PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow SLC?

cpalcott
03-16-2006, 12:21 AM
Hello. I am a first time poster, long time lurker who is looking for some components. As you can see from my signature, I am in desperate need of your help. My current setup sounds like complete and utter crap. I think this has a lot to do with the fact that the doors have no deadening (that will change with new speaker install). I don't think Polks are considered to be bad speakers, but my god those tweets are ripping a hole through my head.

I have done some listening (Diamond, JL, Memphis). Didn’t do much for me. Anyway, after doing a ton of searches on every car audio forum I could find, I came to the conclusion that Rainbow seems to be one of the few speaker companies that hardly ever gets a negative review. The SLCs have gotten good reviews here and I am thinking they would fit my budget. Is there any way to get the most recent lineup online here in the states? I know there are some Rainbow dealers on this forum. Would you mind PMing me some prices and procedures?

Is my Orion 4004 bridged going to be enough to push the Rainbows? Thanks for your help!

flakko
03-16-2006, 12:24 AM
rainbows need onlay around 70w to get goin, and 90 to really shine.

the IDQ is a really nice SQ sub, how big is that enclosure?

also get a new sub amp :crap: i beg you.

Raven
03-16-2006, 12:47 AM
SLCs don't really take any power at all to work. I run them. They are indeed an awesome component set.

Also, like Flakko said, look into a new sub amp. Monoblock Class Ds are cheap and efficient power for subwoofers. Try Directed or Viper for some cheap clean power.

flakko
03-16-2006, 12:50 AM
Also, like Flakko said, look into a new sub amp. Monoblock Class Ds are cheap and efficient power for subwoofers. Try Directed or Viper for some cheap power.

edit that... "cheap power" lol

goodrich
03-16-2006, 07:40 AM
Hello. I am a first time poster, long time lurker who is looking for some components. As you can see from my signature, I am in desperate need of your help. My current setup sounds like complete and utter crap. I think this has a lot to do with the fact that the doors have no deadening (that will change with new speaker install). I don't think Polks are considered to be bad speakers, but my god those tweets are ripping a hole through my head.

I have done some listening (Diamond, JL, Memphis). Didn’t do much for me. Anyway, after doing a ton of searches on every car audio forum I could find, I came to the conclusion that Rainbow seems to be one of the few speaker companies that hardly ever gets a negative review. The SLCs have gotten good reviews here and I am thinking they would fit my budget. Is there any way to get the most recent lineup online here in the states? I know there are some Rainbow dealers on this forum. Would you mind PMing me some prices and procedures?

Is my Orion 4004 bridged going to be enough to push the Rainbows? Thanks for your help!

talk to 6spdcoupe, Don is a great guy to work with...very knowlegable.

cpalcott
03-16-2006, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the replies. I figured I would take it on the chin for the lightning. I bought this amp years ago for my first setup and I thought I might be able to get away with it because IDQs are known to function well on mid to low power. But the combination is not working. Bass is flopping all over the place and I have to use the juice boost just to get it moving. I will be replacing the amp soon. How much power would make this sub shine? I would need an efficient amp because I have a feeling my alternator won't take too much.

The box dimensions are: Type 1 sealed enclosure • width: 15-3/4" • height: 14-3/8" • bottom depth: 16-1/2" • top depth: 11-1/2" • Vol=1.0. At least according to ID this should be a good match for this sub. It's in the trunk facing the back of the back seats.

goodrich
03-16-2006, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the replies. I figured I would take it on the chin for the lightning. I bought this amp years ago for my first setup and I thought I might be able to get away with it because IDQs are known to function well on mid to low power. But the combination is not working. Bass is flopping all over the place and I have to use the juice boost just to get it moving. I will be replacing the amp soon. How much power would make this sub shine? I would need an efficient amp because I have a feeling my alternator won't take too much.

The box dimensions are: Type 1 sealed enclosure • width: 15-3/4" • height: 14-3/8" • bottom depth: 16-1/2" • top depth: 11-1/2" • Vol=1.0. At least according to ID this should be a good match for this sub. It's in the trunk facing the back of the back seats.

Class D Mono will be the most efficient bet