PDA

View Full Version : should I go 3 way active???

cjj2d
04-02-2006, 12:03 PM
debating on a 3way active front stage....

I am either going to add a Seas L18rnx in the door and move the mid to the kicks, or just add the Seas to the door and leave the mid out.

what do ya think?

Jaredl
04-02-2006, 02:54 PM
Your tweeter will need to be able to play pretty low if you run it 2-way with the L18. You'd certainly gain a lot of midbass in a 3-way going from 5.25" drivers to 7" drivers.

req
04-02-2006, 03:26 PM
sure why not, if you can afford the crossover\eq and the space. and you have 6 channels of amplifier power.

sure.

well. also you have to want a good sounding stereo :p:

FoxPro5
04-02-2006, 03:40 PM
sure why not, if you can afford the crossover\eq and the space. and you have 6 channels of amplifier power.

sure.

well. also you have to want a good sounding stereo :p:

....and another channel for the sub, and the knowledge in correctly setting everthing up including driver placement, tuning, tuning, and more tuning....well you got the picture. I think you can get just as much out of 2 way as you can 3 way.

req
04-02-2006, 03:54 PM
but its easier to get the most out of a 3 way than it is a 2 way when you have less expierence and you are only using conventional drivers\tweeters.

alphakenny1
04-02-2006, 04:39 PM
it depends...if you got the time and dedication to make kicks and place the speakers correctly and yes not to mention the time to tune, go for it. i'd love someday to run a 3 way active front stage. also you probably need another xover somewhere there.

cjj2d
04-02-2006, 05:05 PM
I have the amps, many to choose from, I have the right crossover for the job PPI FRX-456, and all I would need is the midbass speaker and I am going to a junkyard tomorrow that told me they have an altima out there that I can get the kickpanels off of that I will use to fiberglass in a midrange.

its just the tuning.....

squeak9798
04-02-2006, 06:32 PM
but its easier to get the most out of a 3 way than it is a 2 way when you have less expierence and you are only using conventional drivers\tweeters.

I'd disagree. More xover points and slopes to set, more phasing issues to deal with, more driver placement and alignment issues to deal with, more time arrival issues to deal with, etc etc.

If you are relatively new to DIY/active setups, I'd wait and get my feet wet with a 2-way before I went up to a 3-way.

cjj2d
04-02-2006, 06:37 PM
well after my huge screw up today, I will probably just work on an active 2 way for now while I am messin around with learning how to fiberglass some kicks.

But today after I finished my new Alt, battery and Big 3: I forgot to readjust the amps to the new electrical current they are receiving and forgot about the headunit resetting itself and not saving my crossover/eq settings. and as I was riding down the interstate my front left mid blew on me. DAMMIT!

so I went home and replaced it temporarily with my old MB Quart Q series mids.

jujumantb
04-02-2006, 06:38 PM
"off the shelf" 3-ways are not even worth it IMO, I'm talking when they simply throw in a 3inch "midrange" to a 2way set. The crossover frequencies can be in pretty horrible spots compared to a 2-way, leading to a MUCH tougher to sound right set