PDA

View Full Version : What are the snappiest mids you've owned?

FoxPro5
03-16-2006, 12:05 AM
When I thow in Tool's "Fourty-Six and 2", I need to experiece Danny Carey's snare drum right down deep in my bones. However, on the other end of the spectrum, when sampling a little something by Sade, I want to experience the clarity and punch from a sweet-*** bass line.

So what's going to do it for me?

alphakenny1
03-16-2006, 12:17 AM
i like this thread, just waiting for you to sell me those mids for nothing ;).

ngsm13
03-16-2006, 12:20 AM
I have one of those songs. I need the other one.

Then I'll let you know.

nG

FoxPro5
03-16-2006, 12:28 AM
i like this thread, just waiting for you to sell me those mids for nothing ;).

Soon enough young grasshopper, soon enough ;)

99StangGt
03-16-2006, 12:32 AM
Seas CA18s were the snappiest I have had. On another note, how do you like the ARC sub. I have the same one but havent hooked it up yet. Was thinking of selling it because I am thinking of doing an extreme budget system.

Moe Lester
03-16-2006, 12:37 AM
morel elate 6.5s were probably the snappiest ive heard but i do not own them, however they have some awesome midbass. i own the morel hybrid ovation 6.5" 2 way set and those too sound very very nice.

alphakenny1
03-16-2006, 12:39 AM
okay maybe i'll actually contribute to this thread.

oh i listened to some trance music today first time (friend made me a cd) and wow midbass was pretty snappy and enjoyed every minute of it. i haven't owned too many speakers but thus far these ca18rly are great.

Raven
03-16-2006, 12:40 AM
On my Next comps, I can up the electrical Q easy enough. They snap pretty nicely but I have yet to actually try them on anything but free air.

The snappiest would have to be my beals 8s, which technically aren't mids, but **** they sound nice.

FoxPro5
03-16-2006, 12:43 AM
Seas CA18s were the snappiest I have had. On another note, how do you like the ARC sub. I have the same one but havent hooked it up yet. Was thinking of selling it because I am thinking of doing an extreme budget system.

I recommend trying it before you sell it. I integrates in my system better than any sub I've owned including Eclipse Alum, a/d/s 312rs, Infinity Perfect, MB Quart Premium, and other's I've missed probably.

desertheat
03-16-2006, 12:46 AM
On my Next comps, I can up the electrical Q easy enough. They snap pretty nicely but I have yet to actually try them on anything but free air.

The snappiest would have to be my beals 8s, which technically aren't mids, but **** they sound nice.

Wow forgot about beals.. *LOL* wow that was a flashback. Anyways they made good stuff!

GSteg
03-16-2006, 12:46 AM
snappiest would be the Seas Lotus Reference. More snappy than my former Lotus performance.

The L18-series are **** snappy too.

99StangGt
03-16-2006, 12:48 AM
I am going to keep it. Can only get about 125 for it. and replacing it will only save about 50 at best. I am replacing an IDQ. hope its as good but I am thinking better. I was thinking 6.5 subs in package tray but going to shelf that idea. Just hope it integrates with my Kodas.

Raven
03-16-2006, 12:52 AM
Wow forgot about beals.. *LOL* wow that was a flashback. Anyways they made good stuff!
http://www.epicrevival.net/projects/midbass/
;)

alphakenny1
03-16-2006, 12:54 AM
I am going to keep it. Can only get about 125 for it. and replacing it will only save about 50 at best. I am replacing an IDQ. hope its as good but I am thinking better. I was thinking 6.5 subs in package tray but going to shelf that idea. Just hope it integrates with my Kodas.

i went from the IDQ to the ARc as well and i think they are similar but i give the edge to the arc overall. i think it had much better low end than the idq and the bass a bit more clean, just a teeny bit though. but i think the arc is better.

6spdcoupe
03-16-2006, 02:38 AM
i went from the IDQ to the ARc as well and i think they are similar but i give the edge to the arc overall. i think it had much better low end than the idq and the bass a bit more clean, just a teeny bit though. but i think the arc is better.

I would certainly agree with that. It would be a shame to get rid of it without trying it first. His ears are in for a treat.

3.5Max6spd
03-16-2006, 10:59 AM
When I thow in Tool's "Fourty-Six and 2", I need to experiece Danny Carey's snare drum right down deep in my bones. However, on the other end of the spectrum, when sampling a little something by Sade, I want to experience the clarity and punch from a sweet-*** bass line.

So what's going to do it for me?

I say try some tuning to see what you can get out of those...
http://www.recordingeq.com/Subscribe/tip/tascam.htm

99StangGt
03-16-2006, 11:04 AM

Thats a good easy explanation of the freqs and what they adjust.

FoxPro5
03-16-2006, 11:09 AM

Awesome, thanks!!

Not going to ditch the Perf mids, just taking a poll of sorts ;)

slain93gsr
03-16-2006, 05:09 PM
the seas reference mid is definitely snappy.the midrange is very natural and very detailed. less forgiving on poor recordings.

another mid i thought was snappy was the old boston pro 6.5 mid. only set back to that set was it had to be fed a good amount of power for it to shine. I was feeding mine 350-400 a side.

3.5Max6spd
03-16-2006, 05:13 PM
I think overall Focal, Seas and Rainbow mids in general are on the snappy side. Go to their phase plug drivers and they get even snappier.

FoxPro5
03-16-2006, 06:04 PM
another mid i thought was snappy was the old boston pro 6.5 mid. only set back to that set was it had to be fed a good amount of power for it to shine. I was feeding mine 350-400 a side.

I did like that set, however couldn't handle the tweet and also found the midrange to be almost barky sounding.

Is there any correlation between cone material and "snappiness?" The Seas Ref are cast magnesium, right. So would it's characteristic sound have more to do with the cone material or the phase plug?

FoxPro5
03-16-2006, 06:05 PM
I think overall Focal, Seas and Rainbow mids in general are on the snappy side. Go to their phase plug drivers and they get even snappier.

Within those maufacturers or phase plug drivers in general?

Slammed
03-16-2006, 06:06 PM
Seas CA18RNX...

Max Fidelity High Q...

3.5Max6spd
03-16-2006, 06:23 PM
Within those maufacturers or phase plug drivers in general?

Well i mean their signature sound to their midbasses. There sure are others.

Not all phase plug drivers are characerized as snappy- for instance i havent hear the Peerless exclusives labeled as so...but then again i havent heard one myself.

Speaking of cone materials...What i do know, for a wide frquency mid...theres something about paper cones that I just love- Not only can they reproduce a natural sounding snap, but i enjoy the sound texture of the midrange.

If i were to use a cone midrange driver, it would have a paper cone. Paper cone subs arent too shabby either:naughty:

hcoronado
03-16-2006, 06:30 PM
Hi there,
although i am not familiar with any of the brands you guys have mentioned; I am too in the process of upgrading my mid and high portion of my set up.

Currently running everytthing JL (see sig) I am running 300/4 running the entire mid and high section but sometimes it feels like i might be overpowering the JL's and find myself turning down the volume quiet a bit.

I would like to find a good componet set of three way component that can handle 150 watts per side.

theCybe
03-16-2006, 07:28 PM
Thats a good easy explanation of the freqs and what they adjust.

By the way, if you navigate to http://www.recordinginstitute.com/alexuser/tipindex2.html

The login / password "alex" and "user" will work.

super haxer > me

FoxPro5
03-17-2006, 09:27 PM
How about the Scan-speak Revelators?

FoxPro5
03-21-2006, 11:09 PM
How about the Scan-speak Revelators?

Nobody? I hear these get praise all the time.:crap:

3.5Max6spd
03-21-2006, 11:14 PM
Revs sound boomy from my experiences IB. Like mini subs. Those drivers are better suited for small enclosures/cabinets.

FoxPro5
03-21-2006, 11:20 PM
Revs sound boomy from my experiences IB. Like mini subs. Those drivers are better suited for small enclosures/cabinets.

Interesting....thanks for the input. Your thoughts on Dayton mids......?

GSteg
03-21-2006, 11:24 PM
Daytons are pretty snappier, at least snappier than the SS revelators.