pics of it as you take it apart. I say just go for it and take your time.

Jason

Lunchbocks
04-10-2006, 03:45 AM
i've never owned a carburated car so the only carbs i've rebuilt are just a handful when i was in school. they arent the most impossibly difficult, but can be more or less tough depending on various types, features, etc. if you feel like giving yourself a good saturday or a weekend and giving it a shot, see if you can find a good rebuild kit with nice instructions and go for it, might surprise yourself and feel good in the end know you accomplished it. i guess its not really for beginners, theres little parts like springs and the jets, getting the float proper etc etc, its the adjustment to make the parts work properly in unison that seems to be the most difficult. give it some thought, and if you're not too sure i dont think it would be an overly expensive shop charge, especially if you do the removal and install and they just do the rebuild.