PDA

View Full Version : Porting through the rear deck.

Silver
03-19-2006, 12:51 PM
As many of you know I have a 15" L7 in a 4.5 cuft box. Well I want to cut a hole through my rear deck to really make this thing shine.

I have a square port I haven't taken out my rear deck yet so I dunno what I'm up with, but my main question is.

Will this effect the tuning if I slid something right inside the port or even just in a sense lengthen the port?

matt_martin87
03-19-2006, 01:16 PM
If you lengthen the port, you will get a lower tuning frequency.

Silver
03-19-2006, 03:42 PM
So should I just cut a hole through thr rear deck and be done with it?

nissanrider06
03-19-2006, 04:52 PM
u could try it and see what happens, i would just take it out or pull back the carpet, if u can so its not permanent till u can see the effects

JL12W7INAGS300
03-19-2006, 07:20 PM
I was thinking of trying something like this too... except I already have an 8" hole in the deck from removing my stock sub

Silver
03-19-2006, 11:14 PM
Well my problem is after I removed my carpet from the deck there is a thin sheet of metal right over the port. Thats what more than likely is blocking some of the bass.

I just dunno where to re-locate my amps. Espically the brutus sence there are no holes for mounting.

Volenti
03-20-2006, 09:43 AM
If you have the port venting through the rear shelf while the sub/box is still in the boot you end up with a poorly tuned bandpass enclosure, if your boot is restricting the bass you would be better off using a dedicated bandpass box where you have more control over the final response.

Silver
03-21-2006, 07:58 PM
my port fires up already right at the metal.

i figured if i opened a hole it would just let more spl into my car.

fakename
03-21-2006, 08:16 PM
theres a girl @ my skewl who has this done. looks sweet.

blue93corsica
03-22-2006, 08:57 AM
in some cases the rear deck is a structurial part of the vehicle and i wouldn't recomend tearing it up for a port but make sure not to hack out too much when cutting then as there still needs to be strength and structure in that area

amartin_72
03-22-2006, 09:09 AM
I forgot to look closely at your sig but make sure you have your lid dynamatted and try taking out your back seat often times there is some pretty hefty stock sound deadening behind there, quite a pile came out of my friends car when we looked abck there, if your rear fill is stock speakers you could just take them out and see if that helps you might like just fronts anyways. But on a car with flip-down rear seats even opening the seats about 8" helps alot in most cases so any openings you can get will help alot.

Sixty8below
03-22-2006, 02:01 PM
I have a '68 chevelle with 2 Audiopipe Eye Candy 15"s ported through my rear deck lid, you can check it out here.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/817880/5

The part where it looks like flower pedals is where the box is ported. There are 2
3" ports, tuned to 35 HZ.

-Curt

j3bus2k3
03-22-2006, 02:42 PM
I have a '68 chevelle with 2 Audiopipe Eye Candy 15"s ported through my rear deck lid, you can check it out here.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/817880/5

The part where it looks like flower pedals is where the box is ported. There are 2
3" ports, tuned to 35 HZ.

-Curt

So you have 2 3" ports for 2 15" subs? Are they actual ports or just cut-outs to allow bass into the cab?

To the original poster...my thoughts would be to take out your rear-fill and use those holes as your ports. Fiberglass the top to flushmount the flared part of the PVC and attach it somehow to the box...just an idea.

JL12W7INAGS300
03-22-2006, 06:18 PM
my port fires up already right at the metal.

i figured if i opened a hole it would just let more spl into my car.
:cool:

in your sig instead of Got Space you should put MySpace. haha that would be funny :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Silver
03-22-2006, 08:38 PM
I have a myspace.

Guys..guys..

I have no speakers in the rear deck, the rears are in the side panels of the car. My rear seats also don't fold down. I went stripping today. Here's what I found.

http://img487.imageshack.us/img487/7880/mvc009f5aj.jpg
http://img487.imageshack.us/img487/1706/mvc010f6no.jpg

There are two holes in the deck that look like 6x9 holes. (Drilled and all). My port is about half way into one of the holes. So it looks like im in luck. I'll just etch out some of the hole and be done with it. Then I'll make a nice square thru the rear deck carpet and throw some crap on it to make it look "cool".

I'm going to mount my alpine amp right on the box. For the brutus. I still don't know.. There isn't mounting brackets on it so I'm still puzzled what to do. I could throw it on the rear deck on the opposite side of the port and do that... Or I could cut out my spare tire cover and build a small rack and flush mount it...

What do you guys reccomend for holding the box in place in the trunk and for mounting my amp. (Brutus).