PDA

View Full Version : Backseat delete - subwoofer box ?

vorgath
03-17-2006, 05:58 PM
I have a '91 Camaro, deleted the backseat, so now I have quite some room for subwoofers. However I have some concerns/questions.

My buddy at work has a setup prooving it's not the actual size of the system but the design that matters, he's running an Audiobahn amp feeding an 8 inch Fosgate Punch 2 subwoofer at 2 Ohm. His is mounted in the trunk.

It works for him, but it seems like the tiny and I mean it's tiny, sealed enclosure of his, benefits a lot from it's ability and angle, how it's mounted inside the roof area of the trunk. It looks to me like it can reflect and basically benefit from his entire trunk for a better sound.

Is it possible to do something like that with an area behind the front seats in a Camaro ? I'd like to feed two 8's or 10's, nothing huge, but just a decent combination of quality and loudness. Would it help if I would take some pictures of the area where I'm thinking of putting a box in ? Should I make the box as big as possible ?

I'd prefer to go with a sealed enclosure, since this will be my first project. I'll use a little bit of fiberglass just to reinforce. (Have quite a bit of fiberglass experience with my hood, so I know it's not as easy and simple all the time). Will use MDF or similar for the main part.

Also, I think I heard one should get amp/subwoofer combo, matched something like amp feeding a bit over half of the woofer's max RMS ?

I can't go with the traditional solution, i.e. trunk/hatch mounted subwoofer plate/box.

Subwoofers mounted in spare tire area and lock box area, wouldn't be any better than behind the front seats, correct ?

PowerNaudio
03-17-2006, 09:05 PM
it seems to me like your friend had put some though on the subwoofer system design, and thats why it sound like it does.

you should do the same thing.
ones you select where you want the speakers to be. measure the area you have avalible for the enclosure in cubic inches,

then using software like winIsd, see how diffrent subs will respond to the limited space you have and if it will favor to go sealed or ported.

and then select the sub that best suits your application.

once everything is build you can allways change the sound a bit by adding polyfill to the enclosure or adding some mass to make the enclosure smaller.

usualy the further away the sub is from the lithener the smother it will sound, too far and youll notice a delay in the bass, when you hear some of the bass up front soner then the subwoofers.

resonace plays a big factor as well, specialy when building a spare tire enclosure, since youre sending vibes directly to the chassis or body of the vehicle it self, so if building on the spare tire area, dinomat it first, cover it with aluminum foil and tape and then glass it, that way you minimize resonance.

ngsm13
03-17-2006, 09:12 PM
www.soundsplinter.com

Two Rl-i8's... or 10's.

Port them tuned low.

Get an amp that is around 600-800rms...

nG

.::DuD3::.
03-17-2006, 09:35 PM
dude save your seats, and just use your hatch, plenty of room for two 10s, especially if you're going sealed.

vorgath
03-18-2006, 12:05 AM
I never used the backseat anyway, and like I said, don't want to go the traditional way, i.e. hatch/trunk mounted lid/box.

Reason I asked is like I said, the guy's sealed box IS tiny, but he does have the sound expanding/reflecting whatever in the entire trunk.

I was hoping to use a reasonably small amp and somewhat small subwoofers. I know Audiobahn have a bad rep, but in that one setup it sounded good, feeding into Fosgate, cheap but good. (Cheap because the amp is an older model)

ngsm13
03-18-2006, 04:20 AM
www.soundsplinter.com (http://www.soundsplinter.com)

Two Rl-i8's... or 10's.

Port them tuned low.

Get an amp that is around 600-800rms...

nG

^^^ Listen to me, you'll thank me ^^^

nG

fosgate140
03-18-2006, 04:26 AM
^^^ Listen to me, you'll thank me ^^^

nG

x2 rl-i 8" or 10".

vorgath
03-18-2006, 09:59 AM
600-800 RMS amp would cost quite a bit of money. I need tons of things for the car anyway, suspension/steering parts, and upgrading the stereo is just something I'd like to throw in right now, because it's driving me nuts while I'm driving :D

One can get those older Audiobahn's for 100 bucks or so nowadays

Are there any other programs besides WinISD ? It doesn't seem to provide me with a lot of info, I may not go for a rectangular box, more like a slanted box. I'll give the software one thing though, at least it gives you the size for the porthole in ported enclosures.

mazdakid
03-18-2006, 11:10 AM
go big if your taking the back seats out, i have a 8 cubic foot box in the back of my tiburon with the back seats out

03-18-2006, 01:47 PM
600-800 RMS amp would cost quite a bit of money. I need tons of things for the car anyway, suspension/steering parts, and upgrading the stereo is just something I'd like to throw in right now, because it's driving me nuts while I'm driving :D

Are there any other programs besides WinISD ? It doesn't seem to provide me with a lot of info, I may not go for a rectangular box, more like a slanted box. I'll give the software one thing though, at least it gives you the size for the porthole in ported enclosures.
www.the12volt.com has some good calculators for odd angles and what not.

ngsm13
03-18-2006, 04:11 PM

600-800rms WILL NOT cost a lot of money.

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT get anything audiobahn. You WILL regret it.

You came to this site for a reason right? To ask questions to those tht are more knowledgeable, and have more experience with this stuff than you...

So listen to them ;). Two friends of mine, their first car audio purchase was audiobahn amp and speakers... one of them, the amp fried. The other one, the amp went wrong internally, and took his subwoofers with it (totally messed up the subs he had installed at the time).

So. Check out www.ebay.com, buy NEW from an ebay store with Buy it Now! Check out Hifonics... they have solid amps for cheap.

www.soundsplinter.com ;)...

nG

vorgath
03-18-2006, 07:17 PM
Look, I'm looking for an amp, for 100-150 bucks (which is why I was aiming for some outdated models) , I work, "a certain someone else" in my house doesn't do ****, so I only have one income.

vorgath
03-18-2006, 07:21 PM
I know Audiobahn has an extremely lousy rep, although probably better than uhmmm Sony or Lightning Audio. I just know what I heard in one car with Audiobahn.
I know that the biggest problem seems to be that the advertised RMS wattage is not what it really is, so I guess one can't be sure what wattage an Audiobahn amp really has.

Don't other amps run a slightly bigger chance at overheating ? Amps with no internal fan, that is ?

What's the name of that brand that people usually recommend for cheap but good for the buck amps, was it Power Acoustic ?

03-18-2006, 07:25 PM
this http://cgi.ebay.com/HIFONICS-BXi606-Mono-Amplifier-Amp-BXi-606-New-BX605_W0QQitemZ5881018515QQcategoryZ18797QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem is just 1 example of what ngsm was talking about. search ebay all over, there are a lot of good inexpensive amps. i would recommend picking your sub before buying an amp though....cough rl-i10 cough

Decipha
03-18-2006, 07:32 PM
i haven't heard any bs in this thread yet... good werk

btw.. the old school rockford is anything but cheap... highly wanted
even in todays markets... often an older rockford will sell for more
than its retail when it was new... just my 2 pennies

Tirefryr
03-18-2006, 07:41 PM
If you are just going to take your seats out and put the subs there, chances are, you will have some severe cancellation issues. IF you do decide to go this route, make a temporary enclosure, and place it on the seat trying different firing arrangements. Now, if you are going to seal it off, such as a wall, you should be fine.

vorgath
03-19-2006, 02:28 AM
This will be a permanent solution, which is why I mentioned a somewhat angled box, since I want it to not only sound good but also look like it's somewhat blended in.

Old school Rockford Fosgate, the amps or the subs ?

ngsm13
03-19-2006, 02:54 AM
i haven't heard any bs in this thread yet... good werk

btw.. the old school rockford is anything but cheap... highly wanted
even in todays markets... often an older rockford will sell for more
than its retail when it was new... just my 2 pennies

And you're still a ******* retard.

nG