PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse HU with Digital out....

Banshee28
03-27-2006, 08:51 PM
Here is what I am looking to do: Looking for a top SQ HU < $~450 that will connect to a H701 proccessor via digital out. Originally I was thinking of the Alpine 9860 since it also controls the 701, but I would prefer Eclipse for the improved SQ!
But according to the sites and information online I could find, I dont see where the Ecplise units have digital output? If they do, then I should be able to directly connect it digitally to the H701, right? I know I would need the c701 controller as well, but thats fine since it will also help me tune things better anyway.

Another member did mention that the 8454 and 8455 both have digital out, I was just not able to verify that online from their website or any others I found??

Any sufggestions on this setup?

headless
03-27-2006, 09:07 PM
Here is what I am looking to do: Looking for a top SQ HU < $~450 that will connect to a H701 proccessor via digital out. Originally I was thinking of the Alpine 9860 since it also controls the 701, but I would prefer Eclipse for the improved SQ!
But according to the sites and information online I could find, I dont see where the Ecplise units have digital output? If they do, then I should be able to directly connect it digitally to the H701, right? I know I would need the c701 controller as well, but thats fine since it will also help me tune things better anyway.

Another member did mention that the 8454 and 8455 both have digital out, I was just not able to verify that online from their website or any others I found??

Any sufggestions on this setup?

The CD8454 does have digital output; i have one in my car and i intend to use it at some point. I think it's used for connection to the eclipse commander or dvd system or some such :(

takeabao
03-27-2006, 09:22 PM

Wrong.

You will see no improved SQ at all. You're bypassing the preamp on any HU connected via optical/digital out to an external processor.

Should you get an Eclipse HU with digital and connect it to an H701, you're going to be wasting ALL the processing power since it'll serve as merely a transport -- nothing else.

Do yourself a favor.

Get one of the following:

DVA-9860/1
DVA-9965
IVA-D300/310

Banshee28
03-27-2006, 09:27 PM
Wrong.

You will see no improved SQ at all. You're bypassing the preamp on any HU connected via optical/digital out to an external processor.

Should you get an Eclipse HU with digital and connect it to an H701, you're going to be wasting ALL the processing power since it'll serve as merely a transport -- nothing else.

Do yourself a favor.

DVA-9860/1
DVA-9965
IVA-D300/310

:eek: Wooow...

I did not realize that until now that you mentioned it...Thats true, I will be bypassing the whole preamp system when I go digital out....

So maybe in this case the Alpine WILL be just as good SQ wise? :cool:

Banshee28
03-27-2006, 09:35 PM
you're going to be wasting ALL the processing power since it'll serve as merely a transport -- nothing else.

Then again, even if it is acting as a "transport" it is still reading the disc (I think Eclipse might have better DAC's?), and then at least travel through the system to the digital out. So, if the eclipse had a few better "internals", wouldn't that make it a little better going to the processor?
:(

takeabao
03-27-2006, 09:42 PM
Then again, even if it is acting as a "transport" it is still reading the disc (I think Eclipse might have better DAC's?), and then at least travel through the system to the digital out. So, if the eclipse had a few better "internals", wouldn't that make it a little better going to the processor?

Nope.

It bypasses all the preamp circuitry in the head unit.

Trust me on this one. I used to want to connect a Sony CDX-C910ES to my H701. Instead, I just opted for the 9860.

squeak9798
03-27-2006, 10:11 PM

Not at all.

All the deck is doing is reading the 1's and 0's off of the CD. They're all going to be reading the same 1's and 0's, and digitally sending those same 1's and 0's to the processor. You'll notice zero increased sound quality from switching different decks when using the digital outputs. You are completely bypassing the DAC's (digital to analog convertors, there is going to be no "to analog" conversion happening within the deck), so don't even bother mentioning those in a discussion about digital output.

That's not to say there aren't reasons for using Eclipse (like the 8053). Great build quality, good skip protection, decent looks, etc. But sound quality is definitely not one of the determining factors.

Banshee28
03-27-2006, 10:20 PM
Not at all.

All the deck is doing is reading the 1's and 0's off of the CD. They're all going to be reading the same 1's and 0's, and digitally sending those same 1's and 0's to the processor. You'll notice zero increased sound quality from switching different decks when using the digital outputs. You are completely bypassing the DAC's (digital to analog convertors, there is going to be no "to analog" conversion happening within the deck), so don't even bother mentioning those in a discussion about digital output..
I see.....So it bypasses even the DAC's and all...Now its starting to make more sense.....So for this setup it wont make a diff SQ wise, as long as the HU has the features I need, etc..... :D

Still trying to decide which HU I like better though ..... :naughty:

takeabao
03-27-2006, 11:24 PM
Still trying to decide which HU I like better though ..... :naughty:

Let your wallet decide that one. :)

Eclipse HUs with digital out aren't cheap. Factor in the need for the RUX-C700/701 controller for your H700/701 processor and you're talking a very large lump sum of money.

My recommendation still goes to the 986x series or D300/310 used in tandem with the processor. Proven performance and tuning abilities.

squeak9798
03-27-2006, 11:40 PM
Or, do what I did and find a cheaper, good quality, older unit with digital output :)

Got my Coustic CD-325 for $50 shipped. Co-ax digital output...that's all I need it for. Built by AC Delco, so it's a decent quality unit. Hasn't skipped on me yet either. Not the prettiest lookin' deck ever....but the look grows on you after a while.

Over on ECA right now there is an older Coustic deck with digi out for a good price.

takeabao
03-28-2006, 12:49 AM
Or, do what I did and find a cheaper, good quality, older unit with digital output :)

Got my Coustic CD-325 for $50 shipped. Co-ax digital output...that's all I need it for. Built by AC Delco, so it's a decent quality unit. Hasn't skipped on me yet either. Not the prettiest lookin' deck ever....but the look grows on you after a while.

Over on ECA right now there is an older Coustic deck with digi out for a good price.

Soooooo ugggggggly. :p:

squeak9798
03-28-2006, 12:51 AM
Function > Form

;) :D :p:

Banshee28
03-31-2006, 12:47 AM
Wrong.

Do yourself a favor.

DVA-9860/1
DVA-9965
IVA-D300/310
I have been thinking about the 9860 for a While now...Well, I just picked one up off eBay BNIB ...Should be here next week....Now I just need the H701 to match :naughty:

takeabao
03-31-2006, 02:04 AM
I have been thinking about the 9860 for a While now...Well, I just picked one up off eBay BNIB ...Should be here next week....Now I just need the H701 to match :naughty:
Sweet.

I used to have both. It's a pretty solid combo.