PDA

View Full Version : WTF what kind of tune is this

IamDeMan
03-21-2006, 02:03 PM
I have an enclosure. My friend found it in the garage of this house he bought. The construction itself looks top notch. It is bare, but you can tell carpet used to be on it. It looks like someone was going to re-finish it. This is how I know the construction looks good. It was constructed with 3/4 MDF, wood glue(can see yellow stains) and finish nails, then a small bead of clear caulk seals the inside seams.

This is where the trick part comes in is the port. The port is a rectangle port, but the 2 sections are of different width. Here is the dimesnions of box and port.

Box(external) 32w X 16H X 20D

First portion of port which exits the front 3x14.5x16.75

second portion of port that follows back wall 2.5X14.5X24

How the hell do I determine where this enclosure is tuned at? After removing the 2 sections displacement the volume nets 3.5 before any woofer displacement. It was made for 2x 10" drivers. Here is a poor drawing of what I am saying(I'm new to sketchup so go easy on my skills).

http://img461.imageshack.us/img461/729/box2iz.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

dont_smokerocks
03-21-2006, 04:42 PM
mabey they just messed up and thats why they left it? cut it up and use it to make another box?

IamDeMan
03-21-2006, 04:47 PM
mabey they just messed up and thats why they left it? cut it up and use it to make another box?
Well even if they messed up, it's still efectively tuning the enclosure, so I wan't to know if there is a way to figure out what the tune would be in this scenario. I have already loaded it with 2 10" Rockford Fosgate RFP4210s. It sounded pretty good. Seems to be a pretty low tune with a flat response. It isn't an SPL box by any means but it sounded **** good with enough output.

Volenti
03-22-2006, 09:25 AM
It won't effect tuning too much, if the port was 3'' wide all the way the tuning would be ~28hz, if 2.5'' all the way it would be ~25hz, so you could safely split the difference and call it a day.