PDA

View Full Version : aero ports

xchaosx
04-06-2006, 04:03 PM
do they work ok it would be alot easier to use them in my new set up i was thinking 1 4'' per 2 12's 4 12's total in 2 seperate boxes

[img=http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/2055/newbitmapimage9oy.th.png] (http://img475.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newbitmapimage9oy.png)

box to explain a little

InhumanAcura
04-06-2006, 05:31 PM
I wouldnt use a single 4" per 2 12"s for listening...try to use 1 port per sub..

Mynameismcgyver
04-06-2006, 05:35 PM
Im using two 6 inch ports for a single 15.....I dont think one 4 inch for two 12's is enough.

tommyk90
04-06-2006, 05:38 PM
One 6" per 12" would be the lowest i'd go (or two 4" per sub)

tRiGgEr
04-06-2006, 05:41 PM
I plan on using two 4" ports for a 10. So... no.

MrSector9
04-06-2006, 05:57 PM
I have a single non flared 4" with a 12" and it makes alot of noise.

I would go with 6" flared for each box :)

Lakota
04-06-2006, 06:18 PM
One 4" = approx. 12.56 in^2 of port area.

TypeRBass
04-06-2006, 08:15 PM
One 6" per 12" would be the lowest i'd go (or two 4" per sub)

:word:

Negrolicious
04-06-2006, 08:24 PM
2 per minimum 4 per is more like it ;)

InhumanAcura
04-06-2006, 08:27 PM
2 per minimum 4 per is more like it ;)

he should be more than fine with 1 4" per 12...2 is almost over kill imo..

xchaosx
04-06-2006, 08:38 PM
thanks guys i'll give 4 4'' a try

Negrolicious
04-06-2006, 08:42 PM
depending on the subs, some subs need 35-40 sqin of port area like SX and DP

tommyk90
04-06-2006, 08:51 PM

Relatively speaking, one 4" port isn't much port area at all.

For a daily driver box, the minimum i would use for a basic 10" sub box (type-r, CVR, etc.) would be 20 sq. in. (or two 4" ports).

Not to say that one 4" wouldn't work, but i would think there would be some port noise and you wouldn't be extracting the full potential out of the sub.

My daily driver box is 1.5 cubes with 12 sq. in. of port, and i get shuffling from the port like no other.

InhumanAcura
04-06-2006, 10:24 PM
depending on the subs, some subs need 35-40 sqin of port area like SX and DP

do you think 4 mt 15"s would need more than 7^3's and 50^2's of port?

ive never messed with these things, seriously...

InhumanAcura
04-06-2006, 10:27 PM
Relatively speaking, one 4" port isn't much port area at all.

For a daily driver box, the minimum i would use for a basic 10" sub box (type-r, CVR, etc.) would be 20 sq. in. (or two 4" ports).

Not to say that one 4" wouldn't work, but i would think there would be some port noise and you wouldn't be extracting the full potential out of the sub.

My daily driver box is 1.5 cubes with 12 sq. in. of port, and i get shuffling from the port like no other.

wow, you get a star...

tommyk90
04-07-2006, 02:26 AM
wow, you get a star...

You would use a single 4" port for a 12"?

xchaosx
04-07-2006, 12:23 PM
last box i had built for the 2 12 geddons had 120'' of port in a 9 cuft' box i may just run slotted ports i know they work

2loud4u
04-07-2006, 02:41 PM
My box for my single 12" mt has 50 square inches of port area.

Trixter
04-07-2006, 07:16 PM
i use 2 4" areo's for my 15" brahma in a 4cu' box. with only 1200w it did a 146db at 38hz. i use this box for daily driving and didn't notice any port noise. on the other hand, i have made a similar box, 4cu', and 58sq" slot port and noticed almost no difference in spl.

in your case i do agree that you should go with 1 4" port for each sub.

InhumanAcura
04-07-2006, 07:41 PM
You would use a single 4" port for a 12"?

no, ive only said that I would like 2x now..?

I wouldnt use a single 4" per 2 12"s for listening...try to use 1 port per sub..

seems to work well enough for 2 mt 12"s and a t3000?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/meade916/Breezys%20Navigator/DSC04921.jpg

DaGh0st
04-07-2006, 08:15 PM
^^ isnt that meades wifey truck?

InhumanAcura
04-07-2006, 08:17 PM
^^ isnt that meades wifey truck?

its a navigator he did for someone..not his wife...

DaGh0st
04-07-2006, 08:26 PM
oh ok i thought i had seen it before

tommyk90
04-07-2006, 09:29 PM
So because steve meade does it, that ultimately means that it's optimal? :rolleyes:

I can show you plenty of boxes with more port area for a sub, but it would just like i'm following you around trying to **** on all your posts.....

IMO, 2 4" ports per sub would be better. Notice i said IMO, don't take that as some personal attack against your beliefs.

EDIT: Direct from the thread you got that pic from

"thanks....actually its pushing it on the port noise by being so small but i am using Aeroports so i think it will help. Plus they are all the way in the back. Its a girls car so she probably will never get it to the point of port noise being a problem, which i dont expect to be an issue anyway. I only use 110" of port on 4 18's and i cant hear any port noise at all so i think it will be fine. The tuning looks real good. I cant wait to hear it! Its gonna be a minute though, theres so much work involved in molding this thing into the truck i just gotta take it one day at a time and just do it right. Im rollin solo on this so its not exactly gonna go fast. Well when your talking this much resin/fiberglass, the word FAST doesnt come into play.

****id do a bigger port for my 18's but i cant, different story for a different post though"

InhumanAcura
04-07-2006, 10:04 PM
So because steve meade does it, that ultimately means that it's optimal? :rolleyes:

I can show you plenty of boxes with more port area for a sub, but it would just like i'm following you around trying to **** on all your posts.....

yeah, thats why i posted that pic..really.

that would be a far stretch wouldnt it...

*shakes head*

everytime you have a difference of opinion (every ****ing time i post about cars, systems....g/d near anything i post) you make it a point to go one on one with me...i dont give a ****, personally..but, im sure nobody else wants to listen to this bs..if you have something to say that differs from what i have to say keep it to yourself, and ill do the same. keep in mind this includes making smart *** little remarks, then you trying to say all you wanted was for someone to answer the question you never even asked...

let me get it out of the way tho....tcab is top-notch quality **** that will get anything on the planet loud, meca is the ****, usaci *****, dbdrag is for suckers w/ too much money, team pwnage builds systems that make bose look like teh scottie...fuses are the **** aswell...im sure you get the point..

tommyk90
04-07-2006, 10:20 PM
yeah, thats why i posted that pic..really.

that would be a far stretch wouldnt it...

*shakes head*

everytime you have a difference of opinion (every ****ing time i post about cars, systems....g/d near anything i post) you make it a point to go one on one with me...i dont give a ****, personally..but, im sure nobody else wants to listen to this bs..if you have something to say that differs from what i have to say keep it to yourself, and ill do the same. keep in mind this includes making smart *** little remarks, then you trying to say all you wanted was for someone to answer the question you never even asked...

let me get it out of the way tho....tcab is top-notch quality **** that will get anything on the planet loud, meca is the ****, usaci *****, dbdrag is for suckers w/ too much money, team pwnage builds systems that make bose look like teh scottie...fuses are the **** aswell...im sure you get the point..

No offense, but you say things that aren't correct for most situations.

Like the last thing with the car thread (a/c coolant), i proved that they used that stuff until '94 when you claimed they stopped using it in the '80s. I posted that info to show people that if they need a recharge then they are probably going to have to change what kind is used.

How is that wrong? I think it was pretty clear that you just guessed when they stopped using it without actually looking it up. I take the effort to see when they stopped using it, and i post my findings, and i'm bashing you.

Had it been somebody else's post that i was disagreeing with, would it have been such a big deal?

I post about the aeroports saying that it would be optimal to use 2 4" ports per driver to reduce port noise, and even said that i personally didn't have enough port area for my 10" (equivalent to a 4" round port) and that more would be better.

I'm trying to help the kid out and make sure he doesnt get any shuffling from the port, and i know that only one 4" port per sub will do that because i've experienced it myself.

I don't know why you always think i'm personally attacking you, but its getting really old.

Then you come in with some half-assed attempt to prove your point by pointing out one box that happens to only use one 4" port per sub, and when i show that even the person who designed/built the box said that it was cutting it close with the port area, i'm the one who is being an ***?

InhumanAcura
04-07-2006, 11:59 PM
No offense, but you say things that aren't correct for most situations.

Like the last thing with the car thread (a/c coolant), i proved that they used that stuff until '94 when you claimed they stopped using it in the '80s. I posted that info to show people that if they need a recharge then they are probably going to have to change what kind is used.

How is that wrong? I think it was pretty clear that you just guessed when they stopped using it without actually looking it up. I take the effort to see when they stopped using it, and i post my findings, and i'm bashing you.

Had it been somebody else's post that i was disagreeing with, would it have been such a big deal?

I post about the aeroports saying that it would be optimal to use 2 4" ports per driver to reduce port noise, and even said that i personally didn't have enough port area for my 10" (equivalent to a 4" round port) and that more would be better.

I'm trying to help the kid out and make sure he doesnt get any shuffling from the port, and i know that only one 4" port per sub will do that because i've experienced it myself.

I don't know why you always think i'm personally attacking you, but its getting really old.

Then you come in with some half-assed attempt to prove your point by pointing out one box that happens to only use one 4" port per sub, and when i show that even the person who designed/built the box said that it was cutting it close with the port area, i'm the one who is being an ***?

not even going to bother replying or explaining..youre right im wrong. have a nice night.

tommyk90
04-08-2006, 05:35 PM
tommyk90... you're a bloody wanker!

because, it would seem, that you are infact wrong half the time, but can't seem to get it through your ****ed up head, that other people could possibly be right.

DBB, shut up.

At least i didnt get kicked off tpro like 5 times for being a douchebag.

And for matt, please prove me wrong. Show me some more installs like the one meade did (which he clearly stated was cutting close on port area) and tell me with a straight e-face that the setup is clearly better with one 4" port per sub rather than more.

Please prove to me that they stopped using that a/c coolant in the '80's. I beg of you.

Thats right, you can't.

Go ahead and reply to this.

tommyk90
04-08-2006, 08:54 PM
noone said it was BETTER you ******* *******!!!!

they simply said, that a single, flared 4inch port, is enough area for a 12inch sub...

the whole point of the aero ports is that you can use a smaller port, and not get port noise!!!!

bloody moron.

I gave my opinion on what was more optimal for the setup, whats the big deal?

And one 4" port is not enough area for any decent 12" sub, hell, i wouldn't use a single 4" for 10".

Nor would any other respectable box builder. If you have the ability to use more port area, you use it. The original poster of this thread asked what he could use, and 2 4"s would be the way to go

/story

Go make up some more b.s. scores that you got in your moms station wagon you asshat.

And you wonder why you got kicked off tpro so many times.

mazdakid
04-09-2006, 12:09 AM
i got banned the first time from sounddomain kinda for the same reason as that about 3 years ago

tommyk90
04-09-2006, 03:16 AM
I'm sorry, I didn't realise anyone was asking for the optimal port size here, rather, they said what they were going to use, and people simply suggested what would be better, without getting stupidly large...

one flared 4inch port, is enough area for a single 12inch sub, end of story... if it wasn't flared, it wouldn't be enough, but thats the whole point of flaring a port, now isn't it!!!

you're not a respectable box builder, so I don't know what the hell you're on about. lol 12inch sub, flared 4 inch port, simple.

goodluck tuning a 50litre box, to 30Hz, with a 6inch port!!! lol!!!

sorry, I'm abit confused... what bull **** scores did I come up with? lol, ahh... 134dB from a cheapo 8? 137 from two cheapo 8's? don't you wanna believe them? lol and, yes, it was my parents station wagon, till I bought it from them (as I have said many time before) and have now sold it, and have a nice Lexus on its way :)

P.S. I've never been banned from the Termpro forum "like 5 times for being a douchebag" I have been banned once, because someone posted naked pics of a guy, pretending it was me posting them (thats kinda gay whoever did that.. lol) and a second time, just because they could :)

so, go shove your 6inch port up your *** thanx mate.

Just remember, nobody on tpro has ever liked you....ever."

And you have been banned more than once, for obvious reasons.

And what's so impossible about tuning a "50 litre" whatever the **** cubic feet that is, to 30 hz with a 6" port?

And fyi, how about 146 db (on the dash, sealed up) with a $90 10" and 600 watts?

tommyk90
04-09-2006, 04:38 PM
no, people liked me, and still do :) sorry, you really shouldn't generalise like that...

nothing like getting completely offtopic, now is there? lol

yeah, I've been banned from there twice, for the fairly obvious reason that those people need help. Simple :)

50litre box, 30 Hz, 6inch port = 3.6feet long... LOL!!!

and whats your point about the 146dB, blah blah, you're the one that was saying I was making bs claims about spl scores, so I was just asking which scores were the bs ones? lol

goodluck mate!

Whats so hard about a 3.6 foot long port?

Obviously it depends on the layout of the box, but that could be an entirely attainable length depending on the car/box layout.

Or you could use a little thing known as a 90* angle piece of PVC. ;) Sure its not the most efficient or well-performing thing to do, but it is definitley possible.

MrSector9
04-09-2006, 05:10 PM
umm how about how much internal box area that 3.6 CF port owuld take up? yuor going to drop your net CF quite quickly unless you build it outwards.

6" port if it is .25" thick.. 42" long takes up .74 CF. aka 20.85 litres .. going to take up almost half your internal space. have to build it outside the box...

tommyk90
04-09-2006, 05:52 PM
umm how about how much internal box area that 3.6 CF port owuld take up? yuor going to drop your net CF quite quickly unless you build it outwards.

6" port if it is .25" thick.. 42" long takes up .74 CF. aka 20.85 litres .. going to take up almost half your internal space. have to build it outside the box...

I've had slot ports take up almost a cube before.

It's called making the box bigger. ;)

MrSector9
04-09-2006, 05:57 PM
also wiht a bigger box though you get a shorter port.... stupid ports.

perosnnaly i have a non flared single 4" and it makes alot of noise, i am going to try a single 4" flared to see if the noise goes away. the reason for this is i alreayd have a single hole cute :) i am ordering 2 4" aeroports at the same time though so i thoguht i might as well try 1 and see but i imagine i am going to have to go with 2. i cannot see them cutting downon noise THIS much.

nismboy6986
04-19-2006, 05:57 PM
i talked to chad (owner of ascendant audio) and he told me 2 4" aero ports would be enough for a 15" havoc, their new spl sub. keep in mind he said enough as in not the "extract everly lil db from the box" size but enough to give a good enough for daily port area. he has built many of boxes for his customers so i would think he was reputable. i would love 2 6s but i dont have the space.

HotCarl
04-19-2006, 06:00 PM
i talked to chad (owner of ascendant audio) and he told me 2 4" aero ports would be enough for a 15" havoc, their new spl sub. keep in mind he said enough as in not the "extract everly lil db from the box" size but enough to give a good enough for daily port area. he has built many of boxes for his customers so i would think he was reputable. i would love 2 6s but i dont have the space.

what about 3 - 4''?

or even 4 - 4''?

terry6405
04-20-2006, 12:41 AM
im doin 4 4" areos for a SX15, just FYI

hope it turns out good thou