PDA

View Full Version : Double-Din Dilemma!

Jmac2043
03-30-2006, 10:10 PM
OK so its not a dilemma, but, i thought it made for a clever title :crazy: :D

I just recently picked up the Alpine CDE-9852 ( http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YkNFaVjP5o1/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=Alpine+CDE%2D9852&i=500CDE9852 ) and the ipod cable for direct interface. This will be my first EVER head unit install so I am a little scared. I am pretty comfortable working on my car, ive just never done any involved audio work. Anyway, on to the point of the thread, my car has a double din space and I will be putting an empty din pocket in the space above where the cd player will go. Now, this is what I want to do; I want to carefully cut into the back of the empty din space and run the ipod cable through that hole. My question to you all is, how can I make this look as clean as possible? I really dont wanna have a gaping hole in my extra din. How can I cover this hole after running the wire through it? I would like for the cable to be free moving, ie pushing back slack into the hole when its not needed and vice-versa when slack is needed.

So all you headunit artisans...how shall I proceed?! Thanks to all for any input. :cool:

95Eclipse
03-30-2006, 10:22 PM
what car is it? whatever it is, just go to any circuit city or best buy and get a wireing harness, dash kit, and antenna adapter if applicable...

Trey803
03-30-2006, 10:36 PM
I have 2 holes in mine where i have switches mounted and it is bad ace. I recomend finding a drill bit that it just a hair bigger and drill. Make sure you let the drill do the work dont push to hard or you may crack tha thing(hasn happened and ive done 3)

Trey803
03-30-2006, 10:37 PM
O ya you can look at my cardomain to see how mine loooks.

Jmac2043
03-30-2006, 11:14 PM
I have the kit...thats not the issue. I want to run a cable through my second, empty din pocket...I want to know how I can make it look clean and cover up the hole I will have to make in order to run the wire through it.

Trey803
03-30-2006, 11:57 PM
Ahh i think i understand now. Maybe try a tiny bit of caulking after you make the hole and then paint it black. If you wanna get crazy you can try filling it in with very small strips of fiberglass and then paint that. Small rubber firewall gromet(i think thats the term) ive got some very small ones that would strech for the plug and then have a better fit around the cord. You could aslo use multiple shrink wraps that would fit over each other and eventually be thick enough to snuggly fit between the cord and hole in the pocket. Just some thoughts.....

Jmac2043
03-31-2006, 01:05 AM
Small rubber firewall gromet(i think thats the term) ive got some very small ones that would strech for the plug and then have a better fit around the cord. You could aslo use multiple shrink wraps that would fit over each other and eventually be thick enough to snuggly fit between the cord and hole in the pocket. Just some thoughts.....

ahhhhhhh, i like those ideas...keep em comin! thanks! :D

azngotskills
03-31-2006, 01:45 AM
Maybe try a tiny bit of caulking after you make the hole and then paint it black.

I think that Home Depot actually has black silicone what would blend nicely, after you drill a hole and put the wire through of course. That what im gonna do, but with a male RCAs->3.5mm headphone jack.

Jmac2043
03-31-2006, 09:22 AM
yeah that wont be as bad to cover up. i, on the other hand, have to drill a hole or cut a slot large enough to get the ipod connector through, lol.