PDA

View Full Version : Alpine 9855 and KCA-420i *****!! Clarion?

cyantist
03-30-2006, 07:13 AM
I just got this setup not too long ago myself and it's not nearly what I thought it was going to be. The glidetouch licks dirty cawks. There are so many things about the iPod interface that ****, where do I even begin? Not displaying artist/title on the same screen is simply retarded. Not being able to scroll thru your playlists without changing what you're listening to. Going back to the beginning of your list every time you want to pick a new song. I could go on.. Basically all it's good for is for hitting shuffle and listening to whatever comes on and wearing out your 'skip forward' button if you don't like it.

My advice? Put only the tunes you REALLY like on your iPod and hit 'Shuffle Songs' on the iPod, since using M.I.X. on the deck is only active until you shut off your car (another engineering marvel). I feel like taking it and slapping the Alpine engineer who designed this POS upside the head with it. I can't wait until I'm rid of it..

Overall I must say that I really like the deck for it's features and SQ, and connected to my MP3 changer it's great, since I really don't ever need to use the glidetouch that way, but still, I'd rather have my old 7998 again any day.. The whole reason for 'upgrading' from my 7998 was the idea of breaking-free of CDs and getting all my tunes in the car, but with Alpine, it's just not a solution as of yet. My buddy just got the iPod interface for his D310, and while it's a little better display-wise, it's still a pain in the *** to use and has the same shortcomings as using it on the 9855.

I'm now curious about the useablity of the iPod with the Clarion touchscreen units. I may go with one if I hear good things. If anyone has anything to say about the Clarions, feel free to speak up. This will be the first time even considering anything but Alpine for a HU, but...

Selling both my 9855 and KCA-420i for $350, if anyone would take it.. (Hopefully they don't read this thread first) :crap:

/rant

Slaugh
03-30-2006, 10:14 AM
holy **** that's a hell of a deal... well, maybe you should have made this review after you sold them hahaha :lol:

cyantist
03-30-2006, 12:02 PM
Well, that's what I paid for it.. I'd hate to have to lose money on it too, but I probably would just to be rid of it. I read all the complaints too before I bought it but I just never believed that it was as bad as people were making it out to be. Well, believe the hype... I thought I was going to be able to make it work, but I think you would need to be an electronics engineer with a little more know-how than the fools at Alpine that designed this ***** because you would have to completely redesign this thing. About the only thing they got right was the good sound quality.

I need some info on those Clarions...

rocky 59
03-30-2006, 12:03 PM
how much just for the 9855?? trade for an eclipse 8443 il be home at like 9 pm central time so im me at- tonysdarks10

chadillac3
03-30-2006, 03:29 PM
Funny thing is...that was the best interface out there in a 1 DIN unit last year. :)

Cris
03-30-2006, 09:25 PM
You could just buy an updated Alpine HU with alpine's new interface that's just as fast as an Ipod...