PDA

View Full Version : Why does Alpine H/U have a choke filter on power wire?

MOOSE
03-19-2006, 06:03 AM
I just bought a used 9815 but the in-line fuse was missing. I looked in the manual and it shows an in-line choke fuse box is supposed on the power wire. It'll be easy for me to replace an in-line fuse, but why would Alpine put a ferrite choke on there? I've never seen this on any other head units; is it even necessary?

Slaugh
03-19-2006, 06:44 AM
it's fuse is located inside that plastic box... some other hus will have it attached to the back of the hu... i guess it's better alpine's way, i've seen fuses melting down lol

MOOSE
03-19-2006, 07:06 AM
From the illustration, yes the fuse is INSIDE this box. The box is IN-LINE with the yellow constant power wire. My questions to the experts here are: why is there ALSO a choke inside this box, what is it's purpose, and can I get away without it?

Decipha
03-19-2006, 07:18 AM
what the bare shiit in a *** wheat is a choke?

imaspaceguy90
03-19-2006, 10:07 AM
Up orlly can work without it

iceteebone
03-19-2006, 10:09 AM
i've seen lots of inline fuses :confused:

KaeZoo
03-19-2006, 11:10 AM
It's a noise filter. It may be installed on the power wire so it doesn't have to be installed inside the head unit chassis. Removing it won't damage the unit, but it might result in engine noise.

MOOSE
03-19-2006, 03:49 PM
Engine noise eh? Looks like I'll have to order a factory wiring harness then. Thanks KaeZoo.

iceteebone
03-19-2006, 03:52 PM
Engine noise eh? Looks like I'll have to order a factory wiring harness then. Thanks KaeZoo.

:confused:

MOOSE
03-19-2006, 05:06 PM
Icetee: What I'm saying is that the wiring the head unit I have comes with the wiring harness but it's missing the inline fuse with a ferrite choke assembly on the power wire. If I truly need the choke as KaeZoo's said, then I'll have to order a replacement factory harness -- which will include everything. Makes sense?

iceteebone
03-19-2006, 06:43 PM
Icetee: What I'm saying is that the wiring the head unit I have comes with the wiring harness but it's missing the inline fuse with a ferrite choke assembly on the power wire. If I truly need the choke as KaeZoo's said, then I'll have to order a replacement factory harness -- which will include everything. Makes sense?

you don't truly need it. hook it up and see if you get noise. you can also get an inline fuse at a local hardware store just to be safe