PDA

View Full Version : torn surround

jryanbrown
03-28-2006, 12:45 AM
i just recieved my "mint" condition focal utopia 136 w. to my surprise both of the midrange speakers have the surround torn on them. not like its seperating from the cone, its actually torn right after its glued to the cone. one is really bad, torn probably more than half way around. just wondering if there is any way to repair this? ive read a lot about people using rubber cement and other things on their subs, but this is a set of FOCAL UTOPIAS, just wanna know if anyone has ever encountered this?

azbass
03-28-2006, 12:47 AM
well just glue it...

its only focal.....

springy101
03-28-2006, 12:47 AM
wow you got screwed, did you get em off ebay?

jryanbrown
03-28-2006, 06:46 AM
yeah, bought them off of a guy on ebay. but, i just got an email from him, and he said he was gonna refund me all of my money. he assured me that they were damaged in transit. he has 100% feedback so, i dont think im gonna have any problems here. but, if i still decide to repair them, what do you guys think i should use? .............. and yeah, there only focal, lol

foxden
03-28-2006, 10:56 AM
http://www.speakerplace.com/

If you decide to keep them, call these guys. They do mostly repair and have been around car audio as well as home for over 25 years. Good Luck

squeak9798
03-28-2006, 11:15 AM
I would just ship them back, get a refund and look for something different.

Repairing a surround on a subwoofer isn't that bad. Repairing a surround on a mid can have an effect on the midrange performance.

jryanbrown
03-28-2006, 03:22 PM
thaks for the replies. i was thinking the same thing on it adversely affecting the performance. im still waiting to hear from the guy, we'll see what happens......