PDA

View Full Version : Building My First Box Help

SQBubble
03-18-2006, 06:37 PM
I wanna make my own box for my sub but I never done it...
So, what type of material is a box usually made of.. and is it expensive?
how do you mount the pieces together?

Can someone tell me what material I need and mark the steps to do!
thx

.::DuD3::.
03-18-2006, 06:47 PM
you need to get some medium density fiberboard (mdf) 3/4s thick from lowes or home depot. it runs around $20 a pop around here. get some wood glue and wood screws, and basically just make clean cuts and you're set.

Rawb
03-18-2006, 06:49 PM
oh lord you have a long way to go... use 3/4" mdf, yes it can be expensive $20-$40 a sheet. Use wood glue and screws or a air nail gun(finishing, not roofing) your gonna want some calking also... look for some guides on line they are out there... build a couple before you build one for use... they arent hard but they can be ugly if not done correctly. good luck

Ingleside
03-18-2006, 07:22 PM
this is what i typically use for a box

sheet of 3/4" MDF $18 - $25
a box of 1 1/2" or 1 5/8" coarse thread dry wall screws
wood glue - titebond 1 or 2
silicone sealant
can of flat or semi flat spray paint if you are porting the box and plan to carpet it.

table saw or circular saw
drill
drill bit to predrill the screws - 3/32 usually works but check it against the screws
countersink bit - so the screw heads are flush with the box
atleast two clamps to hold panels together
screwdriver
jigsaw or similar
t-square
measuring tape, make sure it's accutate. sometimes the rivets loosen up. compare it against a ruler.
wood file
compass to draw your circle for your sub opening.

plan the box out so you understand how the panels are going to go together.
draw out your first panel on your sheet of mdf, cut, and then measure another panel out on the sheet. i've seen people draw their panels out on a sheet and then make thier cuts.
what they didn't realize is that the saw itself takes out material and your panels come out the wrong lenght or width.
drill pilot holes no closer than 2 inches from edges so you dont split the wood with the screws
apply the wood glue and then drill the panels together. clamp them for extra support

Decipha
03-18-2006, 07:25 PM
never ****** use an air gun dummb shiit

xpl0it
03-18-2006, 08:20 PM
How about the port, should you draw where the "stubs" will be on the top piece and then drill? Or would not using screws for the port pieces be alread and just using glue?