PDA

View Full Version : My New Box...

HardHittaz00
03-14-2006, 05:37 PM
Hey guys,
I just got done building my new box... It's tuned at about 35Hz... It will be housing two 12" L7's... Thanks to RawDogJ!!! He designed this box and talked me through the build...

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/DriftinStratus00/My%20Box/DSCF0015.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/DriftinStratus00/My%20Box/DSCF0017.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/DriftinStratus00/My%20Box/DSCF0019.jpg

mikescanlon
03-14-2006, 05:39 PM
nice build, plenty of screws never hurt anyone.

TypeRBass
03-14-2006, 05:39 PM
too many screws :-\ on my boxes i use screws about every 6-7 inches only.

Loudrango112
03-14-2006, 05:41 PM
too many screws :-\ on my boxes i use screws about every 6-7 inches only.
I hate using so many screws also... but to many screws is better then to little isnt it tho? ;)

Jordantyler
03-14-2006, 05:42 PM
Nice box.. But remember The wood glue Holds the box together the screws are the support :)

Loudrango112
03-14-2006, 05:44 PM
Nice box.. But remember The wood glue Holds the box together the screws are the support :)
Even over glueing doesnt hurt anything... it maybe EXTREMELY over doing it.... but its better to over do something that isnt hurtting anything, then it is to under do it... and mess up and have to do it again.

MikeyB
03-14-2006, 05:46 PM
Looks pretty good bro, but yeah thats a lot of screws lol. BTW wheres the holes for the subs?

HardHittaz00
03-14-2006, 05:58 PM
lol, the subs haven't gotten here yet... And yeah, this was my first serious box build, I didn't learn until after I pumped it full of screws that it was too many, and I used heavy duty liquid nails...

MikeyB
03-14-2006, 06:02 PM
Ouuuccchhhh, that wast the first mistake, Liquid Nails. I've used it before in box builds, it works......but not as good as good old cheap wood glue.

rawdogj
03-14-2006, 06:18 PM
Ouuuccchhhh, that wast the first mistake, Liquid Nails. I've used it before in box builds, it works......but not as good as good old cheap wood glue.

yeah your crazy!!

i have used wood glue , gorilla glue, and liquid nails......

cant beat liquid nails!!!

THUNDERBIRD
03-14-2006, 06:21 PM
yeah could have saved some money and got wood glue or gorrila glue for that price. i used to use gorrila glue or glue like it but i have gone to titebond3 now. u should have painted that port black but u still can paint it. looks good tho

PhatTonyDeMarco
03-14-2006, 06:21 PM
yeah your crazy!!

Actually wood glue (be it Elmer's or whatever) is generally better because it will create an actual chemical bond between the joints, apposed to the physical bond that the liquid nails provides.

But dont expect your box to fall apart with Liquid Nails, it will be just find...

MikeyB
03-14-2006, 06:29 PM
Actually wood glue (be it Elmer's or whatever) is generally better because it will create an actual chemical bond between the joints, apposed to the physical bond that the liquid nails provides.

But dont expect your box to fall apart with Liquid Nails, it will be just find...

Precisely, the wood glue makes the piece bond together like one piece, Liquid Nails is just some plain strong glue. I would much rather just use good ol' wood glue and know that I won't have a single leak, that is of coarse with my perfectly straight cuts. ;)

edit- and wood glue is 12381723981723 times easier to get off your fingers

Mr. Opportunist
03-14-2006, 06:31 PM
center divider was built out to far you shouldve stopped a few inches before the baffle other then that looks good.

trevor87
03-14-2006, 06:34 PM
Like it man, but yea easy on the screws next time lol or you could just use an electric finish nailer like me lol

PV Audio
03-14-2006, 06:35 PM
1. Whoever said it was better to use too many screws than too few is completely wrong. Screws at 150% unnecessary when building an enclosure. Having too many will cause the wood to split.

2. Wood glue is always superior to liquid nails or gorilla glue because it's one purpose that it was engineered for was to bond wood together into a "single" piece.

3. Don't be dainty with the woodglue, put on enough to where you're comfortable. Remember: wood glues are usually water soluable, so once the overflow begins to congeal, you can take a damp rag and wipe it off with minimal residue.

My .02 pesos.

HotCarl
03-14-2006, 06:36 PM
if i were you...

id aim the subs upwards....as far forward as you can mount them.

just my .02

PV Audio
03-14-2006, 06:36 PM
center divider was built out to far you shouldve stopped a few inches before the baffle other then that looks good.
..Why would that be beneficial? Care to explain?

MikeyB
03-14-2006, 07:46 PM
..Why would that be beneficial? Care to explain?

x2?

Buckshot
03-14-2006, 09:21 PM
The box looks good man. The cuts look straight, and overall the **** thing looks square!

Somthing to consider:

1. Whoever said it was better to use too many screws than too few is completely wrong. Screws at 150% unnecessary when building an enclosure. Having too many will cause the wood to split.

Yes this. Along with that fact, think of it like this. If you have a 12 inch tall joint (90 Right angle standard joint.) and you have 1 screw every 2 inchs or so...

If that one screws shaft was only .125 inchs (1/8) and you have 6 screws in that joint that means you have used 3/4in^2 in holes essentially, when it really could be a solid chemically bonded wood joint.

Somthing on a scale as small as this doesn't make all that big of a difference, but I was just pointing it out...

PV Audio
03-14-2006, 09:28 PM
Wtf went into that glassed thing in your sig? It's been there forever...

JoseMCeee
03-14-2006, 09:32 PM

2. Wood glue is always superior to liquid nails or gorilla glue because it's one purpose that it was engineered for was to bond wood together into a "single" piece.

3. Don't be dainty with the woodglue, put on enough to where you're comfortable. Remember: wood glues are usually water soluable, so once the overflow begins to congeal, you can take a damp rag and wipe it off with minimal residue.

My .02 pesos.

u mean centavos? :)

But I agree with all that. Most boxes I build usually have a screw per 5-6 inches. Sometimes even more than that. If you cut the wood well and exact you should be good.

MikeyB
03-14-2006, 09:42 PM

He had a Rockford Power HX2 but he blew it. :crap:

Buckshot
03-14-2006, 11:30 PM

I built it around the parameters of my HX2, but one of the coils probably turned bright red, then seezed. killing my plans for the HX2. That box didn't do that sub justice either hehehe.

HardHittaz00
03-15-2006, 03:24 AM
Well... Like I said, my first serious box build... I'm learnin as time goes on... And if my buddy RawDogJ tells me to put liquids nails on there, guess what I'ma do? He didn't win 4th in the world for no apparent reason... Wood glue does seem like a good idea though... I'm sure I'll be looking for another endclosure soon enough, I know how addicting this stuff gets... Hopefully the wood won't split, I was extremly careful and precise on everything... I predrilled every hole... Cut every piece of wood almost perfect... Did the best I could do... I'm pretty proud of it, just because it came out lookin as good as it did... Normally things don't work that well with me... But if somebody has a crazy *** designs for a box that will make these L7's pound harder than this one will... Send it to [email protected] This box can easily be sold...

SPL140.2
03-15-2006, 03:29 AM
That box looks like an army tank good job though.

LoudCrownVic
03-15-2006, 03:39 AM
I used to use only screws then I sealed the box from the inside with liquid nails. Now I use woodglue, and wire nails/clamps to hold it together until it dries. Works much better, though if the cuts are ****** I still seal the inside with Liquid Nails, which indeed is a ***** to get off your hands.

Pop da Hatch
03-15-2006, 03:41 AM
hey loud good to see you - Liquid Nails is easily washed off the hands once its semi - dry! :crazy: :up2somet:

LoudCrownVic
03-15-2006, 03:44 AM
hey loud good to see you - Liquid Nails is easily washed off the hands once its semi - dry!

O? LOL I used GOOF OFF while it was still wet. The 'Nails became like thin peanut butter and I had like Liquid N. gloves.

Pop da Hatch
03-15-2006, 03:46 AM
yeah - I try to use my left hand to get a nice seam on it - then I can still use my right hand. Thought I was the only one to use liquid nails to seal....:crazy:

Nice box by the way - I woulda aimed the subs upward as well!!!

rawdogj
03-15-2006, 07:59 AM
please understand this box is his 1st.

i never told him how mant screws to use..... but for his 1st time i think he did one hella job!

also this box was designed for his car (we both own the same cars) so i know what works in them ... well after my own testing of 43 boxes.

if you must say something about the screws then blame me as i didnt tell him how far to space them apart, and im sure he was worried so he used extra.

but hats off to the man learing to build a box over the phone!!

MikeyB
03-15-2006, 09:26 AM
please understand this box is his 1st.

i never told him how mant screws to use..... but for his 1st time i think he did one hella job!

also this box was designed for his car (we both own the same cars) so i know what works in them ... well after my own testing of 43 boxes.

if you must say something about the screws then blame me as i didnt tell him how far to space them apart, and im sure he was worried so he used extra.

but hats off to the man learing to build a box over the phone!!

Noones rippin on him about it bro, just giving him some tips so he doesn't make some of the same mistakes again. ;)

danteBirosel
03-15-2006, 09:45 AM
^^ Yup, it's good for him to get the criticism/tips anyways. It's the process of becoming a great enclosure builder in the future.

But i do agree 100% about those screws. Having too many screws will make the enclosure weaker, and also cause the wood to split....

Overall, it looks GREATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!

ramos
03-15-2006, 09:53 AM
Hey guys,
I just got done building my new box... It's tuned at about 35Hz... It will be housing two 12" L7's... Thanks to RawDogJ!!! He designed this box and talked me through the build...

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/DriftinStratus00/My%20Box/DSCF0015.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/DriftinStratus00/My%20Box/DSCF0017.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/DriftinStratus00/My%20Box/DSCF0019.jpg

Very nice my brother, reminds of a wwII airplane with all the screws :D Time for some constructive criticism :) If you look at your last picture on the right side. See that gap at the top there ? That's what you get with liquid nails, and why wood glue and clamping is the choice method for assembly. Still nice work my brother :)

HardHittaz00
03-15-2006, 02:06 PM
Actually, no... I'm not seeing any gaps... I don't think there is any gaps...

ramos
03-15-2006, 02:20 PM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a393/moyerme/DSCF0019.jpg

Maybe it's just a shadow. :)

HardHittaz00
03-15-2006, 04:29 PM
lol, gotta be... It all fits perfectly together... Plus I ran a bead of liquid nails ran all around the tops of the sides, back, vents, and middle before I put the top on... So it's all good if there is...Oh well... Squash it all... I'm happy with it... And I appreciate the help that RawDogJ gave me...

01Silverado
03-15-2006, 04:37 PM
haha nice first box, i learned alot from it so i wont make some of the mistakes you did, when i build mine. But im a dumb *** i know..... what is this wood called?

boomintahoe
03-15-2006, 04:39 PM
Very good box. I hope you used liquid nails, as I use it myself, to caulk the inside of the box, not the outside. Sometimes it can be a pain trying to get around corners and can't see and such but if it comes down to it, wear disposable gloves and put some on your finger and rub it on the seams of the inner sides of the enclosure.

Chevyaudio
03-15-2006, 04:39 PM
MDF...Medium Density Fiberboard

boomintahoe
03-15-2006, 04:41 PM
haha nice first box, i learned alot from it so i wont make some of the mistakes you did, when i build mine. But im a dumb *** i know..... what is this wood called?

It's called MDF(Medium Density Fiberboard. Who's the ******* now :p:

01Silverado
03-15-2006, 04:50 PM
haha thanks, but just too be 100% is this it? http://homedepot.bighammersoftware.com/ProductInfo.aspx?cid=916987&pid=0883cc3e-4166-4337-b21e-9ff0c323b67f

01Silverado
03-15-2006, 04:56 PM
ok never mind i found it

PV Audio
03-15-2006, 05:08 PM
If you have it and can afford it, TruPan is also a good material to use. Nearly same characteristics of MDF with less weight.

baseballer1100
03-15-2006, 07:48 PM
where is trupan found at?

PV Audio
03-15-2006, 08:02 PM
Not sure lol, we don't have it locally except for 20 or so miles away at a lumberyard. With a lowes and home depot 10 minutes from my house, it'd be a waste to travel that far.

baseballer1100
03-15-2006, 08:14 PM
haha...thanks

ramos
03-16-2006, 08:04 AM
Very good box. I hope you used liquid nails, as I use it myself, to caulk the inside of the box, not the outside. Sometimes it can be a pain trying to get around corners and can't see and such but if it comes down to it, wear disposable gloves and put some on your finger and rub it on the seams of the inner sides of the enclosure.

I see
Do you use it to hold the panels together during assembly ? :)

ramos
03-16-2006, 08:09 AM
If you have it and can afford it, TruPan is also a good material to use. Nearly same characteristics of MDF with less weight.

Ever messed with divinycell ? We use it in marine applications quite often. That's some dense chit right there. Comes in different density variations like mdf. We used some high density divinycell recently to make a transom. It's like a 1/4-1/5 of the weight of the same thickness mdf. And 5 times denser. I'm gonna take some of the scraps we have at work home, and build an enclosure with them just to see. :)

saywhat?
03-16-2006, 08:10 AM
yeah your crazy!!

you are retarded. wood glue is THE BEST YOU CAN USE. screws are worthless if u have good cuts and good clamps. a screw every 6 inches is PLENTY

liquid nails is crap.

boomintahoe
03-16-2006, 04:06 PM
I see
Do you use it to hold the panels together during assembly ? :)

Nope.

azbass
03-16-2006, 04:10 PM

woot. nice box. easy on the screws. can do more harm that anything.

ramos
03-16-2006, 04:10 PM
Nope.

Cool that was what I was wondering :)

vetkilr
03-16-2006, 04:59 PM
Well... Like I said, my first serious box build... I'm learnin as time goes on... And if my buddy RawDogJ tells me to put liquids nails on there, guess what I'ma do? He didn't win 4th in the world for no apparent reason... Wood glue does seem like a good idea though... I'm sure I'll be looking for another endclosure soon enough, I know how addicting this stuff gets... Hopefully the wood won't split, I was extremly careful and precise on everything... I predrilled every hole... Cut every piece of wood almost perfect... Did the best I could do... I'm pretty proud of it, just because it came out lookin as good as it did... Normally things don't work that well with me... But if somebody has a crazy *** designs for a box that will make these L7's pound harder than this one will... Send it to [email protected] This box can easily be sold...
Whats the cuft per speaker???:D
And deminsions??

PV Audio
03-16-2006, 05:01 PM
Ever messed with divinycell ? We use it in marine applications quite often. That's some dense chit right there. Comes in different density variations like mdf. We used some high density divinycell recently to make a transom. It's like a 1/4-1/5 of the weight of the same thickness mdf. And 5 times denser. I'm gonna take some of the scraps we have at work home, and build an enclosure with them just to see. :)
Ooh, sounds kinda like HDF on steroids? Send me a bit over heah. :D

spitfirees20
03-16-2006, 05:01 PM
bad ***, nice box

HardHittaz00
03-16-2006, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the people that said they like it... I'll def. chill on the screws next time... And SayWhat? I dunno what ur thinkin man... Look at who you just called retarded... RawDogJ won 4th in the world for DB drag... Anyways... It's ridiculious argueing about it... Use whatever you want... It's all gonna hold... It's your preference...

snb778
03-16-2006, 06:57 PM
you are retarded. wood glue is THE BEST YOU CAN USE. screws are worthless if u have good cuts and good clamps. a screw every 6 inches is PLENTY

liquid nails is crap.

A. Liquid nails is not crap by any means...its like epoxy. My dad uses it to glue on club heads to his golf shafts....never has fallen off. Not 1....same with the grips...and this is used on a metal shaft...not wood which should hold even better.

2. I guarantee you that after you clamp down that wood, unless you clamp the living hell out of it....if you throw screws in there you will see more glue seeping out the edges...becauuuuuse its getting tighter. Im not saying that you cant build a great box with just gllue and clamps...BUT...screws make it that much stronger.

boomintahoe
03-19-2006, 12:59 AM
Cool that was what I was wondering :)

Alrighty then. Usually and typically if the individual box builder has them, long clamps are normally used. But since I don't have any, my bare hands and a few screws along with my cordless drill hold the pieces together....oh and some sawhorses. The uneven edges that are shown get sanded creating a extremely flush look.

Hard hittaz, that's one of the best "newbie" boxes I've seen. It looks so good, tho it's raw still, that it looks as if a car audio shop built it for ya. Good job.