PDA

View Full Version : Critique my box

prochobo
04-02-2006, 05:34 PM
It's 4.7 ft3 after displacement @ 35hz. Built for 2 12" Type-Rs which will be here on Wednesday. I'm probably gonna get docked by you guys for not doing vertical bracing, but I figure the port would be sufficient. I just wanna know what I can do to make it better next time I build (besides more bracing).

http://prochobo.com/Pictures/type-r box 001.jpg
http://prochobo.com/Pictures/type-r box 004.jpg
http://prochobo.com/Pictures/type-r box 007.jpg

baseballer1100
04-02-2006, 05:37 PM
a little overboard on the caulk.

azbass
04-02-2006, 05:39 PM
boo caulk. use wood glue

paint inside of port before build.

round port corners.

prochobo
04-02-2006, 05:45 PM
a little overboard on the caulk.

Holy hell . . you're in Louisville too! Does anything ever go on around here?

Anyways. . yeah I did go a little overboard. It was liquid nails if that matters. Better too much than too little right? I also don't care very much about the appearance, if it works, it works.

And yes, I do know the correct cutout diamter.

Pop da Hatch
04-02-2006, 05:46 PM
Didnt really need both those braces maybe just one in the middle. Plus probably wouldnt hurt if you learned to use a router for the sub cutouts.

prochobo
04-02-2006, 06:08 PM
Didnt really need both those braces maybe just one in the middle. Plus probably wouldnt hurt if you learned to use a router for the sub cutouts.

Yeah, I'd use a router if I had one. I only had an old jigsaw, but it gets the job done. I have to admit though, cutting the holes was a pain in the ***.

bonesninja
04-02-2006, 06:27 PM
i personally like seperate chambers for each sub. that would have solved the bracing issue

PV Audio
04-02-2006, 07:02 PM
Not necesarily. If he doesn't have enough space, then that's irrelevant. Looks quite excellent from what I can see. The only thing that I'd do would to use dowels instead of rectangular braces (although I use the latter myself since they have more surface area for gluing in smaller enclosures), and to use wood glue instead of LN. Otherwise, your cuts like a-ok and you seem to know a thing or two about woodworking. Just remember to measure a few times then cut. You might also want to countersink your screwheads next time, if not for aesthetics, then so that you don't scratch anything when you put it in. Nice job.

ssj2xxgotenxx
04-02-2006, 07:41 PM
You should've used a vertical brace to support the top panel... Looks like the top of the box is left completly unstable. Put you hand on the top of the box and see if there is any flex. Other than that, looks like it's gonna work just fine.

bonesninja
04-02-2006, 07:52 PM
Not necesarily. If he doesn't have enough space, then that's irrelevant. Looks quite excellent from what I can see. The only thing that I'd do would to use dowels instead of rectangular braces (although I use the latter myself since they have more surface area for gluing in smaller enclosures), and to use wood glue instead of LN. Otherwise, your cuts like a-ok and you seem to know a thing or two about woodworking. Just remember to measure a few times then cut. You might also want to countersink your screwheads next time, if not for aesthetics, then so that you don't scratch anything when you put it in. Nice job.
i said that was my personal preference Dave.

JAZN
04-02-2006, 09:08 PM
Looks just fine to me. Agreed on countersinking.

PV Audio
04-02-2006, 09:46 PM
You should've used a vertical brace to support the top panel... Looks like the top of the box is left completly unstable. Put you hand on the top of the box and see if there is any flex. Other than that, looks like it's gonna work just fine.
Except...it's fine.

i said that was my personal preference Dave.

:D

SAG3
04-02-2006, 09:49 PM
caulk goes on the inside.....