PDA

View Full Version : peel and seal sound deadening?

thisisausername
03-29-2006, 03:45 PM
I really don't have money for rammat/dynamat ect... and personally I think they are a rip-off. I bought this "peel and seal" asphalt based aluminum roof repair stuff from lowes and it looks exactly like all those mat products and seems to be made of the same stuff as well. anyone have experience with it?

Expy2K
03-29-2006, 03:47 PM
It is great I used around 200 feet of p&s in my expedition then covered it with 200 more of Fatmat and finally a 2 layers of Edead..

:)

takeabao
03-29-2006, 04:18 PM
I really don't have money for rammat/dynamat ect... and personally I think they are a rip-off. I bought this "peel and seal" asphalt based aluminum roof repair stuff from lowes and it looks exactly like all those mat products and seems to be made of the same stuff as well. anyone have experience with it?

I don't think Raammat is a "rip-off". It's great value. Not to mention, Rick's a great guy to deal with.

Peel and seal is garbage. It's asphalt-based. It smells. It doesn't adheer very well.

Raammat and Dynamat Extreme are butyl-based.

Please read: http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

You'll learn a lot.

thisisausername
03-29-2006, 04:45 PM
I really don't have the money for raammat otherwise I would buy it, I have heard good things about it. The biggest problem is that the smallest size you can get is 62 square feet which is overkill for my doors and costs over 100 bux. I only need maybe 35 square feet of deadener which is $35 of peel and seal.
I know this stuff has a mixed reputation but I can't see how it's any different from the other asphalt based mats out there. Any more opinions from people who have used it?

iceteebone
03-29-2006, 04:49 PM
I really don't have the money for raammat otherwise I would buy it, I have heard good things about it. The biggest problem is that the smallest size you can get is 62 square feet which is overkill for my doors and costs over 100 bux. I only need maybe 35 square feet of deadener which is $35 of peel and seal.
I know this stuff has a mixed reputation but I can't see how it's any different from the other asphalt based mats out there. Any more opinions from people who have used it?

raamat, dynamat, and secondskin aren't asphalt based deadeners :fyi:

thisisausername
03-29-2006, 04:52 PM
yeah I know, i've actually read that article about sound deadeners too. I was referring to peel and seal not being any different from asphalt based mats.

nVRuckus
03-29-2006, 04:53 PM
It will work problem is you end up using twice as much to get the same effect of others. 1 layer of damplifier pro is like 3 layers of peel and seal. I guarantee with 1 layer you wont see much of a difference. my trun lid had 3 layers and made no difference in rattle. I switched to damplifier and 2 layers made a big difference. Also the ones you mentioned above are not asphalt deadeners they are butyl ;) fatmat and edead v1 are asphalt and I actually found fatmat to be better than edead and they are supposidly the same thing.

Expy2K
03-29-2006, 04:55 PM
http://www.caraudio.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=4407&catid=searchresults&searchid=4580

tons of p&s

:)

iceteebone
03-29-2006, 04:56 PM
yeah I know, i've actually read that article about sound deadeners too. I was referring to peel and seal not being any different from asphalt based mats.

edead and fatmat are just rebadged peel and seal and go for the same price and have the same effects so i don't know why you keep asking about differences

squeak9798
03-29-2006, 06:58 PM
Search the classifieds section or put up a WTB on the various forums for left-over deadener. You can find some good deals on deadener from people selling their left over/unused/unneeded deadeners.

I would spend some time trying to find a good deal on some raammat or second skin damplifier before I wasted my money on P&S. Huge differences in performance between them.

Sleeklsc
03-29-2006, 10:41 PM
i've got 1.5 layers of p+s in the entire trunk of my merc....its been adhearing perfect for over 2 yrs now....

just clean the surfice well.....i've never had 1 peice even think about comming off...not even were theres double layers( deck lid)

edit: and was smell free from day2 :)

jujumantb
03-29-2006, 10:46 PM
edead and fatmat are just rebadged peel and seal and go for the same price and have the same effects so i don't know why you keep asking about differences
v1

dont_smokerocks
03-30-2006, 12:30 AM
I used 2 layers of P&S on my old ranger on only the left door and compared to the right door with no deadening you could deffinatly tell a differance. I cleaned the surface with a degreaser and it has survived 1 and a half years of florida heat and is doing fine. If you only need 35 ft. then buying the good stuff shouldnt matter seeing as it wont cost you an arm and a leg.

FoxPro5
03-30-2006, 12:37 AM
Peel and seal is garbage. It's asphalt-based. It smells. It doesn't adheer very well.

Naaa not garbage....inferior to butyl, yes. I have 2 layers of said product on my heat shield as we speak. Yes on my heat shield....underneath my car....next to mid pipe....and it has stuck (to dirty aluminum I might add) all winter long!!

In general, like the author concluded and the SDS, you are better off getting something like Raamat because it will pay for itself in the long run.

Click on the install pics link in my sig for a list of other alternatives to deadening ;)

Ayrton
03-30-2006, 01:20 PM
Get the RAAMmat, you will be happier in the end.

mtdewelf
04-01-2006, 10:18 PM
sorry double post. please delete

mtdewelf
04-01-2006, 10:18 PM
going from SS damp to Edead v1 and then back to the Damp i can easily say to save and get 40 ft of damp. the edead stinks when it warms up(and in the NW it's not that warm yet) i am expecting to have to replace with damp in summer. i had to use some on trunk lid and a little on trunk floor and would only recommend if you use at all to keep it on the floor. mine falls off lid.

not to mention that the damp is 10x easier to work with

blue93corsica
04-02-2006, 12:41 PM
i bought and am using grace select product which is the same thing as peel and seal, its a roofing material, i got 225 sq ft. for about $225, although it is much thinner then your regular brown bread, dynamat, etc it is incredably cheap which an excellent adhesion if properly applied, i mainly use it not for deadening of sound but rather to eliminate rattles of metal ratteling, or fiberglasss parts against metal, things of that matter, IMO excellent product

Jaredl
04-02-2006, 03:05 PM
If you work out the cost per POUND of sound deadener, I'd be surprised if it's not cheaper to use a high-quality product such as Raammat or Damplifier. The reason you use butyl (or asphalt for peel and seal) mats is to eliminate vibration and add mass for a deadened cabinet. You use acoustic foam to eliminate road noise. Overall, I'd say it's an obvious choice to buy Raammat or Damplifier (60-65mils thick) for $2/sq ft vs. Peel and Seal (I think 30 mils thick) for $1/sq ft. You'll end up spending at least as much to achieve the same result with an inferior, potentially destructive (when it melts and covers your whole **** car in asphalt) product.