PDA

View Full Version : Looking for High-End and Built like a Tank

Babs
03-22-2006, 02:31 PM
I'm replacing an alpine 9805 with a CD load mechanism that's decided to die.
Granted I've gone through two mid 90's excelons and that alpine, I'm looking for a unit that can at least last as long as my 140k mile isuzu trooper.

No real company loyalty from me at the moment:
I'm looking at Eclipse, Premier, Excelon, Sony, JVC, etc.. but open to smaller companies IF and only IF it is supreme quality that's respected in the industry. I am looking for new from a dealer online or brick/morter with warranty support.

Build Quality and Reliability"
What I'm seeing in the market appears to be very very cheap. Plastic and flip covers that are waiting to brake, with proprietary bells and whistles and limited aux inputs. Typically 1 year or maybe 2 year warranties, and little support for after sale service. It's depressing.. So I've been learning up on "flagship" models.. If one can call them that.

If you're familiar with home audio.. The name Bryston comes to mind.. Built like a tank, super high end preamps, amps, etc... High end components and chassis and excellent power and sound quality, and a 20 year transferrable warranty that says "we make THE best built". Others you might recognize B&K, Krell, Anthem, Levinson, etc.. The best, without being flashy with extra stuff but does what it does extremely well. That's what I'm after in a head unit.. That kind of quality. No gimmicks to sell to the sheeple.. Solid hifi for someone that can afford it.

There's a huge hole in what the manufacturers are offering to fill.

Input capability:
I'm not opposed to having a USB stick input or other type of mp3/aac/wma file input that's relatively simple. Infact, I'd even forego the cd player altogether to rip down to a file format that could just plug into the head unit. I even saw the omnifi products just to find out they still require some head unit, and they're defunct for a couple years now. So input capability would be nice, except where it would come at a tradeoff to build and sound quality.

DACs and Preamp:
Like build quality, I'm looking for excellent processing, even if all it does is play a CD or MP3 or other. Don't care about DSP and gimmicks.. Just awesome two channel stereo.. Burr Brown and Wolfson are some names I'm recognizing being advertised by some units. ok. Good EQ or possibly time correction might be nice. Good preouts are essential.. Infact an onboard power amp is actually not desired or necessary.. Going to all external amps.

Longevity:
I'm after a head unit that WILL NOT BREAK.. Will not fry, will not shut down, will not jam, etc.

Any suggestions? Please remember.. features are nice but build and sound quality are first and second priority. Price, no object. Availability and dealer/manufacturer support crucial. "Good luck" huh? hehe:rolleyes:

Jaredl
03-22-2006, 03:16 PM
Maybe a McIntosh MX-5000 or MX-4000. Those are considered some of the best pure SQ units possible, and they don't have detachable or flip-down faces so you shouldn't have to worry about moving parts. I think retail is about $3000. The MX-4000 is the older version, and I've read it had slightly better SQ.

The Denon DCT-1, very recently discontinued, is another that comes to mind. They are not sold in the US, but Scott Buwalda recently found the last 15 for sale and imported 8 of them, and is going to import a few more soon for people on ECA. I think he was charging a bit less than $2500 apiece, with the retail around $3000. Also does not have a detachable or flip-down face and comes in black or silver.

The P9 or Alpine F-1 are also great, but that's more for when you want DSP.

Edit - I just caught the part about manufacturer support. You may want to stay away from the JDM Denon if you're concerned about support on a discontinued unit. I'm guessing either of those units are rock solid, though.

Babs
03-22-2006, 04:37 PM
Thanks.. These are very interesting.. I've been told about the Denon's but finding a source for them is tough. Thanks for the tip. Yeah I saw the Mac, and actually there's a dealer search there.. So gives me a lot to think about.

Sofar:
Denon (if I can get my hands on a new one)
Alpine (flagships with tons of features and I'll assume fairly good SoundQ and BuildQ)
McIntosh (Probably really good SQ and BQ and not toooo many features but limited dealer availability)

Backing off into the sub $1000 range for giggles.. What about the Sony Specialty stuff coming out. Any good? Or Pioneer Premier or Excelon? These conventional circuitcity brands scare me, but surely they have one or two units that are top notch?

Otherwise, I might have to just step on up and score a $2G unit if I just gotta.
Thanks again.. Great food for thought. :crazy: My head's spinning now.

xOld Schoolx
03-22-2006, 04:39 PM
Going through the same thing as you did with your alpine. Haven't had mine a week and i can't put in a cd. Just shows disc error when I try. Alpine *****~!!!! I have been looking at the JVC KD-AVX2. JVC use to be crap and I started a thread to get some feedback on SQ and build quaility. Hopefully I hear something soon. Something to look into though. Only other radios I've owned that never crapped out were Pioneers, but I hear those have been riddled with trouble as well. Is everything being made in china instead of japan these days or what?

Babs
03-22-2006, 05:06 PM
Exactly what mine is doing but I did get two years out of it playing tons and tons of CD's and.. for $169 I can't knock it that bad... but I'll say my old Excelon Kenwood from like 1993 or 94 blew it away in SQ.. with just flat no EQ. The excelon's faceplate died (imagine that).. So I wanted a unit without the flipface. Only the cheap units had it, so I bought. Eh, worked for two years and made sound.. About it.

Yeah I've looked at a thousand different units to see what's the latest and greatest.

Appears the Sony's and JVC's are trying to make a comeback bigtime.. May just be great webdesign and marketing though.. Hard to say. When I hear a fancy name given to basically a boombox style bass boost, I pass over it really quickly.

I tell ya, if the faceplate 1Gig unit Sony is offering were one of it's better units with better DACs and higher voltage outs.. I'd be very tempted to just be satisfied and pick one up.

I'd be interested in opinions on the new JVC's also.. Their website doesn't explain the differences in this "Arsenal" and "Exad" stuff. I have no clue about it.

By the way, currently running a 4 channel 60x4 I think Coustic amp from 02 or 03.
A little class D US Acoustics mono. Infinity Kappa components front, little ones inback, and an OOOOOLD JL 10W6 that will soon be replaced. It's pretty humble but will improve.

When I do the head unit, I'll probably make use of my new garage and pull seats and carpet and clean up some wiring and do some good soundproofing material. It's time, the car's long paid for.. Can't depreciate much more either.. hehe

xOld Schoolx
03-22-2006, 05:12 PM
I won't buy sony anymore. They stop reading disc at 2 years. Never fails. Discman, car cd, boombox....anything with a cd player that's made by sony dies on me. The old JLs rock. Had one 12 W6 in my civic hatchback. Sounded excellent! Had two 12 W6v2s in my acura RL. Pounded at high levels but low levels were below par. I have Image Dynamic 8s in my Z now with a Memphis 1000d powering them. Infinity components up front like you and coaxils in the back powered by a Phoenix Gold ZX475 ti. All good equipment, but it won't sound good with a sorry HU. Good luck.. Keep us updated in the quest for a quality HU.

Babs
03-22-2006, 05:25 PM
I looked at that JVC you mentioned.. That's a lot (I mean a LOT) of stuff in a single din head unit.. Especially with a 1 yr warranty. LCD screen, Surround processing, DVD, etc. Less than a grand. If you think about it.. more and more and more "stuff" for little cash and a short warranty.

But that seems to be the way a lot of these units are. Flash and features in a 3lb unit an no warranty to back 'er up.

My dream head unit would weigh 7lbs, have 2 or 3 great preout pairs, CD only with great DACs or possibly even a separate DAC/preamp setup. maybe just maybe have MP3/WMA/AAC capability with some kind of external USB or SD input into auxiliary.. And for a reeeeeal stretch, have an external bluetooth hookup for a cellphone. After all that, possibly an external parametric and call it done.

Add an orange crush soda tap and crushed ice dispensor and you got somethin' :)

Oh.. And God Bless Texas!

xOld Schoolx
03-22-2006, 05:44 PM
Haha. While we're at it, can we get a nake chick that pops out of the box when you go to install the radio. lol.

True the JVC has alot of stuff in a single din, but alot of radios are going this way. Warranties seem to be far and few between. And in todays corporate owned world, they really don't mean squat. I don't wanna send my radio out for 10-12 weeks so someone on the other side of the world can fix it. Unless you buy a warranty from a third party that offers free replacement, it doesn't mean anything to me. Most of the shops will take back their stuff if its DOA. That's the only thing that saved me this time. Had it been a month later, I'd be without a radio for who knows how long. I'm starting to feel old when I say this, but they don't make em like they use to. Everything I see is either made in mexico or china. Cheap labor isn't a bad thing, but bad quality is. I might try to locate a Denon unit. I had some of their stuff before. Pretty good equipment. Haven't really justified spending $3Gs on a head unit so I've never used Mcintosh. Oh well. Just ordered the JVC through my cousin. He doesn't like the idea much, but we shall see. I'll keep you posted. God bless Texas? lol Houston isn't like the rest of the state - 3rd largest city in the US. Someone needs to bless the highway, traffic blows here - big time!

jimmyjames1700
03-22-2006, 06:18 PM
I'm replacing an alpine 9805 with a CD load mechanism that's decided to die.
Granted I've gone through two mid 90's excelons and that alpine, I'm looking for a unit that can at least last as long as my 140k mile isuzu trooper.

No real company loyalty from me at the moment:
I'm looking at Eclipse, Premier, Excelon, Sony, JVC, etc.. but open to smaller companies IF and only IF it is supreme quality that's respected in the industry. I am looking for new from a dealer online or brick/morter with warranty support.

Build Quality and Reliability"
What I'm seeing in the market appears to be very very cheap. Plastic and flip covers that are waiting to brake, with proprietary bells and whistles and limited aux inputs. Typically 1 year or maybe 2 year warranties, and little support for after sale service. It's depressing.. So I've been learning up on "flagship" models.. If one can call them that.

If you're familiar with home audio.. The name Bryston comes to mind.. Built like a tank, super high end preamps, amps, etc... High end components and chassis and excellent power and sound quality, and a 20 year transferrable warranty that says "we make THE best built". Others you might recognize B&K, Krell, Anthem, Levinson, etc.. The best, without being flashy with extra stuff but does what it does extremely well. That's what I'm after in a head unit.. That kind of quality. No gimmicks to sell to the sheeple.. Solid hifi for someone that can afford it.

There's a huge hole in what the manufacturers are offering to fill.

Input capability:
I'm not opposed to having a USB stick input or other type of mp3/aac/wma file input that's relatively simple. Infact, I'd even forego the cd player altogether to rip down to a file format that could just plug into the head unit. I even saw the omnifi products just to find out they still require some head unit, and they're defunct for a couple years now. So input capability would be nice, except where it would come at a tradeoff to build and sound quality.

DACs and Preamp:
Like build quality, I'm looking for excellent processing, even if all it does is play a CD or MP3 or other. Don't care about DSP and gimmicks.. Just awesome two channel stereo.. Burr Brown and Wolfson are some names I'm recognizing being advertised by some units. ok. Good EQ or possibly time correction might be nice. Good preouts are essential.. Infact an onboard power amp is actually not desired or necessary.. Going to all external amps.

Longevity:
I'm after a head unit that WILL NOT BREAK.. Will not fry, will not shut down, will not jam, etc.

Any suggestions? Please remember.. features are nice but build and sound quality are first and second priority. Price, no object. Availability and dealer/manufacturer support crucial. "Good luck" huh? hehe:rolleyes:

I don't know if it was mentioned all ready but, how about the Clarion DRZ9255. Great sounding deck that can be had for around $1000, with the build quality/flexibility/support/dependability you crave. Otherwise it's tough to argue against Eclipse. You might be a little turned off with the look of the new units but they still seem as solid as the 03 and up units.

Jaredl
03-22-2006, 08:06 PM
Yeah the DRZ9255 is another great deck with a decent amount of processing. You could get the Denon DCT-100 for under a grand at Audiocubes. If you're keeping it under $1000, I'd probably go with the Clarion because it has the processing, which is very useful in the car environment. I don't think anyone reasonable will argue that a digital signal processing is great in a car, as you will be hard pressed to get the desired frequency response otherwise.The Clarion unit is also very pretty, and has a fixed faceplate (which, for what you want, is definitely a good thing).

dgoodhue
03-23-2006, 07:58 AM
but I'll say my old Excelon Kenwood from like 1993 or 94 blew it away in SQ.. with just flat no EQ. The excelon's faceplate died (imagine that).. So I wanted a unit without the flipface.

FYI Most likely the Kenwood was a PS (which was Kenwood high end series) or it was newer than that. The Excellon name started in 98 and was an overlap year with the PS. The Next year they drop the PS designation. I have a PS709 Eccellon and PS909 Excellon, both work great, but they are both in fair weather vehicle with low miles, I am not sure how the CD would hold up long term. The 709 I bought used and the 909 I bought new, but I also have a CD changer so its not used as often. I have no idea about the current quality, a lot has change quality wise in car audio since then...

desertheat
03-23-2006, 10:55 AM
2 years now, still rocking my alpine 9835 which has almost every feature I wanted, and the other features it did not have, the pxa-h701 had them. Rock solid unit. Just to keep her in once peice though and to insure long life, I run a 6 disk changer and use the crap out of it instead of the motorized face.

adam71
03-23-2006, 01:52 PM
Only other radios I've owned that never crapped out were Pioneers, but I hear those have been riddled with trouble as well. Is everything being made in china instead of japan these days or what?

All brands have their troubles. You can't single any one brand as a brand "riddled with troubles" you're rolling the dice eveytime you purchase ANY electronic device whether for car audio or anything else. Pioneer had some problems with some 04 or 05 decks but they have been ratified. Since then on newer decks I haven't heard of any NEW problems yet. Knock on wood.:)

Babs
03-27-2006, 01:20 PM
Yeah the DRZ9255 is another great deck with a decent amount of processing. You could get the Denon DCT-100 for under a grand at Audiocubes. If you're keeping it under $1000, I'd probably go with the Clarion because it has the processing, which is very useful in the car environment. I don't think anyone reasonable will argue that a digital signal processing is great in a car, as you will be hard pressed to get the desired frequency response otherwise.The Clarion unit is also very pretty, and has a fixed faceplate (which, for what you want, is definitely a good thing).

Yes, I saw that unit.. Very very nice. About the only larger online retailer I saw was cardomain. Looks like these types of head units are very similar.. Like the older Denon built Rockfords and the Nakamichi CD-700II and the MacIntosh unit.. They all seem very similar in design.. Just beefy cd only players with great dacs, preamp only, some with separate dc/dc power supplies as well. That Clarion appears to be an excellent piece... I agree, it's very sharp looking as well.

Currently, I'm looking at winning (ebay) a Rockford unit.. One of the Denon built preamp units. It's probably a refurb and definitely pretty ugly looking, but the deal is good enough to risk it to see how much better even the older one would be. If it dies, I'll probably just bite the bullet and go for that Clarion or possibly the Nakamichi. I think the model is an RFX8240.

I'm torn though because it appears that some of the "mid-fi" brands I'm seeing are coming out with some nifty gadgets like USB or SD card reading capability and some have potential for a bluetooth adaptor for the phone. To me are nice features, though to me a great transport, dacs and preamp are the biggest things.. Got a chance to hear recently what good time alignment can do as well.

bri487
03-27-2006, 01:23 PM
wait for the zapco deck to come out, it is based off of an old denon.

takeabao
03-27-2006, 01:38 PM
Clarion DRZ9255 gets my vote if you're looking for features, style, and reliability. Can be had for about $800 if you know where to look.

Pioneer P9 combo isn't bad, but crossover isn't that versatile and in my opinion, I prefer the styling of the DRZ.

Rockford Fosgate RFX-8250ti is another great unit too. Made by Denon in Japan. I'll probably be using one in the near future.

adam71
03-27-2006, 03:19 PM
Pioneer P9 combo isn't bad, but crossover isn't that versatile

:eyebrow: Exactly how is the crossover on the P9 NOT versatile?? Crossover points are every 1/3 octave and selectable slopes are 6, 12, 18, 24, 30, and 36 db/oct. And level adjustment in 1/2 db steps. Is there an end all beat all crossover out there that is more versatile than this.? If so, please share this information.

Babs
03-27-2006, 03:40 PM
Clarion DRZ9255 gets my vote if you're looking for features, style, and reliability. Can be had for about $800 if you know where to look.

Pioneer P9 combo isn't bad, but crossover isn't that versatile and in my opinion, I prefer the styling of the DRZ.

Rockford Fosgate RFX-8250ti is another great unit too. Made by Denon in Japan. I'll probably be using one in the near future.

How about the RFX-8240 ? I can win one if I want to right now.

Also, how about the Nakamichi CD-500 ?? Looks like a fairly decent unit for a budget compromize from the CD-700ii Looks very "OEM" as well.

FoxPro5
03-27-2006, 04:14 PM
wait for the zapco deck to come out, it is based off of an old denon.

I've been watching for that also....they always say their updated site is almost done....probably just to tease us :up2somet: Hell I'd buy a Zapco refridgerator if they made one :D

I've been following your thread here Babs to see what you get. Not sure of anyone has mentioned the Denon decks Scott Buwalda bought the last of???

squeak9798
03-27-2006, 04:17 PM
How about the RFX-8240 ? I can win one if I want to right now.

Excellent deck. Loved mine...wish I hadn't sold it. But I made a pretty good profit off of it....so I can't complain.

There have been reviews that claim they couldn't hear an audible difference between the 8250 and the 8240.

I honestly have no complaints about the 8240 from my experiences with it.

loserpunk
03-27-2006, 04:20 PM
Excellent deck. Loved mine...wish I hadn't sold it. But I made a pretty good profit off of it....so I can't complain.

There have been reviews that claim they couldn't hear an audible difference between the 8250 and the 8240.

I honestly have no complaints about the 8240 from my experiences with it.

this is the first time i've noticed your sig....wow......halarious

i agree w/ adam....kinda hard to find where the pio isn't a versitale option?

blue
03-27-2006, 04:27 PM
I don't know if it was mentioned all ready but, how about the Clarion DRZ9255. Great sounding deck that can be had for around $1000, with the build quality/flexibility/support/dependability you crave. Otherwise it's tough to argue against Eclipse. You might be a little turned off with the look of the new units but they still seem as solid as the 03 and up units.
Times two , times two .... The DRZ-9255 is one HEAVY piece of equipment , and absolutely smokes the McIntosh mx-4000 I used to own. It's EASILY the HU that fits your criteria the best ..... i LOVE mine :up2somet:

Babs
03-27-2006, 04:31 PM
I've been watching for that also....they always say their updated site is almost done....probably just to tease us :up2somet: Hell I'd buy a Zapco refridgerator if they made one :D

I've been following your thread here Babs to see what you get. Not sure of anyone has mentioned the Denon decks Scott Buwalda bought the last of???

Yeah I saw those.. From my learning it appears those decks are gathering a cult status.. From the previous post it also sounds like they're just beyond the threshold of diminishing returns I think.. Also, when given some of the things on the DRZ9255 for $1200, it's a hard choice. From a newbie, and believe me I am :), If I had to list (some) of the top current available in the street SQ units with few features, it looks like I've got these (in no order):

DRZ9255
CD-700 II.. ?? possibly the 500 or 400
The high end Denon DCT's and Denon built Rockfords
The McIntosh unit (which I read a "rumor" the Clarion, Denons and Mac share either some technology, parts or manufacturing ties)

Decisions decisions.. blow the wod or save some for lumber for the home theater. hehe

squeak9798
03-27-2006, 04:36 PM
Yeah I saw those.. From my learning it appears those decks are gathering a cult status.. From the previous post it also sounds like they're just beyond the threshold of diminishing returns I think.. Also, when given some of the things on the DRZ9255 for $1200, it's a hard choice. From a newbie, and believe me I am :), If I had to list (some) of the top current available in the street SQ units with few features, it looks like I've got these (in no order):

DRZ9255
CD-700 II.. ?? possibly the 500 or 400
The high end Denon DCT's and Denon built Rockfords
The McIntosh unit (which I read a "rumor" the Clarion, Denons and Mac share either some technology, parts or manufacturing ties)

Decisions decisions.. blow the wod or save some for lumber for the home theater. hehe

Do you plan on using an external processor, or all internal?

Babs
03-27-2006, 04:48 PM
Do you plan on using an external processor, or all internal?

I'm pretty low tech.. (said with modesty).. Just internal.
Running a coustic 60x4 into kappa 6 1/2" components upfront and kappa coax's rear with an old JL 10w6 run by a little 400w class D US acoustics amp and a 1/2 farad cap.. 1996 Isuzu Trooper with tons of miles but still chugging.

very modest setup I learned to wire up myself.

takeabao
03-27-2006, 06:39 PM
:eyebrow: Exactly how is the crossover on the P9 NOT versatile?? Crossover points are every 1/3 octave and selectable slopes are 6, 12, 18, 24, 30, and 36 db/oct. And level adjustment in 1/2 db steps. Is there an end all beat all crossover out there that is more versatile than this.? If so, please share this information.

if you have a 3 way and want to run the midbass from 50-200 and the mid from 200-4k, you can't. The mid has to be highpassed at 250 or greater. Or the slope as to be set to 0dB and use another crossover on it

http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showthread.php?threadid=126407&pagenumber=1

Didn't mean to hurt your feelings or anything so if I did, I apologize.

Honestly, for Babs intents and purposes, something like the P9 or DRZ may be too much (see above post). Something like the RFX 8240/8250 would be great though.

All this talk makes me want to buy an 8250Ti...:p:

Prowler573
03-27-2006, 06:54 PM
If you look into the older Kenwood mobile product brochures you'll find that all units with the 'PS' designation are eXcelon units just before they changed over to calling all of the products available in their upmarket brand eXcelon. The 'PS' stood for Performance Standard.

The D-Mask+ faceplate mechanism was a disaster and I thought that when it disappeared that Kenwood had come to its senses and figured out what a poor design it was. Strangely they revived it with the KDC-X689 but only on that single deck for last year's lineup. Had I been in the market for a deck at that pricepoint I would have steered clear of it for no reason other than that.

Outside of that single exception the eXcelons keep getting better and better. They do not make an actual dead-head like the PS909 and the others that I cannot recall the model numbers of currently but most of them give you the option of defeating internal power if it isn't being used.

5v preouts on the upper-end models, Burr-Brown DACs on last year's and older models and this year they have begun to swap over to the Wolfsons.

The KDC-X679 I recently upgraded away from was the first eXcelon model to incorporate Kenwood's "Auto Slide" faceplate design and it worked flawlessly for two years for me and is still kinkin' without complaint or malfunction for the person I sold it to. So, personal experience shows me that the Auto Slide is at least a decent design.

Having said all of that I'll happily admit that I am a die-hard Kenwood fanboi but thus far I haven't had good reason to regret that loyalty.

Just my $0.02 :D

squeak9798
03-27-2006, 07:00 PM
I'm pretty low tech.. (said with modesty).. Just internal.
Running a coustic 60x4 into kappa 6 1/2" components upfront and kappa coax's rear with an old JL 10w6 run by a little 400w class D US acoustics amp and a 1/2 farad cap.. 1996 Isuzu Trooper with tons of miles but still chugging.

very modest setup I learned to wire up myself.

Then in all honesty, 90% of the equipment mentioned so far is way more than you need to or should spend. There's no need to spend $500+ for a deck with that setup. Not trying to be offensive...setup properly I'm sure your car will sound great. But there's no need in overspending on the deck when the rest of the setup consists of modest equipment.

For a good deck with more than adequate internal processing for your needs, I'd look into something like either a mid-level newer Eclipse HU, a used but in great condition Eclipse 8443 or 8053, Alpine 9815/9835/9855, Pioneer P860MP or P960MP, etc.

The Denford's (Denon built Rockford Fosgates) are great decks...but they lack internal processing and are really best used with the addition of external processing.

Babs
03-27-2006, 09:45 PM
Then in all honesty, 90% of the equipment mentioned so far is way more than you need to or should spend. There's no need to spend $500+ for a deck with that setup. Not trying to be offensive...setup properly I'm sure your car will sound great. But there's no need in overspending on the deck when the rest of the setup consists of modest equipment.

For a good deck with more than adequate internal processing for your needs, I'd look into something like either a mid-level newer Eclipse HU, a used but in great condition Eclipse 8443 or 8053, Alpine 9815/9835/9855, Pioneer P860MP or P960MP, etc.

The Denford's (Denon built Rockford Fosgates) are great decks...but they lack internal processing and are really best used with the addition of external processing.

Oh no offense at all.. Fire away with all this good stuff.. I'm glad I stumbled on this forum. I'm a regular on avsforum so was looking for it's equivalent in car audio.. I'm thankful for all this awesome feedback, so as a car audio newb, I'm completely open to your experience. For some reason I'm not warming up to the eclipses.. Something about the front panel.. on the 3000, 4000, 5000 What DAC's are they using though.. That could sway me.. Also, I do like the time correction capability.. I know the value of proper phasing.

To answer Prowler573's statements.. I sure wish I could look up the model of the older excelon I had.. I'm sure it said excelon but can't find any of the older model numbers but it did fold up when turned off showing only a flat face with the hidden button to open it up. I had a friend in the business that hooked me up with one, then another just like it.. These were preamp only units. Both died for the same reason.. frozen up front face controls.. Sounded great (better than my current alpine 9805) but I realized as well, the ribbon cable or something like that was a bad design in those units.

I do have a little wishlist at crutchfield started for giggles here are the mid-fi units I've picked out.. I call anything shy of a preamp only highend unit like what we've discussed mid-fi.. I'd say from the $300 to $600 range.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-bMoD5eMzqfd/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?I=113KDCX890
the KDCX890..
I like the processing, the USB capability, some decent EQ, 3 5volt outs, the wolfson dacs, the sig/noise ratio, the bluetooth option with the adapter, 2year wtty.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-bMoD5eMzqfd/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&id=detailed_info&i=020DXZ865#Tab
the clarion DXZ865MP
I like it has at least a 24bit DAC, but don't know which, EQ, amp cancellation, 2 year warranty.

Also, I've taken a liking to these:
http://www.cardomain.com/item/JVCKDSH1000
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=16814
Looks like a very new model JVC.. Nice processing, USB, 5V outs, time alignment

http://www.sounddomain.com/item/JVCKDAR870
Interesting.. burr brown dacs, usb, 2 year warranty.. and pretty darn cheap in comparison.

And backing off on the features, I'm really starting to like the 400 and 500 Nakamichi's. Probably higher quality components in the same pricepoints, minus many of the extras.. Don't know who the dac's are but assuming the processing is good, though time alignment and some eq would be nice.

Babs
03-27-2006, 10:24 PM
All this talk makes me want to buy an 8250Ti...:p:

They're out there.. I've been watching them. :naughty:
I let the 8240 go though.. some guy wanted it more than I did.
Shame shame, my problem coulda been solved, at least until I managed to wear that one out also.

Here's a JVC question.. What's with the 50 gazillion models? What's with the Exad units.. Their version of "Excelon" or "Premier"? What's it all mean? just more confusion to me I think.

takeabao
03-27-2006, 10:32 PM
They're out there.. I've been watching them. :naughty:
I let the 8240 go though.. some guy wanted it more than I did.
Shame shame, my problem coulda been solved, at least until I managed to wear that one out also.

At one point, I could've bought an 8250Ti for $300 new. **** I'm shooting myself now. :crap:

Babs
03-27-2006, 10:54 PM
Ya know.. I'm seeing them everywhere on ebay, but if you're like me, I'm skiddish about buying this kind of stuff used. refurbed possibly, but I need a warm fuzzy feeling about it. The nak units strike me as every bit as good.. am I correct?

takeabao
03-27-2006, 11:12 PM
Ya know.. I'm seeing them everywhere on ebay, but if you're like me, I'm skiddish about buying this kind of stuff used. refurbed possibly, but I need a warm fuzzy feeling about it. The nak units strike me as every bit as good.. am I correct?

I only buy new. Must be an Asian thing.

If it's used, i'll most likely end up selling it. Go figure.

Babs
03-27-2006, 11:24 PM
Yeah for buying these things, it's almost as important "who" you buy it from as much as "what".. For after-sale support, I'm thinking crutchfield 1st, then cardomain, then possibly some others.. I've only bought from those two before sofar. If anything, maybe the warranty is just a little bit of peace of mind, even if it's really not worth the paper it's written on.. I like that a company puts a longer warranty on a product, which says more of the longevity in the design, maybe?

adam71
03-28-2006, 07:55 AM
[FONT=arial, helvetica][SIZE=2]

http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showthread.php?threadid=126407&pagenumber=1

Didn't mean to hurt your feelings or anything so if I did, I apologize.

No hurt feelings here man. I am going to run a 4-way setup with MY P9 combo and won't have that problem.

Babs
03-28-2006, 12:04 PM
So guys, I just made an order.. (drumroll) :up2somet:
Ok some may say "yeah.. not bad" and some may say "oh eeek, shoo"...
We shall see..

XXV-01D 25th Anniversary Excelon unit...

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ulJFV7Ieoi3/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&id=detailed_info&i=113XXV01D#Tab

Good timing as it looks like the 06 units floating in put this one on sale.
I liked the dacs, the processing, the sig/noise ratio, the preouts, the 2 yr warranty, the crossover, the time alignment, the availability, and actually the display is tolerable, to me anyway.

With my little midfi system, I'm thinking it's no 9255 or 700II but it will save some bucks on better priorities like dricore, berklines, lumber, drywall and a projector. :naughty:

Oh, and I'm planning on putting the new garage to use by stripping down and soundproofing.. doors and cabin.. looking at materials for proofing and door sealing. That will make probably a bigger improvement by knocking out the roadnoise. And while I'm there I can put that 16x4 tributaries speaker wire, I've been hanging on to, to good use.

So after all this pain and suffering talking about the beefiest of the beefiest, I backed off to an old Ke'antwoot.. But we've made some great discussion here, and I for one have a new respect and knowledge from some guys out there in the hobby that aren't just all about bells whistles and bling bling.

Whata ya think? I'll promise to post an objective review after good setup.

blue
03-28-2006, 01:03 PM
We shall see..

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ulJFV7Ieoi3/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&id=detailed_info&i=113XXV01D#Tab

I liked the dacs, the processing, the sig/noise ratio, the preouts, the 2 yr warranty, the crossover, the time alignment, the availability, and actually the display is tolerable, to me anyway.

With my little midfi system, I'm thinking it's no 9255 or 700II but it will save some bucks on better priorities like dricore, berklines, lumber, drywall and a projector. :naughty:

Oh, and I'm planning on putting the new garage to use by stripping down and soundproofing.. doors and cabin.. looking at materials for proofing and door sealing. That will make probably a bigger improvement by knocking out the roadnoise. And while I'm there I can put that 16x4 tributaries speaker wire, I've been hanging on to, to good use.

So after all this pain and suffering talking about the beefiest of the beefiest, I backed off to an old Ke'antwoot.. But we've made some great discussion here, and I for one have a new respect and knowledge from some guys out there in the hobby that aren't just all about bells whistles and bling bling.

My opinion ?? After looking at your criteria and current system , I think you may have made THE perfect choice. That's a fine unit , but it does take some patience trying to fine tune it's DSP choices .......

squeak9798
03-28-2006, 02:57 PM
We shall see..

Sounds like you made an excellent choice and picked the deck that best fits with the rest of your system.

Oh, and I'm planning on putting the new garage to use by stripping down and soundproofing.. doors and cabin.. looking at materials for proofing and door sealing.

www.raamaudio.com

Excellent product at an excellent price. Both the Raammat sound deadener and the Ensolite closed cell foam. Rick, the owner, is a great guy and extremely knowledgeable both about sound deadening and audio in general.

FoxPro5
03-28-2006, 03:39 PM
Nice choice....looks like a great deck.

I don't know how far along you are in the ordering process, but if you use the code PA440 when you check out, you will get $50 off that deck. Also if you are a first time customer, you can use my refer-a-friend code for another $20 off. All said, that deck will run you $329.99 shipped!!

takeabao
03-28-2006, 06:55 PM
Great choice man.

Babs
03-28-2006, 11:35 PM
Nice choice....looks like a great deck.

I don't know how far along you are in the ordering process, but if you use the code PA440 when you check out, you will get $50 off that deck. Also if you are a first time customer, you can use my refer-a-friend code for another $20 off. All said, that deck will run you $329.99 shipped!!

aaaaggghhh!!!! tooooo late! aaaaggghhh!!! Ok I'm in tears now. Well, spilt milk I guess.. I'll know better next time. Definitely not a first timer there but that $50 would have been very nice savings.

Indeed, I emailed Rick for info and he was very quick with lots of good info. I'll very probably go with his products.

Same friend that clue'd me in on some of these high end units is working me over to build kick panels but it looks like a ton of work and I'm not sure I've got the space.. The trooper has a fairly narrow short floorboard upfront.. But I can definitely see the benefit of pulling the component kappas over, then filling in with possibly a midbass driver in the doors, after they're done with the soundproofing material... oh, that's another project for another day.

billybrown66
03-29-2006, 12:16 AM
yeah, in all honesty i'd take foot space and the nice flush look of putting speakers in the door or dash...

nice choice on the head unit, i'm about to buy one myself. ;)

FoxPro5
03-29-2006, 07:16 AM
aaaaggghhh!!!! tooooo late! aaaaggghhh!!! Ok I'm in tears now. Well, spilt milk I guess.. I'll know better next time. Definitely not a first timer there but that $50 would have been very nice savings.

Indeed, I emailed Rick for info and he was very quick with lots of good info. I'll very probably go with his products.

Same friend that clue'd me in on some of these high end units is working me over to build kick panels but it looks like a ton of work and I'm not sure I've got the space.. The trooper has a fairly narrow short floorboard upfront.. But I can definitely see the benefit of pulling the component kappas over, then filling in with possibly a midbass driver in the doors, after they're done with the soundproofing material... oh, that's another project for another day.

Well if the already shipped it I guess it's too late. But Crutch customer service is really awesome and I bet if you called them they would adjust your final price....especially with my code. PM if you need it :naughty:

Babs
03-29-2006, 08:47 AM
Well if the already shipped it I guess it's too late. But Crutch customer service is really awesome and I bet if you called them they would adjust your final price....especially with my code. PM if you need it :naughty:

That's ok FoxPro, I'll let this one slide, but I will definitely get up with you for the next order.. I'm sure I'll be picking up quite a few goodies in the near future.

Wish they had a kickpanel made up for a trooper. Everything but, it seems. The generic is so cheap noone recommends it also.. Better to build, I guess but oh what a pain.

FoxPro5
03-29-2006, 09:21 AM
That's ok FoxPro, I'll let this one slide, but I will definitely get up with you for the next order.. I'm sure I'll be picking up quite a few goodies in the near future.

Wish they had a kickpanel made up for a trooper. Everything but, it seems. The generic is so cheap noone recommends it also.. Better to build, I guess but oh what a pain.

I would still try and see if they can apply it eventhough it might have been shipped...they did it for me once. Also, that code is only good for first time customers on orders over $200. Once you are in their system, you will get your own code. ;) I'ts a cool program, I've always liked Crutch b/c they value their customers. Here it is anyway: px246-q3fsp-dj6c4

Babs
03-29-2006, 09:28 AM
I would still try and see if they can apply it eventhough it might have been shipped...they did it for me once. Also, that code is only good for first time customers on orders over $200. Once you are in their system, you will get your own code. ;) I'ts a cool program, I've always liked Crutch b/c they value their customers. Here it is anyway: px246-q3fsp-dj6c4

Oh, I placed the order from my login that was already in their system. I'll read up on it and possibly ask them though. Can't hurt to ask. I very much appreciate it.

Babs
03-30-2006, 01:31 PM
Delivered and waiting on me.. Man that's quick.:cool:

Prowler573
03-30-2006, 01:48 PM
Delivered and waiting on me.. Man that's quick.:cool:

Crutchfield doesn't play around. The one I ordered on December 23rd and paid an extra $9 for Christmas Eve delivery was here before 10am on the 24th.

Their prices can easily be beaten. Their customer service is second to none.

Hope you enjoy it, Babs. :D I love mine to death.

Babs
03-30-2006, 02:11 PM
Crutchfield doesn't play around. The one I ordered on December 23rd and paid an extra $9 for Christmas Eve delivery was here before 10am on the 24th.

Their prices can easily be beaten. Their customer service is second to none.

Hope you enjoy it, Babs. :D I love mine to death.

Thanks Prowler,
Yep that's why I use them. The new snazzy head unit is forcing my hand for improvements overall.. Doing the RAAMmat soundproofing soon. Rethinking my sub-amp setup. Running good speaker wire, better interconnects, and better amp grounding while I have everything ripped out. Woe is me.. work work work work work...

I've had installers even tell me running speaker wire direct to amp is a waste of time, but having heard the difference between lampcord and poor connections verses high-end cable terminated properly in home audio, I'm taking that plunge.

Might even relocate the tweeters.

Oh I just have to stop now. hehehe :crazy: