PDA

View Full Version : New alpine Deck Help

02GrandCherokee
03-23-2006, 07:00 PM
I have a alpine deck that I used in my old car and was going to put into my new vehicle today. I currently drive a jeep grand cherokee but it has a infinity system in it. Under my back seat is a 6 channel amp. When i went to purchase the dash kit wire harness and antenna adapter they told me i would have to buy a new amp to use a after market deck. They said it would fry my alpine hu if i installed it with the current amp. Something about having to bypass my amp. Well anyways I thought if the stock cd player sent music out what is the difference between that and putting in my alpine hu and turning off the internal amp of the hu. Does anyone know if it is alright to install my alpine or do i have to purchase a new amp?

Vestax
03-23-2006, 07:37 PM
When you send a signal out to an external amp, it's considered a low voltage signal or output. After it's amplified, it's sending a high level output to the speakers or high voltage or current. By putting in an aftermarket headunit, which has an internal amplifier, you'll be sending high level signal into your stock amp, thus causing the sound to possibly get too loud or not play at all. I highly doubt you'll damage your aftermarket hu, but it might not even work at all with your new HU.

Best thing to do is to eliminate the stock amp altogether. The amp will have 2 connectors on it, 1 input (from stock head unit) and 1 output to the speakers. To bypass, all you have to do is run speaker wires from that amp speaker outputs to the stock head unit.

02GrandCherokee
03-23-2006, 08:05 PM
if i was to turn off the amp inside of the alpine hu would that make it a low output signal?

Vestax
03-24-2006, 04:13 PM
if i was to turn off the amp inside of the alpine hu would that make it a low output signal?

Disabling the internal amp turns it off completely. Your low output signal are your RCA's. Unless you know how to hardwire it to the stock amp, I suggest that you don't go this route, it takes a while to figure it out and you need a DMM to do it.