PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse CD-5000 Dimmer/Illumination Wiring

Intercooler
03-18-2006, 07:07 PM
:crap:

Just got my car back yesterday from having everything swapped over and it sounded great! Only problem is something happened to the display keys :crying: They won't light up no matter what illumination I try..... get nothing! Unless someone has a fix that the manual doesn't cover it looks like I will be sending the CD-5000 back to Crutchfield. Will they give me a full refund on it? My audio guy doesn't like the new Eclipses... He said most have the CD unit die quick so maybe I will get something else. If the 7000 wouldn't clash with its surroundings I might opt for it. Got no luck here!

jimmyjames1700
03-18-2006, 07:14 PM
pm'd ya.

FoxPro5
03-18-2006, 11:03 PM
Sorry to hear bro :( That's not too good for Eclipse PR either.

faulkton
03-18-2006, 11:09 PM
are you sure that the audio guy hooked up the illumination wire? I know some of the buttons on my 8454 dont light up because i didnt hook up a certain (orange iirc) wire..make sure it isnt incompetency of the installer before returning it. And how does this guy know that the CD player dies quick...these JUST came out..sounds like a stupid *** to me..

Intercooler
03-19-2006, 01:32 AM
It doesn't look to be the HU. When I turn the cars dimmer down the keys light up almost fully. With the dimmer up they go dead. Think it is a ground problem somewhere?

faulkton
03-19-2006, 01:40 AM
so with the dimmer all the way down...the lights on the deckwork. With the dimmer all the way up they dont work?

Intercooler
03-19-2006, 02:00 AM
so with the dimmer all the way down...the lights on the deckwork. With the dimmer all the way up they dont work?Exactly. With the dimmer down, keys lit up, I may get the occasional flicker. Higher I go up on the dimmer, more the keys go dim. :crazy:

mikegett
03-19-2006, 01:18 PM
If it is like the 2005 and 2004 units the dimmer may not be used. The dimmer controls how much voltage goes to the HU lights. Deepending on what car you have it may see 12 volts all the way on or 0 volts all the way on. The eclipse back light comes on when it does not see 12 volts. Just the opposite of how you might think it works. I had the 8455 hooked up with the dimmer when I first got it and had a simmilar situation. I had to call eclipse and look like a fool. I would unplug the dimmer and see how it does. If it won't work, call eclipse prior to sending it back. They will walk you through the possible problems and give a rma number if it still won't work. Just remember not to trust word of mouth or message forums 100 percent. It only takes one to two people having "problems" to start a trend of distrust. In most cases these problems are caused by the installer and not the equipment.

mikegett
03-19-2006, 01:23 PM
I forot to mention. I have been installing my own HU's since the early nineties. I have had many problems after the installs, but all have been caused by me. Even with experience, it is easy to make mistakes.

Intercooler
03-19-2006, 03:53 PM
Fixed it today so the Eclipse doesn't ****. The install guy changed the dimmer wire around. He went back and matched orange/white with orange/white where it should be orange to orange/white. Works like a champ now!

JLCivic
03-19-2006, 04:55 PM
Fixed it today so the Eclipse doesn't ****. The install guy changed the dimmer wire around. He went back and matched orange/white with orange/white where it should be orange to orange/white. Works like a champ now!

Since it was not the deck, you may want to delete this thread(or change the title)....some people will just skim titles and will repeat "yeah some guy's eclipse already crapped out" for example.

Just looking to keep things as accurate as possible.

Intercooler
03-19-2006, 06:02 PM
Can't delete it.

Can one of the Mod's here help me with deleting this? Thanks!

faulkton
03-19-2006, 06:26 PM
Glad to hear you got it solved..and glad it was installer error and not eclipse. :)

squeak9798
03-19-2006, 07:06 PM
Since this thread contains good information pertaining to the wiring of the unit, I changed the title and think it should stick around for future reference. No sense in deleting a perfectly good, informational thread :)