PDA

View Full Version : Tweeters as a Cigarete lighter ?

Biker
03-27-2006, 03:56 PM
I have a Rockford Fosgate P8004 - 4X100 @ 4 ohms. The front channels are driving Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 components. 100W RMS at 4 ohms. I set the crossover at 85 hz and cranked up the Gain with HU at 100% to a level below any distortion. Very loud clear nice sound. I also set the Infinity crossover at +4 db tweeter level.

The tweters are very warm, approachng Hot to the touch, Is this normal? Should I turn down the gain? Lower the Tweeter level to 0 or -4 DB?

Thanks for the help.....

ChuteBoxe515
03-27-2006, 04:03 PM
turn it down...they will melt

joetama
03-27-2006, 04:15 PM
Agreed, tweeters under normal cases shouldn't be getting hot.

Slaugh
03-27-2006, 04:29 PM
wow wth are you doing to them? i've never seen that happening

Biker
03-27-2006, 04:45 PM
Is it possible the Infinity Crossover Box that comes with the components is bad. I am sending everything over 85Hz to that box and that box is supposed to send the proper frequency to the Midbass and the tweeters. I cant compare the right tweeter to the left one because the right crossover box from infinity was DOA out of the box causing my amp to go into protect mode so I just hooked up the midbass speaker directly and Infinity is sending me a new crossover.

I guess ill disconnect the tweeter on the left as it is very hot even at a moderate sound level and wait until I can test the right side.

This whole project has been un unbelievable nightare starting with a brand new RF P8004 amp DOA right out of the box, Then after RF fixed the amp I hooked it up and sent 200W RMS to my rear Inginity Kappa 5.1 55 Watt rMS speakers. Speakers blew imediatly and the smoke left my amp again. RF was great, Fixed it again and put new rear speakers in and then the Infinity crossover in the front is bad causing my amp to shut down, Then after removing that the left tweeter is HOT.

Bout ready throw in the towel .....

PS: And could ya all imagne how it woulda went without ya alls help ...

Thanks guys , Im hanging in there. How else am I gonna get the girls .... Im thinking I shoulda used the money and forgot about the sound,,,, Kidding ....

imaspaceguy90
03-27-2006, 04:49 PM
Yeash souns like osmething wrong

loserpunk
03-27-2006, 04:57 PM
so you only have 1 tweet up front? and 2 mids?

so you're trying to push the mids normal and essentially push the tweet hard enough to keep up with both......yea def lay off it a little bit until you get your second xover back and can get the other tweeter in there to take some stress off the one

lifted95blaze
03-27-2006, 07:12 PM
my diamond tweeter blew and when i took it out it was hot to the touch..... lay off of em man cuz it ***** to blow just a tweeter

joetama
03-27-2006, 07:56 PM
my diamond tweeter blew and when i took it out it was hot to the touch..... lay off of em man cuz it ***** to blow just a tweeter
***** to blow anything, but if they are getting hot they are taking way too much wattage.

SofireGuy
03-27-2006, 09:09 PM

Yeah it does **** to blow anything really... my LF kappa tweeter is goin out (its popping) has the car's stock crossover and is hooked to the head unit... its prolly 2Ohm impedence... not my choice but sound nice..... i just wanna punch someone b/c it's going out :crying:

camry_tuner
03-28-2006, 08:32 AM
I set the crossover at 85 hz and cranked up the Gain with HU at 100% to a level below any distortion.

turn down the gains? read the gain setting tutorial? check that out first, cuz that might be causing a problem...

ChuteBoxe515
03-29-2006, 03:36 PM
nah, I had my RE tweets actually melt, and come out deformed looking...