PDA

View Full Version : need tweeter location advice

goodrich
03-19-2006, 08:34 PM
the installer wants to put the tweeters in the factory locations which happens to be on the dash close to the front windshield. he claims that i should get optimal imaging by doing this. the Rainbow installation guide states that when you do this it makes the tweeter harsh. on the x-over the tweeter can be adjusted to be more laid back.

if this is done the tweeter will be far away from the midrange. the Rainbow installation guide states that this will create a void that impairs the sound. would the tweeter be better off on the door about a foot and a half or so above the midrange?

AllStar1500bd
03-19-2006, 08:47 PM
If I were you, I would not put the tweeter in any set location yet, and just put some two sided tape and test them out in different locations to see what you like the best. I've seen some very odd installed with the tweeters facing toward the windshield, under the midbass, on pillars, etc... It's all about where it sounds the best at. Test out some locations before deciding.

RandyJ
03-19-2006, 08:55 PM
If I were you, I would not put the tweeter in any set location yet, and just put some two sided tape and test them out in different locations to see what you like the best. I've seen some very odd installed with the tweeters facing toward the windshield, under the midbass, on pillars, etc... It's all about where it sounds the best at. Test out some locations before deciding.

he be right, +1 fo da piomp of tweeters.

On a more serious note, Rainbow knows thier own prefrences, as well as Laws of Sound Waves and Physics, they however, do not know your personal taste, nor what sound right to YOU. I found just the other day that placing my tweeter at my door handle, facing at an angle towards the dash sounds best and most complete. It will differ with every vehicle and with every person. Invest in some tape and do some experimenting.

RandyJ
03-19-2006, 08:56 PM
NVMD

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to AllStar1500bd again.

Sry dude, but know that I love you with all my ***** and wish you a very happy tweeter pimping day.

geolemon
03-19-2006, 09:16 PM
A lot depends on your component set, a lot depends on your car's acoustics.

I've traditionally been a fan of keeping the tweeter by the mid - kickpanels can be tricky though, doors aren't usually too bad...
...but ever since I started working with Focal comp sets, I don't think I've found one vehicle where I've ended up somewhere other than the A-pillar - don't know why in particular (suspect it purely has to do with the directionality of the tweeter, but it's no larger than the average tweet), but with their stuff it's the best way to go.

I've had less luck on the dash, firing up (generally the issue is the instrument cluster "hump").

I've always been able to dial out any "harshness" with the crossover (but it's worth mentioning I like things to sound a little "hot" personally - I want a shreik from an old-school hair metal band to crack my glass :D) attenuation settings.

But I have a really good "bottom line" for you, to make your OWN decision - works every time. ;)

"Try it before you buy it".

What that means is - don't cut any holes, make any brackets, or do anything permanent you might regret.

Get the system all wired up and running - and stick a piece of doublesided foam tape on the back of the tweeter.
And TRY it in your proposed locations. Spend some time with it there. Try alternatiives.

When you are all done, you'll feel comfortable with your chosen location, and you can permanently run your tweeter wire down to the crossover behind your car's panels where it'll finally live OUT of sight. :cool:

RandyJ
03-19-2006, 10:18 PM
Seems as though we all have the same philosophy :D

Electrical tape works well for sticking these things to flat surfaces, but it ***** for vertical modeling.

fosgate140
03-19-2006, 10:23 PM

x2:D

RandyJ
03-19-2006, 10:31 PM
x2:D

Dude you're like so yesterday. We already dibbed the x2 and x3 act:rolleyes:

6spdcoupe
03-20-2006, 02:03 AM
Dale you got my PM on where I think. Id try there first among other places as well of course, but the stock location in that car (just dropping in) will yield Horrible reflections from the glass..

goodrich
03-20-2006, 07:11 AM
Dale you got my PM on where I think. Id try there first among other places as well of course, but the stock location in that car (just dropping in) will yield Horrible reflections from the glass..

i think i'm going with your suggestion since you have the same vehicle and the same comps so you just field tested for me and gave me the results. thanks. now for the 1500XXK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RandyJ
03-20-2006, 11:21 AM
i think i'm going with your suggestion since you have the same vehicle and the same comps so you just field tested for me and gave me the results. thanks. now for the 1500XXK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uhm, his results are great, but honestly, no one can tell you what YOU like, unless they are YOU. So I hope you don't go with what sounds good to HIM and then end up being dissapointed with location after possibly cutting/chopping the interior of your vehicle.:crap: