PDA

View Full Version : I want to rewrap my panels in black vinyl, how do i do this?

pimpn04coupe
03-14-2006, 09:25 PM
Ok, i have been wanting to do this for a while. I have silver panels right now in my trunk, one going over the face of the sub box and one over the amps. I want to redo it in black vinyl. Does anyone know how to do this, or how to go about this little adventure? I want to do it myself, i dont want to pay a shop to wrap panels. Any idea of what vinyl i will need to get? Anywhere online that has a guide and/or supplies? I am guessing i will have to do it OVER my silver vinyl in my panels, because there is no way i can get that stuff off, its glued on.... Thanks.

zachzchw
03-14-2006, 09:27 PM
Go to a fabric store, pick up some vinyl. Its around $15 a yard here. Also get some GOOD spray adhesive- I used the 3m stuff.
Then trace it on the back of the vinyl around the place you want to cover, and cut it out. Soak both pieces, and stick it on there. Then just apply pressure to smooth out all the bubbles.

pimpn04coupe
03-14-2006, 10:30 PM
there isnt like a special kind of vinyl i need?

Moe Lester
03-14-2006, 10:38 PM
The vinyl will come off, it is going to be a huge pain. Youll have to peel the vinyl off, use laquer thinner to remove ALL of the glue, and then rewrap all of the panels.

pimpn04coupe
03-14-2006, 10:46 PM
okay so i do have to remove the vinyl that is there currently, right? But then i remember you have to use something under the vinyl when applying it to the material that the panels themselves are made out of (i dont know what its called its like really thin wood thats semi flexible).... but i remember something goes over that material under the vinyl... to give it that fluffy look where you can poke the panels and the vinyl feels thick or whatever.... sorry im explaining it so bad...

azbass
03-14-2006, 10:49 PM
some vinyl comes with a backing that gives it a plush touch to it. but get vinyl that will streach good. also you can take a heat gun and carefully streach and mold it to the kick.

pimpn04coupe
03-14-2006, 11:29 PM
i just spoke ot my friend and he said that i dont need to remove the vinyl i have there now, just need to get the new vinyl stretch is over correctly, cut it properly, and then staple gun it on the back...

squeak9798
03-15-2006, 03:32 PM
but i remember something goes over that material under the vinyl... to give it that fluffy look where you can poke the panels and the vinyl feels thick or whatever.... sorry im explaining it so bad...

You can just go to someplace like Walmart and pick up some 1/8" foam.

pimpn04coupe
03-15-2006, 06:03 PM
im planning on doing this today, but guys please help me on this one, do i NEED to remove the crap under the vinyl thats under there now and the grey vinyl before i put the black one on? or can i just put the black over the grey vinyl which makes things 100x easier.... thanks.

theCybe
03-15-2006, 07:01 PM
a) 3m Super 90
b) Stretchy-est textured vinyl you can find
c) document clips
d) hot hairdryer / heatgun
e) sandpaper 80 grit or less

1) Remove vinyl
2) rough sand
3) clean clean clean
4) spray parts, spray vinyl backing
5) apply with heat, form to shape, use document clips to hold the stretched pieces

note; Do not document clip directly onto the vinyl, it leaves a dent forever.

I recommend white, not-glossy or sealed vinyl; It'll soak up paint/dye really well; My console looks absolutely professional, minus two dents from the document clips :(

I used some scrap vinyl pieces in between the doc.clips after that, no dents.