PDA

View Full Version : Requesting Coaxial Speaker Advice!

darksparkz
03-15-2006, 09:57 AM
I currently have a 1997 Toyota Camry LE, it has the stock 6.5 coaxials in front and 6x9 coaxials in rear. I tend to listen to r&b, rap, techno, trance, and all that bass stuff. I would say I'm looking for SQ over SPL. Budget is roughly around $400 or so for front and rear and a amp, will probably add a sub and monoamp later.

I'm thinking to get a 6.5 coaxial for front and 6x9 coaxial for rear, and a 2-chn amp and have my HU power my rear speakers.

As for the coaxials, I'm not sure to go with 2-way or 3-way speakers, I think I'll go with the 3-ways. Is it okay to have 2-ways in front and 3-ways in back? Or vice-versa? (Remember, this is still coaxials)

For the 6.5s, I've been looking some Infinity Kappa 63.7i, the JL VR's, and heard things about the Pioneer REVs. Also some say the Diamond M361i's are a good idea. Any idea on which I should get?

As for the 6x9s, the JL VRs or TRs seem good, but I'm not sure if I should mix 3-ways with 2-way speakers, since VRs are 2-way while TRs are 3-way.

Any suggestion on what amp I should use to power the front two speakers? I looked at the JL e2150s, but some say the Memphis 16-MC150s are a better choice.

Sorry if I'm asking for a lot, just looking for suggestions on a first time setup.

goodrich
03-15-2006, 11:20 AM
if you're on a budget it's best stay with a 2-way, 3-way is very expensive to make sound right.

darksparkz
03-15-2006, 03:57 PM
This is a coaxial setup, so I don't think I'd need a crossover or anything special to set it up. The 3 ways are "all-in-one" speaker.

goodrich
03-15-2006, 04:28 PM
most coaxils have an internal x-over, i did however, own some MOMO/Polk coaxils that had an external x-over. trust me, stay with two ways unless you spend some money on comps. you have a PM.

darksparkz
03-15-2006, 10:54 PM
Looked at it.

Still hunting around for some good speakers, the Infinity Kappa line for both 6.5 and 6x9 coaxials look nice, any idea how that'll pair up?

Ganglyminnow
03-16-2006, 12:30 AM
If your goin the Coax route, I personally recommend either Pioneer REV's! For rear duty off HU i'd prolly get some Boston S series...my girl has some performing that same duty and they sound great.

darksparkz
03-16-2006, 06:00 PM
Pioneer REVs has been recommend a lot, but would the Infinity Kappa 63.1i's be betteR?

theCybe
03-16-2006, 06:05 PM
Idea: Don't put anything in the rear, install a real component set up front, and grab a two or four-channel amp.

With a four channel, you could do an active setup provided you have good HU processing; With a two channel, you could run passive.

Don't upgrade the slow way; If you put those coaxials in, you'll want a component set before long. I've thrown many dollars away on 'what i could afford' rather than 'what i really want'

I have some $80 coaxials that aren't worth anything at resale; And a set of $40 components that I replaced them with.

Much more satisfaction from the component set.

With a $400 budget, you can have a pretty ****ed nice front stage.

I'd only recommend the coaxials if you're going to run them from a stock headunit, or without an amplifier.

darksparkz
03-16-2006, 07:11 PM
Well I don't have room for the small tweeters in front, and it's a pretty big hassle to mod a hole in the front pillars. I understand the fact that coaxials are not really worth investing in, but then I want something simple for my first speaker setup. I just want something that's quite a bit better then stock at least, then use comps in my next car. My brothers using this car after me, so he's willing to pay a bit into it, and I'll stil be using it for another year.

I might just plan on getting a good HU and skip the amp to make wiring much more simple. If worse comes to worse, then I'll add in a amp later on. Are there any HUs that support over like 22x4 RMS?

Mike75
03-19-2006, 06:44 AM
There is a Panasonic HU that does well over 22X4 RMS....If you are just looking for a decent improvement, I am sure you would be happy with the Infinity Kappa's for the front and rear, powered with an amp...However, be sure to match it up correctly with the amp, because their Kappa series is 2ohms, which will not run from a HU anyways...Good Luck

Decipha
03-19-2006, 07:40 AM
thecybe... take his advice he's eaten his wheaties!

$400 should be just perfect.

go to an audio shop and listen to some comps... get the comps YOU like not
what others favor

I'd PERSONALLY recommend boston sl60's can be had on ebay for 206 shipped
brand new, they can handle 100 rms all day with no problems possibly more...
if your willing to go deaf... very nice sounding speakers IMO and you can't
go wrong with boston acoustics

Boston SL60 (http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-BOSTON-ACOUSTICS-SL60-6-5-2-WAY-COMPONENT-SPEAKERS_W0QQitemZ5881431698QQcategoryZ32819QQssPa geNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

...but like i said get what you like i just used this as an example!!!!!

next you need an amp to power the boston's
lets see what the funds are currently at
400-206=$194

keep in mind the amp should be rated at around 80-100 x 2 @ 4 ohms rms
Memphis model 16-PR200.2 (http://cgi.ebay.com/MEMPHIS-PR200-2-400-WATT-2-CHANNEL-AMPLIFIER-CAR-AMP_W0QQitemZ5864809979QQcategoryZ18796QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem) amp is rated 100 x 2 @ 4 ohms rms..ah ha
the amp can be had off ebay for $140

i'm pretty sure you can find this off a site with a warranty for about the same price,
i may be wrong but its something worth looking into if you want to go this route

lets do simple subtraction 194-140=$54 ah ha thats leaves enuff money for
the wiring!

if you would like to find a wiring kit search yourself i'm kind of tired but 4 ga
will be sufficient... the less resistance the better... also leaves you room to
upgrade like you said

Decipha
03-19-2006, 07:47 AM
oh yeah btw... trash the rear speakers

a good component set up front will give you all the sound you need
and improve imaging greatly, a little tip... never mount a tweeter
on the a-pillar... the general rule of thumb is the closer the tweeter
is to the midwoofer the 'wider' your music will sound

I laugh at people with tweeters on there a-pillars... just hilarious
people are dumb

Decipha
03-19-2006, 07:48 AM
I'm not dumb

Decipha
yes u r

Decipha
*** u i'm goin to sleep

Decipha
nite

how dull is your life?

loud-n-low
03-19-2006, 08:57 AM
I have Crystal mobile sound coaxials ssw series, great 2 way, almost like a component set...Crystalmobilesound.com

6spdcoupe
03-20-2006, 01:11 AM
If you dont wanna mount the tweets somewhere then look into a braxial set or make your own. Either way a set of comps will surely yield the best results now and further down the road when you would get tired of the simple coaxs.

darksparkz
03-20-2006, 04:03 PM
Hm, seems like a good point. I'll try to see if I have anyone knowing how to mount tweets or mod holes for them for the best positioning. Because it does seem like a better idea to stick with the stock rear 6x9 and get a nice frontstage comp set, a good amp and decent HU. I can add a sub or rear 6x9s anytime later.

Do all comp sets have an external crossover? Should I get sets that come with a external crossover, or just buy a seperate one for like $25.

6spdcoupe
03-20-2006, 04:10 PM
Hm, seems like a good point. I'll try to see if I have anyone knowing how to mount tweets or mod holes for them for the best positioning. Because it does seem like a better idea to stick with the stock rear 6x9 and get a nice frontstage comp set, a good amp and decent HU. I can add a sub or rear 6x9s anytime later.

Do all comp sets have an external crossover? Should I get sets that come with a external crossover, or just buy a seperate one for like $25.

Youll definately thatnk yourself later for doing it that way.

Yes they typically all have external crossovers, although some simply have it inline.

darksparkz
03-21-2006, 05:38 PM
I've heard good things about the CDT Audio Classic Series CL-61E 6 1/2" Components, any other recommendations for a budget of under $200 or so for 6.5 comps?