PDA

View Full Version : New Head Unit to Control iPod?

Apoc
03-22-2006, 12:50 AM
Alright, I already ordered a Pioneer P680MP Head unit but I have to buy another $100 control box to run the ipod from the HU and I hear nothing but bad reviews about the interface. I am planning on cancelling that order ASAP. Now, my problem is I need to find a HU that will run the ipod from the HU and Alpine seems to have the best interface. I would like to get a CD player with blue LEDs since I have converted the rest of the lights in my 01 impala to blue LEDs. I would like to get the HU for around $300 and I plan on snagging one off ebay. Let me know what you guys think!

Oh, and with Alpine do I need to purchase another expensive cable like pioneer or does it come with it?

iceteebone
03-22-2006, 12:52 AM
alpine's interface cost $100 and no you don't need extra cables

azbass
03-22-2006, 12:54 AM
my vote is the clarion VRX765VD. because you can controle the ipod right on the screen of the unit.

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/products/2006/multimedia/multimedia_source_units/VRX765VD/us-en-product-pf_1134643389344.html

iceteebone
03-22-2006, 12:57 AM
you can control the ipod on the screen of the alpine as well

azbass
03-22-2006, 12:58 AM
do they show an ipod on the screen?

spudracer326
03-22-2006, 01:01 AM
no but you control and have all the options as if you were using your ipod...and the new alpine stuff has the high speed ipod cable..t is instant and much better then the older

azbass
03-22-2006, 01:05 AM
i still like the clarion one.

Apoc
03-22-2006, 01:07 AM
alright, I already kind of knew that but what HU from Alpine should I be going with?

Chevyaudio
03-22-2006, 01:08 AM
I suggest either the CDA 9835 or CDA 9855

iceteebone
03-22-2006, 01:09 AM
alright, I already kind of knew that but what HU from Alpine should I be going with?

Apoc
03-22-2006, 01:09 AM
i still like the clarion one.

I dont really want to spend $800 on the clarion...unless it has comparable sound quality to the Alpine decks...then, I would seriously think about it

azbass
03-22-2006, 02:49 AM
iv installed them, and i would not have recomended it , if i did not like the quality of the unit.

Apoc
03-22-2006, 10:24 AM
I would like to look at a comparison chart between the two or at least get a few other peoples opinions.

And as for Alpine, I hear the glide touch feature ***** which is all the new models. If someone could tell me what glide touch is and does, that would be great. Oh, and if I went with a 9835, would I be able to use a high speed ipod cable? How much does the high speed ipod cable help?

What is the best HU for use with an ipod with no regards for price?

Apoc
03-22-2006, 11:45 PM
Any other opinions before I snag a 9835 off ebay?

NYRngrs24
03-23-2006, 10:54 AM
I personally havent used it, but i hear most of the new pioneer 2006 decks work great w/ the ipod interface. and alpine has that new full speed thing, and clarion is there thing.

lil azn 06
03-23-2006, 11:05 AM
Do know that you have to buy a seperate thing for the ipod control if you plan on buying a 9835 or 9855. It uses Ai.net to connect

Apoc
03-23-2006, 12:16 PM
Yes, I know that but the new ones you don't have to buy a seperate cable?

adam71
03-23-2006, 03:09 PM
Why not just burn some good mp3 cds and to hell with that ******* ipod.?? J/K. On a serious note though, why deal with slow interfaces when a mp3 cd sounds better anyway.?? Or is SQ not a concern anyway.?? I realize if you're playing with mp3s then SQ isn't your top priority but why not have the best sounding mp3s you can have?

Oh well, its up to you........your money right. Sorry to threadjack.

headless
03-23-2006, 03:50 PM
Why not just burn some good mp3 cds and to hell with that ******* ipod.?? J/K. On a serious note though, why deal with slow interfaces when a mp3 cd sounds better anyway.?? Or is SQ not a concern anyway.?? I realize if you're playing with mp3s then SQ isn't your top priority but why not have the best sounding mp3s you can have?

Oh well, its up to you........your money right. Sorry to threadjack.

Lets see..
#1. 60gb/700mb/cd = 61440/700=87.7 CD's of mp3's.
And #2, playlists
Any questions?
;)

adam71
03-23-2006, 04:08 PM
Lets see..
#1. 60gb/700mb/cd = 61440/700=87.7 CD's of mp3's.
And #2, playlists
Any questions?
;)

Nope, no questions. I knew what I was talking about. I was talking about mp3 cds being of higher quality sound.........NOT being of higher capacity.

You could always burn cds in the order you want for a playlist. I do it all the time. I also rip my cds in VBR ubernet standard so they sound really good compared to CBR files. Again I was only implying he could save all the hassle of interface problems and just get a good deck that plays mp3 cds.:)

headless
03-23-2006, 04:21 PM
Nope, no questions. I knew what I was talking about. I was talking about mp3 cds being of higher quality sound.........NOT being of higher capacity.

You could always burn cds in the order you want for a playlist. I do it all the time. I also rip my cds in VBR ubernet standard so they sound really good compared to CBR files. Again I was only implying he could save all the hassle of interface problems and just get a good deck that plays mp3 cds.:)

Right, but you asked why not just burn some cd's -- my reasons are 2 reasons why not to burn all the mp3's on an ipod to cd's instead of just using the ipod for what its designed for. You could burn cd's with groups of your mp3's that are usually played together in playlists, but What about having a playlist that crosses multiple cd's? Burn that track twice? What if a track is in 7 of my playlists? What if HALF of my tracks are in 7 playlists? That'd make my 80 odd cd's turn into 120. Not to mention any time i add an mp3 or change my playlist...guess what?! NEW CD's!
lol...

Re: VBR vs. CBR...VBR is nice but some players have issues playing them...a 320k CBR mp3 is of course going to sound as good or better than a VBR-anything file anyway, so i tend to rip to 320k and forget about it.
But as you mentioned...mp3 is mainly about convenience, not about quality.

NYRngrs24
03-23-2006, 04:55 PM
the quality is the same, if you put a 256kb song on a mp3cd or ipod, it will sound the same, its the quality of the mp3, because its coming out of the ipod makes no difference, EXCEPT if you are not using the dock connector, if using the headphone output, than yes that affects audio quality.

Apoc
03-23-2006, 09:11 PM
the quality is the same, if you put a 256kb song on a mp3cd or ipod, it will sound the same, its the quality of the mp3, because its coming out of the ipod makes no difference, EXCEPT if you are not using the dock connector, if using the headphone output, than yes that affects audio quality.

So you're saying its better to use the dock connector correct?

adam71
03-24-2006, 04:30 AM
the quality is the same, if you put a 256kb song on a mp3cd or ipod, it will sound the same, its the quality of the mp3, because its coming out of the ipod makes no difference,

I wouldn't necessarily say that. I know I would trust the laser in my deck wayyy before I would trust an ipod to deliver the best sound mp3 is capable of. I guess what I'm saying is that an mp3 file played on a cd is kept digital all the way to the pre outs which will provide better sound.

This is all redundant anyway since CD audio OWNS mp3 anyway.:)

Apoc
03-24-2006, 10:05 AM
yeah well I know all of that is true, I am talking about on the ipod if its better to go with a dock connector or just RCA from the headphone jack. I am planning to go dock. And, I want to use my ipod because I can continously update my songs without more CDs and I can just put it on shuffle and pick a random song out of my 8,000 on it. But, I still burn MP3 cds once and a while too.

headless
03-24-2006, 10:32 AM
I wouldn't necessarily say that. I know I would trust the laser in my deck wayyy before I would trust an ipod to deliver the best sound mp3 is capable of. I guess what I'm saying is that an mp3 file played on a cd is kept digital all the way to the pre outs which will provide better sound.

The ipod dock connector is a digital method of sending the data out. Thus the ability to control the ipod through the connector. A laser reading an mp3 file from a CD isn't any better than a hardrive reading it. In fact, the hard-drive is going to be a whole lot more reliable than a laser (no scratches!). MP3 CD's are not better than MP3's stored on a hardrive. The only place you are going to really lose quality is in the output stage.

headless
03-24-2006, 10:32 AM
yeah well I know all of that is true, I am talking about on the ipod if its better to go with a dock connector or just RCA from the headphone jack. I am planning to go dock. And, I want to use my ipod because I can continously update my songs without more CDs and I can just put it on shuffle and pick a random song out of my 8,000 on it. But, I still burn MP3 cds once and a while too.

Yep, the dock is the best method. Do it man!

zachzchw
03-24-2006, 10:46 AM
I have heard negative things about the extra connectors. Some people say to just control the ipod through the deck, others say get the adapter.

Apoc
03-24-2006, 10:19 PM
I got the alpine 9855 and I have to wait until tomorrow to get the ipod connector

mikegett
03-24-2006, 11:25 PM

A cd is the most basic form of analog signal. Don't let yourself get hooked into the analog versus digital debate. In reality, there is no manor to get a fully digital signal without hitting a analog conversion somewhere. With that said, I do believe the ipod sounds suprisingly good for such a small player. But like your point, the HU's processor is far superior and will give a better reproduction. The thing we have to remember is that sound is subjective. what should sound better, may be concidered worse deepending upon the individual.

NYRngrs24
03-25-2006, 01:54 AM
headless is right apoc, use the dock, and he is also right about it being a DIGITAL output, so audio is equal to the burning of the cd

adam71
03-25-2006, 03:59 PM
A cd is the most basic form of analog signal. Don't let yourself get hooked into the analog versus digital debate.

Actually, CD is a digital format....NOT analog. Or maybe you meant something else by that, not sure. I'm not trying to debate digital versus analog. I KNOW for a fact that the longer you keep a signal digital after it is read from the disc the better the quality. Simply because when a signal is digital it is NOT subject to noise in the automotive environment.

In reality, there is no manor to get a fully digital signal without hitting a analog conversion somewhere.

Of course you have to have analog conversion. Human ears cannot hear digital data.:p: lol. What I'm saying is having d/a and a/d back and forth throughout the signal chain will degrade the original signal read from the disc. Like running a digital processor with a deck that only has analog outuputs. The deck converts the signal from D/A, the processor converts it from A/D for processing and then again converts it D/A before the signal is sent to the amplifiers.

But on the other hand, if you have a deck that has digital outputs (p9) and a processor that has digital inputs (p9) the signal starts off digital being read off the disc and STAYS digital throughout the processing and then gets converted to analog ONE TIME ONLY before it is sent to the amps. This would be your ideal situation.

cyantist
03-30-2006, 08:57 AM
I was actually just commenting to a buddy the other day about how my iPod interface sounds BETTER than my mp3 CDs. I was actually really surprised. But that's where my love ends for the Alpine iPod adapter...