PDA

View Full Version : Plz Help Verify

AlpineThumperJ9
04-08-2006, 01:27 PM
ok my friend says that there is no difference between 87 and 91 octane.:crazy: I told him that if you fill up with 91 that it is more combustable thus making more power, allowing you to go faster (especially if your using a turbo). then I told him why would there be such a price difference between the 2 fuels if there was no difference, besides the fact there are additives and better things like that. he said i dont know... please tell this guy whats up! thank you

heyman421
04-08-2006, 02:35 PM
higher octane gas isn't more combustible, it's less

and your car makes no extra horsepower with higher-than rated octane fuel, it only makes LESS power when you use lower-than-rated octane fuel

if your friends car was designed to run on 89 gas, paying extra for 91/93/94/100 octane will do nothing

and if you've got a car without electronic engine management and you put lower-than-rated octane fuel in it, it wont make less power, it'll just destroy the engine

Qoob
04-08-2006, 04:31 PM
Higher octane ignites at a slower rate. The combustion is actually more controlled and wide spread/evenly distributed. 87 might pre-ignite and the entire air fuel mixture may not be burned at it's full potential. So in theory, yes you do gain a little power.

spitfirees20
04-08-2006, 04:33 PM
ok my friend says that there is no difference between 87 and 91 octane.:crazy: I told him that if you fill up with 91 that it is more combustable thus making more power, allowing you to go faster (especially if your using a turbo). then I told him why would there be such a price difference between the 2 fuels if there was no difference, besides the fact there are additives and better things like that. he said i dont know... please tell this guy whats up! thank you

Your friend is wrong, there is a difference. You are also wrong. There is your answer, you are both wrong.

springy101
04-08-2006, 04:34 PM
dood there is a difference of 4 octanes, duuuh! :crazy:

Showrides
04-08-2006, 04:36 PM
If you want power, put some jet fuel in there.

Then you will see how combustible higher octane gas is. And how combustible your engine is.

Lunchbocks
04-09-2006, 12:05 AM

your friend is very wrong, and the only thing you have right is knowing that he is wrong. you obviously have no understanding of the effects of various octane fuels, or the purpose for higher or lower octane so maybe you shouldn't try to tell this guy whats up because you have no clue yourself. learn how to research. once you figure it out, find an online or printed thesaurus and see if you can find synonyms for words such as stupid, misinformed, foolish, and n00b. once you find such items, choose a couple to use to label yourself with, and let us know how it turns out. pick the big words you find so you look smarter when calling yourself stupid.

deadboi77
04-09-2006, 04:17 AM
My trailblazer`05* gets a nice spark knock when i run 87..same with my benz*`74* and theres 30+ years difference between the 2.
now my Heep..she drinks it all without a single hickup

AlpineThumperJ9
04-09-2006, 01:58 PM
Lunchblocks your a *** and a half i was trying to verify somerthing and you pull that **** out. Go to a online theasurus and find some bigs words.. wtf your a cretin hows that for ya ***

Lunchbocks
04-10-2006, 03:41 AM
Lunchblocks your a *** and a half i was trying to verify somerthing and you pull that **** out. Go to a online theasurus and find some bigs words.. wtf your a cretin hows that for ya ***

justified. i am an as*hole when it comes to cars because i've been around a ridiculous amount of completely clueless kids, cocky kids that know a little bit, arrogant f*cks with a daddy bought car etc. its for that reason that i no longer have any patience for even a lot of small questions, any sort of lack of full undestanding of a problem before making assumptions and asking for help. usually i dont take that out on people over the internet but yeah, i wasn't in the greatest of moods.

Ignatowski
04-10-2006, 08:20 AM
one thing I have discovered...
Gas companys dont make the gas...They hire refinerys to make the gas for them and add in there own BS additives so they can call it there own.
87 Octane in TN where I live knocks the crap out of my silverado,but while driving to FLA I noticed that I had zero spark knock with 87 in FLA ...
Which leads me to belive that in my state of TN (as I am sure others are as well) are getting ****ed by gas companys due to some BS regulations or some ****.
There is a difference between 87 and 91 octane fuels,but I bet its different here then where u live
I think our 87 is really like 84 or so,and our 93 is prolly like 90....

I have some 115 octane if you need in my shop,nothing like the smell of
race gas.... :)

heyman421
04-10-2006, 02:41 PM
If you want power, put some jet fuel in there.

Then you will see how combustible higher octane gas is. And how combustible your engine is.

I think jet fuel's pretty much k-1, it'd be about the same as putting diesel fuel in your engine, needs waaaay higher compression to burn fast enough for an engine.

marleyskater420
04-11-2006, 03:10 AM
I think jet fuel's pretty much k-1, it'd be about the same as putting diesel fuel in your engine, needs waaaay higher compression to burn fast enough for an engine.

No.

I read an article a while ago done by Sunoco, talking about the diff octanes and such. Jet fuel isnt actually that good for your engine. It is designed to burn at a constant rpm for an elongated period of time. It doesnt burn like regular gasoline, so thus 103 jet fuel would not be as good for your car as 103 VP racing fuel.