PDA

View Full Version : router shopping

pwnt by pat
03-16-2006, 12:55 PM
I am in the market for a router today. :D

I'm not sure if I should be looking for a fixed base or plunge router. I know plunge go up and down but I don't know how that affects what I'm doing....

I'm mainly looking for a router to make cutouts, baffels, flushmount installs, and roundovers.

Second, what would I need to make a guide for the roundover bit? In a picture I saw, the router had two poles/bolts that lead the bit along the edge of the wood. Is that something that has to be made or is it something that should come with the router?

Thanks

theCybe
03-16-2006, 01:47 PM
A plunge router will save you the hassle of pre-drilling an insertion point if you're routing a circle; Also, if you want to route thick MDF, you need to do it in varying depths; ie, do the first 1/4", then the next 1/4", etc; Else burn the bit/wood.

I'd recommend the plunge router. There are a plethora of bolt-ons for most routers, I think what you're describing is a sort of fence. To roundover, the bit itself should have a bearing at the end; Allowing it to roll down the edge of a surface and maintain a proper bevel.

Flipx99
03-16-2006, 01:49 PM
x2 on the plunge router but I find making rings quite difficult with router using jasper jig. They work much better with a orbital jigsaw but as for making cutout circles, nothing better than a plunge router with upspiral bit.

ramos
03-16-2006, 02:40 PM
X a billion a plunge router can do what a fixed base can do, plus plunge cutting. Most plunge routers have depth gauges and stops to hold there depth. :)

AcidicDreams
03-16-2006, 02:46 PM
get a plunge... and if your tight on money the red skil router (~70) seems to be a deal.. otherwise go for the better brands... ohh and all a plunge is is a regular router mounted on the plunge attachment... most I've seen you could unmount and use on a router table if you wanted..

ramos
03-16-2006, 02:58 PM
get a plunge... and if your tight on money the red skil router (~70) seems to be a deal.. otherwise go for the better brands... ohh and all a plunge is is a regular router mounted on the plunge attachment... most I've seen you could unmount and use on a router table if you wanted..

The two skills I have bolt to the table I made with the bases still on. Bolts on just like the jasper jig does. :)

pwnt by pat
03-16-2006, 03:05 PM
So a plunge router... okay.

Question about the roundover bits: Is it possible to round over two sides of 3/4" with a 3/8 roundover to make a perfect semi-circle piece of wood (like for rounded inside port bends)?

ramos
03-16-2006, 03:41 PM
Yes sir you can :)