PDA

View Full Version : Is this an IB setup

azngotskills
03-30-2006, 01:08 AM
If I had a board MDF and cut a sub baffle into and put it on top my my spare tire well, would it be considered an IB set up. Could some one give me some sound characteristics of this vs it being sealed? Thanks

req
03-30-2006, 02:29 AM
if the enclosure it will be in (ie the sealed tirewell area) is large enough. it could be considered an infinite baffle setup. but i dont think the tirewell will be large enough for that. it will most likely be closer to a large sealed box.

azngotskills
03-30-2006, 02:37 AM
if the enclosure it will be in (ie the sealed tirewell area) is large enough. it could be considered an infinite baffle setup. but i dont think the tirewell will be large enough for that. it will most likely be closer to a large sealed box.

I dont think it will be sealed because i still want to have access to my spare tire. I ordered one of the ID Overstock 12' D2, which has a small sealed enclosure but will it work the way I stated?

bimma85
03-30-2006, 02:40 AM
I dont think it will be sealed because i still want to have access to my spare tire. I ordered one of the ID Overstock 12' D2, which has a small sealed enclosure but will it work the way I stated?
You would have to seal the one side from the other...also the spare would take up quite a bit of the lil space you have to work with

azngotskills
03-30-2006, 02:41 AM
You would have to seal the one side from the other...also the spare would take up quite a bit of the lil space you have to work with

If I didnt seal it would it still work or will it sound like crap. I know it would take up some air space, but dont want to lose my trunk to a box :crap:

~Magick_Man~
03-30-2006, 11:25 AM
If I didnt seal it would it still work or will it sound like crap. I know it would take up some air space, but dont want to lose my trunk to a box :crap:
well do you have fold down rear seats with an opening into the trunk?
if you do and dont mind blocking the opening you could do somehting like this.
http://i2.tinypic.com/sm4pqr.jpg
although with just a single 12 instead of 2 15's

~Magick_Man~

squeak9798
03-30-2006, 11:30 AM

It would sound like crap if you didn't seal around the baffle.

IamDeMan
03-30-2006, 11:31 AM
Most of what is called an IB install isn't quite and IB. Ideally an IB should be 10X the VAS of the woofer being used. But mopst consider anything above the VAS to be IB and probably behaves very close to a true IB. I doubt a spare tire well has enough volume for any good size woofers VAS, so that would just be consider a sealed enclosure.

azngotskills
03-30-2006, 12:38 PM
I guess doing my way would be out the question from what you guys say. I dont really want to fold down my rear seats cuz I want a stock look, so IB set up its out. I guess im gonna try fiberglassing my spare tire well. Been looking into it, but seeing if there were easier ways first. I will keep you guys posted and thanks for the input.

takeabao
03-30-2006, 12:48 PM
I guess doing my way would be out the question from what you guys say. I dont really want to fold down my rear seats cuz I want a stock look, so IB set up its out. I guess im gonna try fiberglassing my spare tire well. Been looking into it, but seeing if there were easier ways first. I will keep you guys posted and thanks for the input.
You could always fabricate your rear deck...

Check out csuflyboy's tutorial on the EliteCarAudio forums. Matt did a tremendous job fitting his pair of IDWs into his Audi.

azngotskills
03-30-2006, 01:13 PM

Check out csuflyboy's tutorial on the EliteCarAudio forums. Matt did a tremendous job fitting his pair of IDWs into his Audi.

I saw that and its really clean, but I got a 12. I think it would like a little wierd with one 12" in the middle of my rear deck like that. Thanks for the option though.

azngotskills
03-30-2006, 06:40 PM
I think fiberglass is the way to go for me :) I will keep you guys posted.

req
03-31-2006, 03:33 AM

link or die :)

as far as the tirewell goes, you still dont need to use fiberglass. if you make a board that fits it perfectly, and put some gasket foam down between the board and the floor, and put some kind of nut\bolt down to hold the board, it should seal up pretty well down there. it wont be IB, but it will use the metal floor as your enclosure. you would want to sound deaden it though. it might resonate quite a bit :p:

kotec123
03-31-2006, 03:50 AM
link or die :)

as far as the tirewell goes, you still dont need to use fiberglass. if you make a board that fits it perfectly, and put some gasket foam down between the board and the floor, and put some kind of nut\bolt down to hold the board, it should seal up pretty well down there. it wont be IB, but it will use the metal floor as your enclosure. you would want to sound deaden it though. it might resonate quite a bit :p:

x2

azngotskills
03-31-2006, 04:06 AM
well...suprisingly I already started fibrglassing today. I kinda glassed around the spare tire in the well. That way if I ever get a flat and need my donut, I could take the enclosure off and get to my spare. I kinda suprised myself in how determined I was :D