PDA

View Full Version : Install alarm on my own...?

goose5741
03-31-2006, 04:02 PM
Could i handle installing a 2 way alarm, remote start, and keyless entry system??? I don't feel like paying 200 + to have it installed. My friend installed his own remote start and said it was easy...but i'm sure this would be even more complicated. BTW it would be going in a 98 camry.

Randy Savage
03-31-2006, 04:04 PM
Toyota's aren't tough to do.

I'd suggest at least finding a friend that has done a few to help you out...

project f-150
03-31-2006, 04:15 PM
It is actually a fairly easy car for someone with experience. most of your lines should be located in the main ign. harness and by the fusebox for a 98 camry. most confusing part will prob. be the transponder bypass. I would def. get someone with at least some experience to help you if this is your first time doing something like a rem. start they can be a pain in the ***. Also check your wires with a good dmm not a test light. test lights can backfeed and if your in the wrong line can damage computer circuits

goose5741
03-31-2006, 04:29 PM
I might be able to get my friends cousing to do it/help for cheap (or free who knows) he works at the local audio shop as an installer...they install DEI alarms...idk if he does alarms n stuff though....my friend did his remote start on his civic and it turned out fine (except the heater fan doesn't turn on lol kinda defeats the purpose)

goose5741
03-31-2006, 04:31 PM
It is actually a fairly easy car for someone with experience. most of your lines should be located in the main ign. harness and by the fusebox for a 98 camry. most confusing part will prob. be the transponder bypass. I would def. get someone with at least some experience to help you if this is your first time doing something like a rem. start they can be a pain in the ***. Also check your wires with a good dmm not a test light. test lights can backfeed and if your in the wrong line can damage computer circuits

I have a dmm...not a great one but works good. I'm probably not gonna get around to doing this (or have the money lol) until school is out, but am just trying to figure out if i can even handle it lol.

project f-150
03-31-2006, 04:34 PM
well just be prepared to spend a lot of time under the dash of your car if you decide to tackle it yourself. if you need them i can shoot you wiring info for your car.

goose5741
04-01-2006, 08:25 PM
Next question (i'm gonna try to do it myself lol). Should i save the extra 100 and get like a viper alarm. Or are some of those like 80 dollar no name ones on ebay decent??? They probably ****...but who knows....

Randy Savage
04-01-2006, 08:26 PM
Get something from the DEI family- Viper, Python, Hornet, Valet, Clifford, etc.

goose5741
04-01-2006, 08:37 PM
Wuts the cheapest, decent, 2-way, with remote start and keyless entry capabilities is basically wut i'm asking lol, thx for help

carchrism5
04-02-2006, 11:10 PM
do not buy a no name alarm, i work at a shop that does alarms and we get ppl comin in with ebay sh*t alarms and then have to pay to have them removed because the alarms keep goin off and they cant start their cars. Don't try to cut corners spend the extra money and get a quality product, because if an alarm goes bad ur screwed, its not like if a sub amp goes bad. I recomend directed (clifford, python, viper, in that family) aka DEI
if your friend isnt very experienced i would pay someone to do it. if he is experienced make sure u put aside a full day to do it in case something goes wrong

goose5741
04-02-2006, 11:15 PM
how much does an alarm install cost?

dak0ta_g33k
04-03-2006, 12:15 PM
mine cost $150. i had it done mostly to take advantage of the DEI warranty.

goose5741
04-03-2006, 03:57 PM
ew thats a lot for an install, almost as much as unit itself....idk probably will be a few weeks because i still don't have a job anyways...

bimma85
04-03-2006, 04:00 PM
ew thats a lot for an install, almost as much as unit itself....idk probably will be a few weeks because i still don't have a job anyways...
Actually thats not too bad at all ;).

goose5741
04-03-2006, 04:03 PM
O, well then alarm installs are expensive lol...of course i don't know how much install is on other stuff (speakers, subs, amp etc.) becasue i have done all that myself lol, i guesss that could be kinda pricy too....