PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 din 7, 9, or 11 band EQ. What's good?

xOld Schoolx
03-28-2006, 01:30 PM
Looking for a 1/2 din EQ. Don't really know whats out there now-a-days. Looking for something that has high voltage output (4V or higher). Been looking at some Alpines and Eclipse EQs. I think I'd rather have the knob instead of the tracks. A little easier to fine tune. If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. ;)

blue
03-28-2006, 01:40 PM
Looking for a 1/2 din EQ. Don't really know whats out there now-a-days. Looking for something that has high voltage output (4V or higher). Been looking at some Alpines and Eclipse EQs. I think I'd rather have the knob instead of the tracks. A little easier to fine tune. If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. ;)
Ok .... I see the name " Old School " , and I figure I'll drop a line here .... from the nursing home of course .... :D LOL
In dash DIN units are mostly a thing of the past , but there are a few exceptions. The ARC Audio piece is sweet for example , but 7 or 9 + band DINs are not the norm ..... Anymore , 5 bands are about all a person needs unless he has SERIOUS sound issues , or is competing in SQ competitions. MOST good HUs have really good 5 band built in parametric EQs.
Bottom line is : If I were going to use a add on EQ , it would probably be an EQL from Audio Control , however I find my 5 band parametric in my Clarion is all that I really need ...... Does this help ?

xOld Schoolx
03-28-2006, 02:02 PM
That helps, but.....(hehe), with today's music geared more towards MP3s, music on CDs are all out of wack. No constants to speak of. One song is heavy on the bass and the next has none. I was gonna throw in my Phoenix Gold LC6 but I just don't want to be running back and forth to the trunk or glove box (for lack of a better word - the Z's glove box is a compartment behind the passenger seat) to fine tune every song. Having something up front to adjust on the fly would be easier. The radio I bought has a 7 band built in, but I'm not sure how its gonna sound (i haven't received it yet & its JVC). Very worried about buying that JVC. They use to be crap and maybe still are. But with a retail price tag of $649, it better be good. Anyhow, going from 7 to 5 would be taking a few steps back. I guess we'll see how the radio sounds when I install it. Nice car BTW. My buddy has one like it. Yellow though....with a few bolt ons and some HREs.

dru
03-28-2006, 02:31 PM
I have the Eclipse 21010 and it does what I need/want.

xOld Schoolx
03-28-2006, 02:50 PM
Is it night and day difference with it? It has the knobs like I was looking at. Any idea what the RMS voltage is? I see 10V advertised, but I'm guessing thats peak.

DBfan187
03-28-2006, 03:09 PM
Voltage Shouldn't Matter.

xOld Schoolx
03-28-2006, 03:21 PM
matters to me and my setup

Chevyaudio
03-28-2006, 03:26 PM
Why? may I ask

dru
03-28-2006, 03:26 PM
uh oh?

DBfan187
03-28-2006, 03:39 PM
the only time you'll ever get that RMS V~ out of it is using 0dB material @ FULL volume.

The key thing to look for is low output impedance;)

blue
03-28-2006, 04:49 PM
Oh I see ... You want to have your cake and eat it too .... LOl
Seriously , just buy a Clarion DRZ-9255 and you'll have EVERYTHING you want. The EQ is fabulous , and it DOES NOT CLIP !! This means you can use ALL of the volume control and have 8 volt pre-out.
Your desire for a DIN style EQ has been narrowed down considerably after reading your posts ..... Buy Arc Audio ...... ;)

Dozy_production
03-28-2006, 05:35 PM
reading this thread is like listening to a used car salesman.

xOld Schoolx
03-28-2006, 07:15 PM
Oh I see ... You want to have your cake and eat it too .... LOl
Seriously , just buy a Clarion DRZ-9255 and you'll have EVERYTHING you want. The EQ is fabulous , and it DOES NOT CLIP !! This means you can use ALL of the volume control and have 8 volt pre-out.
Your desire for a DIN style EQ has been narrowed down considerably after reading your posts ..... Buy Arc Audio ...... ;)

Already bought a radio. Needed somthing to play DVDs as I have a screen where the navigation normally goes on a Z. Most stand alone dvd players don't have detachable face, that's why I opted for a HU that plays CDs as well as DVDs. There's not alot of room in the Z and I need a place for my nitrous switches (which is right under the head unit).

xOld Schoolx
03-28-2006, 07:22 PM
the only time you'll ever get that RMS V~ out of it is using 0dB material @ FULL volume.

The key thing to look for is low output impedance;)

Appreciate the advise. Not wanting to turn this into another "voltage on preouts doesn't matter" thread. I've seem these debates get too ugly. All I will say is that preout voltage is like a pair of big ******* on a hot chick. You don't need big ******* for her to look good. You don't need them when you're banging her, but its sure nice to have em. :crazy:

xOld Schoolx
03-28-2006, 07:31 PM
reading this thread is like listening to a used car salesman.

Whatever that means. Don't you have another level to beat so you can save the Princess?

Dozy_production
03-28-2006, 07:54 PM
Whatever that means. Don't you have another level to beat so you can save the Princess?

whats snuggled up in your ***? Dont i have another level to beat? Ive been beating it so hard the princess is almost there. :crazy:

blue
03-28-2006, 08:05 PM
Ha ha ha ..... That's about as fuggin funny as it gets ~!!! :hihorse: :laugh: :laugh:
Here's the dilema .... There is just not very many high end DIN style EQs made .... and the ones that are , are usually full DIN style.
Regardless of you having just bought a new CD player , using the built in EQ is by far your best bet. I just don't personally know about JVC and quality DSP ....
Good Luck !;)

xOld Schoolx
03-28-2006, 11:40 PM
whats snuggled up in your ***? Dont i have another level to beat? Ive been beating it so hard the princess is almost there. :crazy:

what snuggled up my ***? Good one. lol. I saw your 1up pic and thought I'd make fun. :D

Dozy_production
03-28-2006, 11:45 PM
lol understood. i was just commenting on blue's salesman like praise on the clarion (or whatever company's) unit. about your question couldnt you find a 30 band eq and just hide it under your seat?

xOld Schoolx
03-29-2006, 09:51 AM
lol understood. i was just commenting on blue's salesman like praise on the clarion (or whatever company's) unit. about your question couldnt you find a 30 band eq and just hide it under your seat?

I might be able to do that. Its kinda tight under there. Heated/Power seats have alot of hardware. I think my cousin has a Audiocontrol 3.1. I'll use that to see if it will fit. Appreciate it.

cyantist
03-30-2006, 07:16 AM
I was going to suggest an Audiocontrol 4.1. Probably the best you're going to find in a half DIN setup.

blue
03-30-2006, 11:48 AM
I was going to suggest an Audiocontrol 4.1. Probably the best you're going to find in a half DIN setup.
VERY good suggestion ... I had forgot about that piece. Thinking about it , Eclipse used to make a good 1/2 din that was 7 band parametric ..... I don't remember the model # though ...

blue
03-30-2006, 11:56 AM
Precision Power PAR-650 is another choice .....
here's the info :

Born of the rich heritage of state of the art, competition-grade processors PrecisionPower has always been noted for, the PAR-650 is a semi-parametric ("paragraphic") 5-band equalizer that allows for easy sound adjustment. With variable equalizer frequencies and a variable 2-way crossover, you can master the sound of even the most elaborate multi-amp system. Dual rear inputs, plus a front 3.5mm mini-jack input, allow this EQ to serve as a convenient source selector. The built-in live drivers give your main amplifiers a healthy 6 volts of clean signal and your sub amp a whopping 10 volts of bass fury! When you're not tweaking, the rotary controls can be pushed back into the unit for a flush look. All in all, an advanced offering of signal processing that is "Absolutely State of the Art." Includes installation hardware and 1/2-DIN trim ring.

Features
Pop-out dual-function rotary knobs
5-band equalizer control
Variable EQ band frequency
Variable low-pass subwoofer crossover with level control
Variable high-pass front & rear crossover
Front/rear fader
Dual RCA inputs & front 3.5mm auxiliary input
Adjustable input sensitivity
6-volt front/rear & 10-volt subwoofer output line driver
Blue LED backlight
Includes in-dash trim ring

Specifications
Frequency Response: 20-60,000 Hz
Signal-To-Noise (S/N) Ratio: 100 dB
Total Harmonic Distortion (THD): 0.005%
Output Level: 6 volts RMS front/rear, 10 volts RMS subwoofer
Dimensions: 7" W x 5" D x 1" H (half-DIN)

Shipping Weight: 3 lbs
Warranty: 1 year

cyantist
03-30-2006, 01:05 PM
Kicker also makes some half-din units. Check on eGay under 'signal processors'. Good luck with whatever you decide...

xOld Schoolx
03-31-2006, 09:49 AM
Thanks guys. I think I'm gonna look into the eclipse and PPI as suggest by Blue. My radio is suppose to be here today. I'll see how the built in 7 band sounds. If it doesn't please me, I'll be investing in one of these models.