PDA

View Full Version : Audiophile classifieds site?

brandontw
03-24-2006, 03:44 AM
I remember seeing some stuff about that on here not to long ago...does anybody know what site im talking about?

If i remember right it was a site strictly for buying/selling high end stereo equipment. I was telling my dad about it and now he wants to check it out, he is in the market for a really good CD player.

thylantyr
03-24-2006, 01:00 PM
www.audiogon.com

You can get a really really good CD player for $100. You don't need to throw
away money on esoteric players. This is simple technology that is easy to
playback, it's not rocket science :)

Pocket the savings and put the money into something more important,
speakers, room treatments, etc.

joetama
03-24-2006, 05:17 PM
Good site.....

brandontw
03-24-2006, 08:20 PM
You can get a really really good CD player for $100. You don't need to throw
away money on esoteric players. This is simple technology that is easy to
playback, it's not rocket science :)

Pocket the savings and put the money into something more important,
speakers, room treatments, etc.

Thats kind of what i was thinking too.

And also, I think if he spends a wad on his cd player, while retaining his OK reciever ( Harmon Kardon HK3475) It would just be money wasted, becasue that receiver has very limited sound processing abilities, and in my opinion is moderate at best when it comes to sound quality(i have the same one).

But anyway, if i can convince him to cheap out a little on the CD player, what is a really really good one for around 100-200$

Also, what might be a good next step in the evolution of his system?

right now he has:

Parasound HCA1500 amp
Harmon Kardon HK3475 reciever
Some kenwood 5 disk changer for cd player
B&W 601's speakers (although he is using my line arrays right now)
No preamp

thylantyr
03-24-2006, 09:17 PM
Last year I bought a universal DVD player from Samsung that cost me
$126 shipped and it plays all the formats. I'm unable to find any SQ issues with
low cost universal players. This is simple technology, it shouldn't be expensive.
20 years ago, I'd offer a different opinion, but not today.

The first thing I'd look into is to determine if your are driving your
speakers well with the amp. Does that amp have bridging capability ?
If so, I'd bridge it and run one speaker cabinet mono to see if the extra
power does more justice to the speakers. If he likes the bridged mode
operation and extra 'umph', then getting more power might be the choice.

If there is not real audible improvement in sound when you doubled the power,
then your speakers are probably are their limit and you need to look at
other issues to improve the sound.

You can buy whatever CD player you want just to get rid of the Kenwood
brand and get something more interesting, but I'd try to find out what
is the problem with the sound system by interogating him. What does he want
more? Perhaps the speakers in relation to your line array has opened up
his imaginination as to what is possible with speaker design. I'd take him
to the high end store to audition speakers only and find out what he likes/hate
and try to analyze the design of the good stuff.

Unless your room is vacant, I'd do the room treatments last after you figure out
the phase 1 mystery. If your room is vacant and you hear echo when you speak
in it, then you need to resolve that issue asap.

joetama
03-25-2006, 03:39 AM
B&W 601's speakers (although he is using my line arrays right now)

Is he looking at making the 601's his main channels or surrounds, because how much i love those little 601's I dont know how well they would preform for the mains. Unless he only wants to spend that much and only wants something small.

Also, I'm just curious but why are you buying a dedicated CD player? Just curious to see what type answers I end up with......

brandontw
03-26-2006, 03:31 AM
Is he looking at making the 601's his main channels or surrounds, because how much i love those little 601's I dont know how well they would preform for the mains. Unless he only wants to spend that much and only wants something small.

Also, I'm just curious but why are you buying a dedicated CD player? Just curious to see what type answers I end up with......

he already has the 601's, but he took them out and is using my line arrays until i move to a house where i can use them.

He is using the 601's for his main speakers, and he will only have two channels, he doesnt intend to have surround sound or anything. The speakers are definately limiting him, becasue the same amp used on my line arrays is plenty of power. and we have already determined that those speakers are overpowered by his amp.

That list i put was stuff he already has.

PV Audio
03-26-2006, 01:57 PM
..delete

PV Audio
03-26-2006, 01:58 PM
Waaaaah my solid uranium core Einsteineum-free speaker wire is better than your platinum forged 10,000 stranded billet speaker interconnects.

/audiogon

joetama
03-26-2006, 06:44 PM
Oh yea??? How about you just use gold it's still the best conductor....

joetama
04-03-2006, 11:08 PM
Cute.....

PV Audio
04-04-2006, 12:19 PM
Oh yea??? How about you just use gold it's still the best conductor....
IIRC, silver has less resistance? I remember reading that in my physics book. Maybe it's copper, but I don't think gold was first. Lemme check.

PV Audio
04-04-2006, 12:21 PM
Bam:

Conductor materials

Of the metals commonly used for conductors, copper has the highest conductivity. Silver is more conductive, but due to cost it is not practical except as a thin plating to mitigate skin effect losses at high frequencies. Because of its ease of connection by soldering or clamping, copper is still the most common choice for most light-gauge wires.

Compared to copper, aluminium has worse conductivity per unit volume, but better conductivity per unit weight. In many cases, weight is more important than volume making aluminium the 'best' conductor material for certain applications. For example, it is commonly used for large-scale power distribution conductors such as overhead power lines. In many such cases, aluminium is used over a steel core that provides much greater tensile strength than would the aluminium alone [1][2].

Gold is occasionally used for very fine wires such as those used to wire bond integrated circuits to their lead frames. The contacts in electrical connectors are also commonly gold plated or gold flashed (over nickel). Contrary to popular belief, this is not done because gold is a better conductor; it isn't. Instead, it is done because gold is very resistant to the surface corrosion that is commonly suffered by copper, silver, or tin/lead alloys. This corrosion would have a very detrimental effect on connection quality over time; gold-plating avoids that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conductor_(material)

joetama
04-04-2006, 02:00 PM
No ****...... Guess you learn something new everyday.....

PV Audio
04-05-2006, 06:18 PM
Geah. Still, I always buy gold connectors. They may not be technologically superior, but they still look sweeter.

joetama
04-05-2006, 06:22 PM
Plus we don't need to tell people about the scientific stuff....

ballstothewall
04-05-2006, 08:19 PM
Geah. Still, I always buy gold connectors. They may not be technologically superior, but they still look sweeter.

Ah, but they are superior!

No Corrosion FTW

joetama
04-05-2006, 08:57 PM
Yea, copper may conduct better, but it's prolly at it's most pure state and how fast does the corrosion take place?

PV Audio
04-05-2006, 11:09 PM
Probably as quick as 20 black dudes can clear out a TV store.

adio
04-06-2006, 12:47 AM
Probably as quick as 20 black dudes can clear out a TV store.
oh god:rolleyes:

joetama
04-06-2006, 01:36 AM
LOL, did he really just say that?

brandontw
04-06-2006, 01:47 AM
LOL, did he really just say that?

At least he didnt say "as fast as new orleans people can clear out a wal-wart":crap:

IamDeMan
04-06-2006, 02:09 PM
Probably as quick as 20 black dudes can clear out a TV store.PV Audio = Racist:fyi:

At least he didnt say "as fast as new orleans people can clear out a wal-wart":crap:Beer looter FTW!

skadude016
04-06-2006, 02:24 PM
PV Audio = Racist:fyi:

HE IS BLACK! lol

iceteebone
04-06-2006, 02:26 PM
HE IS BLACK! lol

black people can't be racist?

IamDeMan
04-06-2006, 02:44 PM
HE IS BLACK! lolhe is about as black as I am.

yes I know he is a gary coleman twin

PV Audio
04-06-2006, 02:46 PM
oh god:rolleyes:
:D

joetama
04-07-2006, 12:01 AM
You can be rasist against people your own race. Can't you?

ballstothewall
04-07-2006, 12:54 AM
You can be rasist against people your own race. Can't you?

Chris Rock... FTW!

PV Audio
04-07-2006, 10:21 PM
Of course I can. That's how life works :D