PDA

View Full Version : Box for Eclipe 8122.4

noonej21
03-22-2006, 11:45 AM
Anyone out there know ballpark specs on what this sub wants for enclosure size and type. I just picked one up to replace my D series solobaric. I have sent an email to Eclipse and I am still waiting for the response. I have searched the forums and some mentioned 1-1.5 ft^3 for sealed. Any insight would be great thanks again.

jimmyjames1700
03-22-2006, 01:37 PM
It is basically a variation of a TC Sounds TC9 driver (similiar to an Rl-P) so you can count on it working fine in small sealed and vented enclosures. Aim for about 1.0ft^3 net sealed or 1.5-1.75ft^3 net vented @ 35Hz and atleast 18in^2 port area. Bring about 500Wrms and thump away.

noonej21
03-22-2006, 01:45 PM
Eclipse finally got back to me and recommended .9-1.5 sealed and I am not quite sure what to make from their vented recommendations, this is what the reply was

2.5 cuft 1) 6"D x 15 1/8"L tunning fz. 40fz

I assume this means 2.5 ft^3 with a round port having diameter of 6 and length of approx 15. tuned to 40Hz.

Any thoughts on how it would work in a .75 ft^3 sealed box. I only ask because I was hoping I could use my current box until I get some time to build a new one. If it helps any the amp I am using is a PPI PC2150 (600x1 @4ohms)

jimmyjames1700
03-22-2006, 01:49 PM
Eclipse finally got back to me and recommended .9-1.5 sealed and I am not quite sure what to make from their vented recommendations, this is what the reply was

2.5 cuft 1) 6"D x 15 1/8"L tunning fz. 40fz

I assume this means 2.5 ft^3 with a round port having diameter of 6 and length of approx 15. tuned to 40Hz.

Any thoughts on how it would work in a .75 ft^3 sealed box. I only ask because I was hoping I could use my current box until I get some time to build a new one. If it helps any the amp I am using is a PPI PC2150 (600x1 @4ohms)

You are correct on their ported rec. Except do not follow those, unless you wanted the peakiest sounding box you've ever heard. stay below 1.75ft^3 vented for sure.

.75ft^3 sealed will be fine. It will raise the box Q slightly which will sacrifice a little low bass for some extra bump. That amp will work perfectly for this set up. Enjoy.

noonej21
03-22-2006, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the quick responses. Got a quick question for you on enclosures. When you say a smaller enclosure will have a higher"Q" what exactly does that mean? Also when you mentioned raising the "Q" will sacrafice low bass for extra output are you saying that low frequencies will not be as loud but the upper frequencies will shine? I have in the past only dealt with sealed enclosures as the round solos were not meant to be used in vented enclosures. With this sub I am trying to figure out what I want. I listen to all type of music from alternative to rock to rap and am trying to determine what is best. Maybe I will spend some time searching through all the "Sealed vs Ported" threads here to get a better understanding. Thanks again

jimmyjames1700
03-22-2006, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the quick responses. Got a quick question for you on enclosures. When you say a smaller enclosure will have a higher"Q" what exactly does that mean? Also when you mentioned raising the "Q" will sacrafice low bass for extra output are you saying that low frequencies will not be as loud but the upper frequencies will shine? I have in the past only dealt with sealed enclosures as the round solos were not meant to be used in vented enclosures. With this sub I am trying to figure out what I want. I listen to all type of music from alternative to rock to rap and am trying to determine what is best. Maybe I will spend some time searching through all the "Sealed vs Ported" threads here to get a better understanding. Thanks again

Higher Q simply means the response will have a slight peak in response in the upper bass region. If you used to run the round solo in its recommended box, you were listening to a sub/box relationship that had a system Q of about .85, which is a fairly typical number for car audio sealed systems. A Q of .707 is considered to be an ideal Q, however a lot of people will tell you that .707 and under sounds to dry and lacks efficiency. That's why many car audio sealed system are in the neighborhood of .8~.9 Q, for efficiency and to increase mechanical power handling. In your case with the Solo, you would have had to double you enclosure size to get to .707 only gain about 2~3dB in output @ 20Hz and drastically lower your power handling due to over excursion.

You will be fine with that Eclipse in the .75, infact you may wind up with a box Q close to what you were used to with the Solo. That will sound great for any type of music, plus it will be slightly more efficient and handle all the power your PPI amp has to offer.

Sorry for the long winded response, I hope this helps ya.