PDA

View Full Version : Crossovers everywhere ????? Help!!!

Biker
03-27-2006, 04:03 PM
I spent a good deal of time setting the crossover point's on my amp to get the sound I wanted on my rockford fosgate amp. My fronts are at HP 85hz and my rear fill is at 125hz. Then while setting up my Kenwood KDC-928 HU I noticed there are crossover settings for the front, rear, and Subwoffer outputs.

So now what? Whats best, setting the HU to Through and use the amp? setting the amp to through and use the HU or a little of both?

Thanks

thch
03-27-2006, 04:13 PM
i need a oneliner for this:

i'd use (and do use) the HU as it is convienent. using both is possible, but more of an art -- it may work better, but its harder to know what you did. using both -- slopes add, crossover frequency moves, and more.

adam71
03-27-2006, 04:25 PM
Yes, where as an outboard crossover is the optimal solution I would definitely say use the crossover in the headunit before you use the one in your amp. It is ok to use the low cut filter though.

squeak9798
03-27-2006, 05:40 PM
So now what? Whats best, setting the HU to Through and use the amp? setting the amp to through and use the HU or a little of both?

All of the above ;)

There is no right or wrong, yes or no, best or not best answer to this question.

Try it all ways and see which way you like better. Try using only the HU's xover and bypass the amplifiers. Try bypassing the HU's crossover and using only the amplifier's. Try using both and fiddle around with the crossover points (as thch said...this is more of an art though). Just use whatever ends up sounding best....because, in the end, that is what's really important.

The HU's is more accessible, but probably also a little more limited in available crossover point selection as compared to the amplifier. But the slopes used in the HU's xover may be better for your system overall. Or try a combination of both and see where it lands you sound wise. Just play around with it for a few weeks till you find the most satisfying combination.