PDA

View Full Version : fiberglass and tape question

2loud4u
04-02-2006, 11:05 AM
Ok I decide to make some door pods for my mids instead of mounting them in the doors.

So I took some masking tape(cheap stuff. stupid me).
Then i went to town. layed about 4 layers of glass for the back mold.
Everything went fine no big air bubbles just a few little ones about the size of the ball on a ball point pen even if that big.
Let it sit and it hardened really well. So I went to pop off the mold and all the glue from the tape was left on my door pannel and all stuck to the back of the mold.

It Is like the resin went right through the tape.
So i peeled all the tape off the mold and let the back side dry.
Now overnight it is fine.

Really what i am trying to ask is why did the resin do that to the tape?
Was it because the tape was cheap stuff?(should have got green painters tape:) )

Just have a few more plans for fiberglass mods and dont want that to happen to my head liner ect.... so any suggestions are more then welcome.

I am hooked you can do so much with fiberglass that I am going to go nuts with my dash, head liner ect... lol.

Ted5986
04-02-2006, 11:08 AM
next time you might want to use a piece of aluminum foil under the masking tape. the resin will not go through it and onto your door panel. as for sticking to the back of the mold...just peel it off. that is bound to happen.

2loud4u
04-02-2006, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the tip on using aluminum foil.

Trixter
04-02-2006, 12:44 PM
i have heard that the foil with petroleum jully or even non stick cooking spray will work....test first....i haven't yet.

2loud4u
04-02-2006, 11:16 PM
Thanks guys I will let you know how it works out.
I hope it is not raining and nice out tomorrow so i can finish the pods.