PDA

View Full Version : Box weight and Bracing??

2 avalanche 18s
04-08-2006, 08:45 PM
I'm about to build a box for two avalanche 18s and i'm trying to decide if i should go with a 3/4" mdf box with a double port and baffle, or should i go with a double layered 1.5" mdf box that also has a double port. The thing holding me back from double layered is that its a 15^3 box and with speakers i'm looking at an easy 500lbs. I drive a 98 tahoe (4x4) and don't know how much 500 lbs in the back will affect it as far as gas mileage and suspension goes. Another thing i'm having trouble deciding on is what i should do about bracing and how much bracing difference would i need with a 3/4 box compared to a 1.5" box. Any help will be appreciated.

ssj2xxgotenxx
04-09-2006, 12:12 AM
Double baffle, single port in the center, and a ton of bracing.... The single port in the center will act like a brace and give it better overall strength. Place bracing evenly spaced throughout the box and you should be fine.

If your planning to run that equipment, weight shouldn't be an issue since, I'm assuming, your building this system for competitions. Your setup is in no way a practical for daily driving. You can get enough from 2 15"s or 1 18" if your looking for a daily setup.

2 avalanche 18s
04-09-2006, 03:54 AM
bump