PDA

View Full Version : how does this 2 way set sound?

springy101
03-15-2006, 04:44 AM
ok with the advice from some people at diyaudio.com and diymobileaudio.com, i am gonna try to put together my own 2 way set consisting of 2 5.25" dayton aluminum cone woofers and stock door locations, and 2 hi-vi k1 tweeters in the a pillars to go along with my RE 12" sub in the trunk. first where can i find some good crossovers and does this sound like a good, cheap solution to my car audio woes?

alphakenny1
03-15-2006, 05:05 AM
sounds good. but if you've seen me post enough you'd know that i will recommend going active with a diy setup. i'm not positive but my guess is your hu isn't 3 way capable so just look for an external 3 way crossover.

springy101
03-15-2006, 05:28 AM
yes im going active but i need to find a good external crossover, which was one of my questions in my first post.

alphakenny1
03-15-2006, 05:45 AM
i just ebayed some for you, http://electronics.search.ebay.com/3-way-crossover_Car-Electronics_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR8QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ 3QQsacatZ3270. doesn't look too bad. at most $100 for a 3 way crossover.

squeak9798
03-15-2006, 10:33 AM
Make sure whatever crossover you choose will do bandpass. Coustic XM6 is a good, affordable option.

I'd suggest you avoid anything Audiocontrol that uses the resistor packs instead of pots. Not very user friendly...so it'd be hard for a novice to work with well. Plus they don't allow over/underlapping...which is sometimes necessary.

Darth Audio
03-15-2006, 01:18 PM
If cost is a concern Audiobahn makes a 3way that has a selectable high/bandpass for two of the channels. While not usually one to recommend Audiobahn I will say that this unit wasn't too bad. The build quality was nice but of course it is CHROME! But other than that it is a decent unit. I installed it for a coworker a few months back who was doing an active setup and I think the model number was 303X or close to that.

springy101
03-15-2006, 02:16 PM
If cost is a concern Audiobahn makes a 3way that has a selectable high/bandpass for two of the channels. While not usually one to recommend Audiobahn I will say that this unit wasn't too bad. The build quality was nice but of course it is CHROME! But other than that it is a decent unit. I installed it for a coworker a few months back who was doing an active setup and I think the model number was 303X or close to that.
god **** chrome, maybe ill take the top off so you can just see the insides.

edit: i just found the audiobahn on ebay and it doesnt look to bling, at least no chrome flames.

Darth Audio
03-15-2006, 03:12 PM
Cool. I think it has a remote-mounted sub level controller with it too.