PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Germaniums?

Qfactor03
04-05-2006, 11:32 AM
Are these available in the US yet and where? How do they compare to the SLC or the Hex? I have been looking at the Diamond s600s on ebay but don't like the idea of no warranty except from the seller.

I will be powering the components with the new Soundstream Ref880.4 (4x75RMS @ 4ohms) which is on order.

bikejunkie223
04-05-2006, 11:43 AM
Diamond S6's are a good speaker but not the best around. I had a set and there was a soldering issue with one of the crossovers I had to fix. I would go with Dls UP6's personally (big shock there!)

LeX
04-05-2006, 12:11 PM
the Germaniums are a big step up fom the SLC. I know people rave about the crossover on them being very nice. HeX's i was never really impressed with. Midbass was jsut lacking even with a lot of power

slick rick
04-05-2006, 12:32 PM
ya the Germaniums are better than SLC's but for the price SLC's are excellent.

edit: 6spdcoupe sells Rainbow products too. :)

Qfactor03
04-05-2006, 01:10 PM
I am interested in the Soundlines, I just wish they had the 1" tweet instead of the 3/4". I have a pm in to 6spdcoupe and hope to get more info soon.:)

NJAV1
04-05-2006, 01:32 PM
I'm in the market for comps..and after reading and reading some more ..I'm leaning heavily towards the SLC's..of course the germs would be very nice.....Ok..updated: The Germs are looking really good....LOL

SuperBlack350z
04-05-2006, 03:25 PM
Diamond S6's are a good speaker but not the best around. I had a set and there was a soldering issue with one of the crossovers I had to fix. I would go with Dls UP6's personally (big shock there!)

By any chance did this soldering issue cause your highs to be overpowering almost to the point of causing pain? I had a pair of hex's in one car and loved them, then I sold the car and bought a brand new pair for the new car, and they sounded very harsh in the highs. I put Alpine crossovers in and that fixed it, so I sent the hex crossovers to Diamond and they replaced them, but I had the same problem with the new ones, so I said F it and sold 'em. Just wondering if this is the same problem.

spudracer326
04-05-2006, 03:33 PM
I think the slc's are alittle over twohundred shipped. I bought my germaniums from 6spdcoupe and he is a very good seller. they arrive on friday....i can hardly wait

Qfactor03
04-05-2006, 04:15 PM
Does anyone have contact info for 6spdcoupe that they can pm me? New here, and not sure if the pm I sent to him worked or not.

bikejunkie223
04-05-2006, 05:24 PM
By any chance did this soldering issue cause your highs to be overpowering almost to the point of causing pain? I had a pair of hex's in one car and loved them, then I sold the car and bought a brand new pair for the new car, and they sounded very harsh in the highs. I put Alpine crossovers in and that fixed it, so I sent the hex crossovers to Diamond and they replaced them, but I had the same problem with the new ones, so I said F it and sold 'em. Just wondering if this is the same problem.
The problem mine had was the tweet blinking in and out randomly, and then you could hold the crossover w/ music playing and flex it a bit and it would stop playing. I doo think the tweeters were a bit bright though (but better than the Polk db6500's they replaced- those things would saw your ear off.)

Ignatowski
04-05-2006, 05:29 PM
HEX's ****,want mine?
Im swapping in my secondary pair of Aura's this weekend as my Hex's have no midbass and my AURAS have a ton mf midbass

HEX's havent been good since they switched from the German speakers and LPGs
to the chinese junk they use now....

Expy2K
04-05-2006, 05:29 PM
CMX > Germaniums

:)

Qfactor03
04-05-2006, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the responses regarding the Hex! Sounds as though they would have been a mistake. I am leaning toward the Germaniums, but also looking at the X Line for their shallow mounting ability and the cal25 tweeter. The SLCs are another option, but I wish they came with the cal25 instead of the smaller .75" tweeter. If I go with the Germaniums I will be making custom kicks for my DC Tundra (very shallow mounting in the doors).

christiankills
04-05-2006, 11:54 PM
I'm most likely goign with xline too. Very shallow speakers =D

my doors ****, needs >2 1/8"

headless
04-05-2006, 11:55 PM
I think the slc's are alittle over twohundred shipped. I bought my germaniums from 6spdcoupe and he is a very good seller. they arrive on friday....i can hardly wait

Oh man, you're gonna love 'em :D What are you going to power them with? I wub my germaniums.

headless
04-05-2006, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the responses regarding the Hex! Sounds as though they would have been a mistake. I am leaning toward the Germaniums, but also looking at the X Line for their shallow mounting ability and the cal25 tweeter. The SLCs are another option, but I wish they came with the cal25 instead of the smaller .75" tweeter. If I go with the Germaniums I will be making custom kicks for my DC Tundra (very shallow mounting in the doors).

Wow, how shallow is the mounting? i was able to fit them into the stock mounts in my 99 camry without adding any spacers... i'd love to get them in some kicks, i think the sound stage would rock. The crossovers on the germaniums have some great tweakability and a specific setting for kick panel mounting. I have the silk version of the tweets and i love them. I have them mounted in the stock camry location at the bottom of the a pillar which needed a bit of attenuation to make them a bit less 'bright' but from kicks it'd probably be nice to have them louder :D They get decent volume from 4x50w (they are bi-amp and bi-wire capable) but needed a bit too high of a gain setting and were drown by my sub (12w6 on a punch 60) at lower volumes... but really come to life on 120w+ (i'm @ 2x140w right now), blending well and getting nice and loud -- with higher gain settings, loud enough to overpower the 12w6 on the punch 60 easily. I think they would **** up 200w per side and not care :D My 2x140w eclipse amp went into protect mode after a good bit of heavy listening...they like the power. 75w would be quite decent though. I've got them crossed high pass @ 80hz/18db...the passive's are set to the stock 2.2khz x-over point (but can be tweaked to 2.6khz independently for the tweet and woofer...hee hee)

I posted a thread recently with install pics (and pics of the speakers themselves) and impressions:
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149933

Qfactor03
04-06-2006, 07:53 AM
The Tundra Double Cab has really tight doors. The limit is 2" deep with no mods, about 2-3/8" deep with a spacer. You can't add very much spacer due to how close the door panels are to the mounting surface of the speaker location. I have read something about using washers to change the spacing of the power window track to allow up to a 2-1/2" depth but no actual instructions on how to do the mod.

The x-Line would allow a straight drop in install, but the Germaniums sure look nice. One more communication to 6spd and I think I will have a final decision made.

Qfactor03
04-07-2006, 02:28 PM
I wound up ordering the Germaniums (thnx 6spdcoupe). The Germs were not much of a price jump from the x-lines considering the price of the x's. I am going to perform the window track mod and add an mdf spacer to gain the space necessary to install them.

Now the wait begins for the new Soundstream Reference amp (240x2 bridged:D ) that I have on order.

I'll post a follow up on the performance of the comps and the amp as soon as I can. That is, if I don't give up and cancel the order for the amp.

LeX
04-07-2006, 03:21 PM
nice ur going to love those speakers. wish i had some