PDA

View Full Version : 12 L7 box help-- first ported

thugpassion
03-15-2006, 11:03 AM
i currently have my 12" L7 in a small sealed box and all i read on the forums is how L7s come alive ported.dso while im redoing my whole system i figure that i'll build a ported box. BUT i've never built one and Moe Lester's dontr really fit what im looking for to fit in my trunk.

I want to do like 2.25ft^3 @ 35hz
Max Dimensions --
H-17"
W-25"
D-15"

What is the difference in boxes with multiple dividers to the port as appossed to a simple L-shaped port?

ramos
03-15-2006, 11:07 AM
i currently have my 12" L7 in a small sealed box and all i read on the forums is how L7s come alive ported.dso while im redoing my whole system i figure that i'll build a ported box. BUT i've never built one and Moe Lester's dontr really fit what im looking for to fit in my trunk.

I want to do like 2.25ft^3 @ 35hz
Max Dimensions -- H-17" W-24" D-14"

What is the difference in boxes with multiple dividers to the port as appossed to a simple L-shaped port?

I'm not sure I understand the question really. But If I do, the multiple dividers are needed for added port length. Low tuning in a small enclosure makes for a long port ( more port walls ). Where as the same low tuning in a larger enclosure is going to be shorter ( simple L shaped ports. :)

ramos
03-15-2006, 11:10 AM
Didn't even see your dimensions there. You might not have enough room after port and sub displacement within your given dimensions. The port is gonna displace roughly a half a cuft just in volume not counting wall thickness :)

thugpassion
03-15-2006, 11:11 AM
I'm not sure I understand the question really. But If I do, the multiple dividers are needed for added port length. Low tuning in a small enclosure makes for a long port ( more port walls ). Where as the same low tuning in a larger enclosure is going to be shorter ( simple L shaped ports. :)

ok thanks for clearing that up for me, i obviously know nothing about box design. that was just a side question.

I really need someone to help me design a box.

thugpassion
03-15-2006, 11:20 AM
Didn't even see your dimensions there. You might not have enough room after port and sub displacement within your given dimensions. The port is gonna displace roughly a half a cuft just in volume not counting wall thickness :)

thats what i was worried about. i dont want to ajhve to change the config of my setup (check my avatar) i like the positioning of everything now. otherwise i'll have to push the sub to the back and put my amps on the floor in front of the box kind of like that project Kia w/ 1 L7 on Alpine amps

thai_creeper
03-15-2006, 11:28 AM
how much bigger is moe's then u need? im about to try making one of them next week cuz ima be on spring break, don't have a tape measurer here at school so i wasn't able to see if those plans would fit or not yet

thugpassion
03-15-2006, 11:36 AM
how much bigger is moe's then u need?
well Moe's design (http://img23.imageshack.us/my.php?image=225cubes31hz3375sqin2bm.png)doesnt fit anything i need; i want it tuned at 35hz, no more than 25"W his is 30", also his is 16.25"D i dont want to go more than 15".

thugpassion
03-15-2006, 05:48 PM
just checking up on responses from work.... is there anyone that can help me out?

thugpassion
03-15-2006, 11:12 PM
if no one can help me design the box can you tell me how to calculate port size to tune at 35hz?

PhatTonyDeMarco
03-15-2006, 11:17 PM
How tall can you have the box? For the space you need, it will need to be around 18" tall.

thugpassion
03-15-2006, 11:28 PM
17" is my max height

vetkilr
03-15-2006, 11:53 PM
If you could go a lil deeper you could go 4th order.

1.3cuft sealed/1.35 ported tuned to 60-65hz.............should handle lots of power.

Im about to build one to these specs..cant wait to hear it.

thugpassion
03-16-2006, 12:05 AM
i dont understand all these bandpass orders but thanks

would this work, disregard the bottom dimensionsa i just edited the drawing dimensions from one of Moes designs
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/thugpassion4life/L7box1try.jpg

thugpassion
03-16-2006, 01:50 AM
bump, im looking to buld a test box tomorrof... i calculated that (before sub displacement which idk what it is) it would be 33hz so after sub disp. would i be about 35hz? if i used polyfill woulf i be better off being that this box is only 2.2cf before sub disp?

Pyro_By_Nature
03-16-2006, 01:59 AM
I'd go with the 4th order option :p:

Then again, I've spoiled myself and I can never run a "regular" box again.**** those high order bandpasses and horns.

Anyway, drop me a PM with your AIM name if you have one and I'll see if I can help ya along.