PDA

View Full Version : I had the DEH-P880PRS installed today.

aadadams
04-01-2006, 07:19 PM
I had the Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS installed today at my local Premier dealer. I was totally unhappy with my old Alpine CDA-9803. I decided I was going to buy the P680MP to use until the 980BT was released then I was going to sell the unit on ebay after having the 980BT installed. I walk in and guess what they have in the display. Yep, the P880PRS. I also got the Pioneer CD-IB100II while there, because it came in with the P880PRS. All I can say right now is that I was blown away by this HU/ipod adapter combo. This thing is sooooo nice. The pictures do not do the diaplay justice. The best comparison is the Bio-Lite from Alpine. Completely legible in direct sunlight. Simply put, the HU has a GREAT display that can display two lines of text of your choice from your ipod tag info. The photos online do not make it seem like this is possible, but it is. I had to get home for the Final Four, so I am taking this chance to read my manual as I watch the games. I got it for 425 if anyone is wondering. The dealer I used had not even put a price on it when I came in this morning. I am stoked. As people get this unit please post comments and feature discoveries. I am new to this level of tunability in my car, so help will be greatly appreciated.

Mike Troll
04-01-2006, 07:57 PM
pics??

aadadams
04-01-2006, 08:08 PM
My wife is out with the kids and has the camera, so I took one with my cell phone.

zfactor
04-01-2006, 09:40 PM
more info please.... how would you compare this to say the eclipse cd7000?? thanks

aadadams
04-01-2006, 11:06 PM
I cannot give a first hand comparison, because I have only read about that HU. I would say that if you are buying a new HU that the Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS should make your short list, because it truly commands consideration prior to making a move in this market. The current offerings from Alpine are maligned for very just causes. Alpine removed so much of their HU SQ functionality and general features that Alpine users have come to expect that IMNSHO the units truly feel like they were made by someone else. Spec for spec this is one hell of HU. As yet you cannot have navigation on the Pioneers, nor do they have 8 V preouts, so if that is important to you....... I hae read time and time again that Eclipse units are not musical yet everyone buys them for music. this is kinda strange to me. I guess the Eclipse units are good for talk radio....J/K

zachzchw
04-01-2006, 11:30 PM
More pics.........
How well does the ipod adapter function, now that youve had some time to play with it?
On previous pioneer models, the ipod adapter was considered a piece of crap....It would be very nice if pioneer improved in this area.....

cam2Xrunner
04-01-2006, 11:54 PM
I'd stay with the 880PRS instead ofthe 980BT, that is unless you always plan on using passive components.

From what I've read the 880PRS is the only one with 3 way crossovers.

Shinobi
04-02-2006, 12:23 AM
8v preouts arent a huge deal you just have ot use less gain on ur amps when setting them versus 5v supposedly 8v doesnt lose signal as muc has lower voltage ones but if you have decent RCA's and having them not ran zip tied to ur power wire you'll be just fine with less than 8v. I'm very curious about this pro mode on the 880 .

PhatTonyDeMarco
04-02-2006, 12:26 AM
8v preouts arent a huge deal you just have ot use less gain on ur amps when setting them versus 5v supposedly 8v doesnt lose signal as muc has lower voltage ones but if you have decent RCA's and having them not ran zip tied to ur power wire you'll be just fine with less than 8v. I'm very curious about this pro mode on the 880 .

Not correct at all.

The only difference between preout voltage, is the preout output voltage. Nothing more, nothing less.

Nice head unit, and you have a giant button for your hazard lights.

bumpin_blazer
04-02-2006, 12:28 AM
I'd stay with the 880PRS instead ofthe 980BT, that is unless you always plan on using passive components.

From what I've read the 880PRS is the only one with 3 way crossovers.

Not the sme old pro-mode 3-way if that's what you mean. i'm almost positive it doesn't have the same 3-way network that the old pioneer's had. every information piece i read contradicts itself and i didn't mess with the unit when my buddy showed me the box at his shop.

If you got that 880prs for 425 that's a hell of a price, the MSRP is 475 i believe.

the other odd thing, is that website says the highlights are for options not on previous models when i know the 860 had pro-mode.

aadadams
04-02-2006, 03:01 AM
I think he means the P880PRS is the only one of the new 2006 HUs (P780MP, P880PRS, P980BT) that features pro mode. EDIT: I concur, this is indeed the only one of the three new HUs with pro-mode. I am running mine in standard mode though.

I agree, that hazard light button is pretty big and they made the defrost light big as well.:)

The ipod functionality is SUPERB with FAST SCROLLING and FAST SEARCH. You can search by Album, Artist, Genre, Playlist, or Song. You have the option of turning the knob for scrolling or te 7-way up and down on the HU. One of the reviews I read some time ago on the CD-IB100 put it best: "It's not your ipod adapter that makes your Pioneer intolerable, It is your head unit". Most Pioneer HUs are not meant to be used with the adapter, so as long as you buy the P680xMP or better the ipod experience is the among best available. AND, You can do everything that the head unit can do from the remote. This thing is unbelievable. BTW: my simple little set sounds absolutely remarkable. I think I may look into the BT adapter for the 880 instead of going to the 980BT if it has similar functionality.

OT: My wife killed my 4 year old 2MP Fuji camera today. It will not even turn on. So, good pictures will have to wait, but until then I have added a closer shot and one with power.

bumpin_blazer
04-02-2006, 03:50 AM
it has the switch on the side for pro/standard mode?

robbi
04-02-2006, 11:26 AM
Does it have sub out control?

3.5Max6spd
04-02-2006, 11:46 AM
I got one for sale guys...if anyones interested pm me.

aadadams
04-02-2006, 12:50 PM
The HU has the switch on the side. It has subwoofer control as well. There are three screens for sub control in standard mode and they are slope, output, and xover.

pattyweb
04-02-2006, 01:02 PM
Wow, that's nice

>> If you got that 880prs for 425 that's a hell of a price, the MSRP is 475 i believe <<
Has anybody bought from this guy on ebay? Only asking $325? -> http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-DEH-P880PRS-AM-FM-CD-MP3-WMA-Player-NEW-2006_W0QQitemZ9704904575QQcategoryZ39750QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

What is pro mode?

Does it come with the same remote that I see listed for all the other pioneer models?

Are both knobs multi purpose? Or is the left just on/off,volume and the right just a 4 point joystick?

Do you have XM by any chance? If so, can the display show station name, artist, and title at the same time?

Is there any way to loop through radio presets with just pushing one button over and over again?

I was waiting for the 7800, but I'm tempted by this model now. I have no need for color and would prefer a bright easy to read screen.

aadadams
04-02-2006, 01:34 PM
Lots of questions: Well pro mode is a way of running the HU such that it control frequency output in three stages. Youu have highs/tweeters, mids/midwoofer, and sub. The level of tunability is increased because of the tuning features available in this mode. It comes with the remote pictured for the 7800MP and the 9800BT. Both knobs are not multipurpose the multi purpose knob is 7-way not 4-way. The volume control knob is nice because you can adjust it while tuning. I do not have XM. 60 GB ipod for now I have contemplated XM but never took the plunge. I think you can loop the radio stations by using the remote or by pressing the 7-way left or right or up or down (can't remember which) when in tuner mode. My recommendation: Take the plunge, but buy from a dealer in case there are software problems considering this is a new unit. I saw the ebay auctions but I wanted to take advangtage of the two year warranty. The 325 is a tempting price but to forego the warranty for that price is a no no. I bought with my AmEx so the warranty doubles.

bumpin_blazer
04-02-2006, 06:16 PM
You have a full premier warranty and they are about the easiest company to get something warrantied for. I have bought 2 premier decks off ebay as my friend couldn't get them for as cheap(like 10 bucks difference after shipping) or was out of stock on the unit i wanted. the 780/7800 screen is easier to see in direct sunlight than any i've seen to date. the 880 is sweet though, tinkered with her A LOT today at my buddies shop but the 205 vs 330 to get pro-mode just isn't worth it for me.

maxse
04-02-2006, 06:50 PM
Speaking of the 980BT. Any1 know when it is supposed to be coming out already?

bumpin_blazer
04-03-2006, 02:03 AM
Speaking of the 980BT. Any1 know when it is supposed to be coming out already?

not for another month to month and a half.

pattyweb
04-03-2006, 02:16 PM
the 780/7800 screen is easier to see in direct sunlight than any i've seen to date. the 880 is sweet though

Wow, have you actually seen a 7800?

I'm torn between the 780 and the 880. The 880 adds promode with is useless to me. The 780 adds color. But color what? Effects that I would likely turn off anyways. It looks like the 780 also only display 2 lines of info?

What else is really different between the two?

maxse
04-05-2006, 05:26 PM
guys so it is easy to go through premier waranty if I get a unit from ebay?

zfactor
04-05-2006, 07:25 PM
depends on the situation

aadadams
04-05-2006, 07:52 PM
I do not think it is worth it 200 bucks maybe, but for 75 I would rather have dealer support and a true warranty. But, of course it is a risk vs. reward scenario in the end. If I never need the warranty then I wasted 75 bucks......:)

bumpin_blazer
04-05-2006, 08:27 PM
I do not think it is worth it 200 bucks maybe, but for 75 I would rather have dealer support and a true warranty. But, of course it is a risk vs. reward scenario in the end. If I never need the warranty then I wasted 75 bucks......:)

you also got yours for 50 under MSRP which most places won't sell below. So you figure 475 vs 350 you're talking 125 bucks. That's a set of comps lol. I keep debating thogh as I get the 880 for less than that ebay price and the dual 16 band EQ sounds nice.

zfactor
04-05-2006, 10:20 PM
i finally bought one.. ill post up a review when i get it installed...

aadadams
04-05-2006, 11:50 PM
I basically got them to give it to me for that price cause they knew I was an Alpine guy. They figured they had to get closer to CDA-9857 price of $349.00, because they do not sell Alpine. Yeah, that $125.00 would be a nice amount to keep in the pocket.

@zfactor,
I will be looking out for that review.

jeffs42885
04-06-2006, 04:27 AM
I bought one too :D

aadadams
04-06-2006, 11:28 AM
Let the reviews flow like the waters of the mighty MS river....

3.5Max6spd
04-06-2006, 12:38 PM
i finally bought one.. ill post up a review when i get it installed...

;)

robbi
04-06-2006, 08:22 PM
Pioneer has the operation manual available for download. Taking a look at it now!

SuperBlack350z
04-07-2006, 04:12 AM
Does the ipod adapter display the full artist/title, etc, or is it limited to 8 characters like the previous ipod adapter? At this point, this is the breaking point for me switching out my 9835.

1967impala
04-07-2006, 04:13 AM
A Got A Nice 33455 Diabulator With A 6789 Scam Tron Its Very Nice

aadadams
04-07-2006, 10:01 AM
Does the ipod adapter display the full artist/title, etc, or is it limited to 8 characters like the previous ipod adapter? At this point, this is the breaking point for me switching out my 9835.

It displays 16 characters ata atime that can scroll continuosly to display the entire line. You set which two lines it shows. It also shows the track number in the upper right corner.

pattyweb
04-07-2006, 02:06 PM
So where are you guys buying them from?

Looks like on ebay they're averaging around $340 delivered.

Also I noticed that SonicElectronix has posted some additional pictures. I thought that light was suppose to be bright white? Or can you choose? I was hoping it would be brighter than that.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_6822.html#

So it can show three lines of text. But only when surfing an ipod? I hope for XM radio that it can show XM station, artist, and song title at the SAME time.

bumpin_blazer
04-07-2006, 02:14 PM
sonic has the msrp price WAY too high on that deck. cost is much lower than the 350 they are charging at sonic to.

pattyweb
04-07-2006, 02:36 PM
I've been reading up on the manual and so far it looks really good. Seems to me like the only differences between this and the 780 are

1) 780-Color vs 880-White
2) 880 adds pro mode

I'm a bit confused in the manual about changing between presets (my biggest hangup with most radios). I want to be able to switch between ALL my presets using one button.

The manual states that pushing the multicontrol up or down loops through the presets. Is that through all the presets (from all the 3 groups of 6 presets) or just the current group?

Current owners? If you have more than 6 radio or sat presets, can you see if the multicontrol lets you loop through them all?

thanks!

bumpin_blazer
04-07-2006, 02:41 PM
I've been reading up on the manual and so far it looks really good. Seems to me like the only differences between this and the 780 are

1) 780-Color vs 880-White
2) 880 adds pro mode

I'm a bit confused in the manual about changing between presets (my biggest hangup with most radios). I want to be able to switch between ALL my presets using one button.

The manual states that pushing the multicontrol up or down loops through the presets. Is that through all the presets (from all the 3 groups of 6 presets) or just the current group?

Current owners? If you have more than 6 radio or sat presets, can you see if the multicontrol lets you loop through them all?

thanks!

1)780 has 16 band graphic Eq vs. 880 has seperate left and right 16 band eq making 32.
2) 880 has dock for bluetooth device to control bluetooth phone vs. 780 doesn't

that's about the differences. well that and 90 bucks.

pattyweb
04-07-2006, 03:04 PM
1)780 has 16 band graphic Eq vs. 880 has seperate left and right 16 band eq making 32.

This always confuses me when people say this. Is it really a 32 band equalizer in that you have 32 distinct bands to adjust or you just have 2 single channel 16 band equalizers? If there are only 16 distinct bands but you can alter them separately for left and right, then as far as I'm concerned, it's still just a 16band equalizer with a little extra flexibility, that I most likely won't use. If anything it would be a headache. Would this mean that whenever I want to boost a certain freq, I now have to go do it twice? Once for left and once for right? If so, I'd prefer the 780 eq then.

2) 880 has dock for bluetooth device to control bluetooth phone vs. 780 doesn't

I thought the bluetooth was an IP-BUS thing (like the ipod adapter, etc) that any of the units could talk too?

aadadams
04-07-2006, 03:25 PM
The BT adapter will only be compatible with BT ready HUs. The auto time alignment and auto eq takes the best advantage of the seperate L/R eq setup. Preset scrolling is only for the present group of 6. I am not aware of a HU that does that cycle through all bands with one button access. That would ential 23 button pressses to cyle them all. Doesn't mean there is not I have not seen it. It is a simple affair to change the band though. Pressing the band button changes between AM, FM1, FM2, and FM3, and pressing the up/down on the multicontrol knob cycles the presets.

pattyweb
04-07-2006, 03:58 PM
That would ential 23 button pressses to cyle them all.

Nothing wrong with that IMO. WIth FM, one would be hard pressed to find that many stations they like. But with sat radio getting more popular and manufacturers dropping the direct preset buttons from their faceplates, this notion of 6 presets per group is getting outdated.

I have a few dozen stations I like on XM. I don't really care to listen to a particular one. I care to listen to the one that's playing something I like and as such it would be nice to be able to quickly loop through all my favorites to find something I like.

Why can't they up the number of presets and then provide for 'clearing' entries. 3 groups of 24 presets. But if I've only got three presets enabled in group 2, then it just loops through those 3 presets. That would be the best. Then one group for music, one for news, one for traffic, etc.

The BT adapter will only be compatible with BT ready HUs I checked Pioneers site again and the 9800BT and 980BT are finally up. I can't find anywhere else that says any other unit is bluetooth ready. I found the bluetooth adapter but no mention of what it's compatible with. If the 880 really is BT ready and the 7800 isn't, then the 880 it is then!

Another difference appears to be that the 7800 doesn't include the auto-eq, auto-time, and the mic.

aadadams
04-07-2006, 04:09 PM
I am not a satelite radio user, so that is why I did not get your point. BUT NOW, point taken. I could see that being a pain. However before we comment on this functionality we need to see someone examine this unit that actually has satelite radio. The feature you need or something better than standard could very well be there, but not active unless the receiver is attached. I know for certain that the p880 is BT ready, but I am not sure about the 780. Finally, unless the specs changed recently then the 780 does have the auto time alignment.

loserpunk
04-07-2006, 04:24 PM
****, they aren't putting pro mode on the 980....screw pio...all i want is full color screen and pro mode....****

EDIT - maybe they do...maybe i'm not seeing it....cause it's not listed for the 880 either.....anyone have any info on this?

SuperBlack350z
04-11-2006, 02:44 AM
Does this unit have a tilt for the faceplate?

aadadams
04-11-2006, 10:30 AM
The P880PRS does not have a tilt face unless I missed something.

99StangGt
04-11-2006, 10:51 AM
On the pioneer website it says the 780 ,880 and 980 have 3-way crossovers and I thought that meant pro mode. when you drop to the 680 it has a 2-way with 3 outputs. The msrp is 450 for the 880 , 420 for the 780. Also soniks website says the Rca output is only 3.5v. seems like there is a lot of misinformation out there.

99StangGt
04-11-2006, 11:09 AM
So I need an answer for this. When in pro mode are the high and low crossovers always on and only the mid can be passed through? Looking at the manual shows this. If thats so it wont work for me. I only need the mid crossover and want the low and high to pass through.

aadadams
04-11-2006, 11:14 AM
Trust Pioneer's site (I saw a few errors on there though). There was alot of info out there pre-release. If Pioneer says it post release then those are likely the final specs. Though I love the P880PRS I am really contemplating going to the Alpine CDA-9857 or IVA-W200 with the PXA-H701. I did not know that one could add this processor to the new HU for SQ until a few days ago.

99StangGt
04-11-2006, 11:30 AM
you have to use a PXA-H701 with the new alpines if you want any prossesing as the dont have anything in them at all.

aadadams
04-11-2006, 11:40 AM
I only found out about the exsistence and compatibility of the H701 with the new Alpine HUs very recently. I didn't know that the HU GUI was used for tuning when the H701 was incorporated into the system. I thought the H701 was like a pre-amp with little knobs for tuning and setup. If I make a move away from the Pioneer it will be to an Alpine setup that includes the H701. For now I am content.

pattyweb
04-11-2006, 02:03 PM
I too originally was thinking of a 9857. Do you have FULL control of the 701? I've read that only the touch screens provide full control.

I finally got a respond from pioneer about bluetooth. It's supported starting with the 3800.

aadadams
04-11-2006, 02:16 PM
I asked this question and I was told that it was compatible and controllable from the CDA-9857 GUI as well. I guess until someone reports on this directly we are in limbo.

loserpunk
04-11-2006, 02:20 PM
I too originally was thinking of a 9857. Do you have FULL control of the 701? I've read that only the touch screens provide full control.

I finally got a respond from pioneer about bluetooth. It's supported starting with the 3800.

the 9860 and 9861 have full control...i'm not sure about the 9857...but i know for a fact the other 2 have full control

bumpin_blazer
04-11-2006, 03:14 PM
On the pioneer website it says the 780 ,880 and 980 have 3-way crossovers and I thought that meant pro mode. when you drop to the 680 it has a 2-way with 3 outputs. The msrp is 450 for the 880 , 420 for the 780. Also soniks website says the Rca output is only 3.5v. seems like there is a lot of misinformation out there.

the 780/980 have a 3-way network in that you can setup where the high point cuts off, the mid point cuts off and the low cuts off. the difference between this and pro mode, is that the pro mode has a high/low for the mid. the 3-way on the 780/980 don't have that just what i stated it has.

loserpunk
04-11-2006, 04:36 PM
the 780/980 have a 3-way network in that you can setup where the high point cuts off, the mid point cuts off and the low cuts off. the difference between this and pro mode, is that the pro mode has a high/low for the mid. the 3-way on the 780/980 don't have that just what i stated it has.

does the 880 have pro?

aadadams
04-11-2006, 05:29 PM
My manual indicates that you can set a upper and lower frequency cut-off for the mids, so I am guessing, yes.

loserpunk
04-11-2006, 08:08 PM
dangit, why can't they put pro on the 980 w/ the color screen.....

bumpin_blazer
04-11-2006, 09:01 PM
does the 880 have pro?

yes it has pro mode, only one that does.