PDA

View Full Version : Does a smaller cabin need larger enclosure for optimum reusults?

amartin_72
03-20-2006, 09:43 PM
A local installer tried explaining to me why my truck sounds louder witht the windows down and/or the doors open, and he said if you build a big enough box, it should peak with the doors shut and be as loud as I expirience with the doors open. Is this true or should I just try to stick with the reccomended box specs for the sub wether it was in a van or a truck? And anyways i thought home theatre enclosures were generally larger?

soundstreamer
03-20-2006, 09:46 PM
i was told a larger box would stop the windows down/louder thing by a jlaudio tech. a forum member proved that statement to be false. stick with recommended box specs.

PowerNaudio
03-20-2006, 10:16 PM
i was told a larger box would stop the windows down/louder thing by a jlaudio tech. a forum member proved that statement to be false. stick with recommended box specs.

i agree,

placing a sub in a too big of a box could cause it to over excurt and in terms kill it self and sound like crap while doing it.

design the box to the specs of the sub, that way youll get way better sound then whats recommended in the box specs.
there is plenty of software out there to help you chose the close to perfect enclosure size and port dimensions, and they also show you what happens when you place the sub in a too big or too small of an enclosure, same as a too large or too small of a port.

the only reason the sub sound louder when you have your windows down is because air gets some where to go and relieves cabin pressure. usually happens in small cabins. or in vehicles with large subs. windows up sound pressure raises.

LuNaTiC
03-20-2006, 11:38 PM
the only reason the sub sound louder when you have your windows down is because air gets some where to go and relieves cabin pressure. usually happens in small cabins. or in vehicles with large subs. windows up sound pressure raises.

Umm, I believe the higher the sound pressure the louder it is? How would having less pressure be noticeably louder?

phantom240
03-20-2006, 11:44 PM
x2... im just now experienceing the same thing swtiching from my acura legend to my 240sx...

Bake
03-20-2006, 11:52 PM
Doors closed and windows up means less space for the long wave length low notes to develop fully. Doors open and windows down allows the longer wave length bass notes to fully develop. Also with windows and doors closed there is more reflection and cancelation of the lower notes.

skeptikal
03-20-2006, 11:57 PM
Umm, I believe the higher the sound pressure the louder it is? How would having less pressure be noticeably louder?

lol guy before beat me to it.

LuNaTiC
03-21-2006, 12:02 AM
I had feeling that was the reason, So if i tuned higher i should expect to be loud windows up or down, Correct?

amartin_72
03-21-2006, 09:08 AM
So maybe with the windows down or doors open it just hits lower just not necessarily louder on the mic.?

theCybe
03-21-2006, 09:42 AM
You are likely to experience greater pressure inside a ported box than inside a sealed one;

Same concept.

PowerNaudio
03-21-2006, 10:18 AM

having the windows down will be just louder to the ear not to the mic.
in the cab sound preasure level with the windows up are higher then with the windows down.

LuNaTiC
03-21-2006, 11:01 PM
having the windows down will be just louder to the ear not to the mic.
in the cab sound preasure level with the windows up are higher then with the windows down.

That's weird, With my windows down my ears hurt with some songs. Now with the same song and windows up they don't at all. I guess I don't understand sound pressure as much as I thought. I figured my ears hurt because there was more pressure on them....

Volenti
03-22-2006, 08:12 AM
With the windows down your car becomes a bandpass box, the tuning and gain is dependant on the car's interior volume and the sub setup (and number of windows down)

It is very possible for the car to have more pressure in the cabin space at a certain frequency with the windows down than up.

You can even notice the group delay increase when you wind the window down if you have a system with normally low GD.