PDA

View Full Version : ID Horns?!

newb
03-13-2006, 11:21 PM
Does anybody have first hand experience with ID Horns? I need to know if I should get the mini horns or the regular ones. It is going to be installed in a '92 honda civic hatchback. Im looking to get the full comp set. I emailed and posted this up at ID forums, but no response yet...

Slammed
03-14-2006, 02:38 AM
I have the CD2 Pro Mini Horns (Illusion CH-1 Drivers)

mini horns are easier to work with....especially when space is an issue.

Once you go with horns you most likely will never go back to tweets ;)

newb
03-14-2006, 05:12 AM
I have the CD2 Pro Mini Horns (Illusion CH-1 Drivers)

mini horns are easier to work with....especially when space is an issue.

Once you go with horns you most likely will never go back to tweets ;)

I was looking at your $800 setup. Nice!!! Im trying to build mine for under $1000 if possible. Here's what I have so far.
Eclipse cd8445
12IDMAX d2 v.3

Im currenly shopping for the amps and the ID horns comp set.

Darth Audio
03-14-2006, 08:33 AM
In a Civic the minis are your best bet. And I agree w/ Slammed they sound great, the imaging is unreal. Maybe if I could get my kids to leave the house I could afford a pair!

newb
03-14-2006, 10:59 AM
In a Civic the minis are your best bet. And I agree w/ Slammed they sound great, the imaging is unreal. Maybe if I could get my kids to leave the house I could afford a pair!

Hey thanks. Minis it is.

req
03-14-2006, 11:39 AM
ive heard both. and going from regular components to eaither fullbodies or minis is going to be insane. as long as you have the crossover and a bit of EQ, you are golden. the crossover is way more important than the eq.

eaither way - they sound amazing. if you dont think you will have much foot\leg room, get the minis' - if you have a big suburban or somthing, go with fullbodies. honestly, they both sound amazing. i have fullbodies in my saturn SL2, and my buddy has minis' in his 88' cutlass.

here is most of my install;

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139980

newb
03-14-2006, 12:56 PM
ive heard both. and going from regular components to eaither fullbodies or minis is going to be insane. as long as you have the crossover and a bit of EQ, you are golden. the crossover is way more important than the eq.

eaither way - they sound amazing. if you dont think you will have much foot\leg room, get the minis' - if you have a big suburban or somthing, go with fullbodies. honestly, they both sound amazing. i have fullbodies in my saturn SL2, and my buddy has minis' in his 88' cutlass.

here is most of my install;

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139980

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out. Do you think the Eclipse cd8445 should be sufficient for the horns, crossover and eq wise? I just ordered an Orion-4002 for the cs1.6 and an Orion 600D for my 12IDMAX d2 v.3....:naughty: :naughty: All this will be going in my daily driver.

squeak9798
03-14-2006, 02:37 PM
If you are using the CS1.6 set, then the only thing you'll need to use the HU's crossover for is to highpass the mids. The passive network that comes with the set will lowpass the mid and includes an eq network and level attenuation for the horns. That set uses the CD1e horns, which use motorola piezo's (read: cheap driver) rather than actual compression drivers like the other horns. The CD1e's actually don't need a crossover because the piezo's actually have a natural roll-off beginning at around 1.2khz (which is why the passive xover doesn't include a highpass for the horn). They also aren't nearly as efficient as the other HLCD's.

The CD1e's are very entry level. They can sound good if setup properly, and that 8445 should have adequate EQ ability. But stepping up to the CD1's or CD2's w/ a good mid and using the 8445's internal active xover would be a huge step in terms of performance, if you have enough amplifier channels to float a 2-way active frontstage. Look used you can find great deals on the CD1's and CD2's.

audiolife
03-14-2006, 08:32 PM
mini's dont play as low as full body horns too. i would only go mini if space was an issue

newb
03-14-2006, 10:08 PM
If you are using the CS1.6 set, then the only thing you'll need to use the HU's crossover for is to highpass the mids. The passive network that comes with the set will lowpass the mid and includes an eq network and level attenuation for the horns. That set uses the CD1e horns, which use motorola piezo's (read: cheap driver) rather than actual compression drivers like the other horns. The CD1e's actually don't need a crossover because the piezo's actually have a natural roll-off beginning at around 1.2khz (which is why the passive xover doesn't include a highpass for the horn). They also aren't nearly as efficient as the other HLCD's.

The CD1e's are very entry level. They can sound good if setup properly, and that 8445 should have adequate EQ ability. But stepping up to the CD1's or CD2's w/ a good mid and using the 8445's internal active xover would be a huge step in terms of performance, if you have enough amplifier channels to float a 2-way active frontstage. Look used you can find great deals on the CD1's and CD2's.

Wow. I didnt know that. So Im guessing if I go with either the CD1's or CD2's Im going full active setup correct? I thought the 8445 didnt have that feature and only the 8455 did? Maybe Im wrong..??

dak0ta_g33k
03-14-2006, 10:19 PM
well the cd1e setup is no longer produced but i see a lot of it up for sale on ebay with fullbody horns. since i don't want to add/upgrade another amp to go active, i settled for cd1es for now.

newb
03-14-2006, 10:23 PM
well the cd1e setup is no longer produced but i see a lot of it up for sale on ebay with fullbody horns. since i don't want to add/upgrade another amp to go active, i settled for cd1es for now.

Yeah thats what Im thinking about doing right now. Im not sure just yet though, I've been wanting to try an active setup for a while now..:naughty:

Will there even be an audible difference between the three horns to an average listener?

Dozy_production
03-15-2006, 09:10 AM
also, you would install the horn under the dash where the feet go. Because they are horns the imaging is still ok?

squeak9798
03-15-2006, 09:10 AM
Wow. I didnt know that. So Im guessing if I go with either the CD1's or CD2's Im going full active setup correct? I thought the 8445 didnt have that feature and only the 8455 did? Maybe Im wrong..??

Oh..yeah...for some reason I was thinking you had the 8455.

So, active out of the HU might not work for you. But you can still find affordable external active xovers to use (less than $100).

But, for simplicity sake, you could try to find a CS1.6 set.

audiolife
03-15-2006, 09:19 AM
also, you would install the horn under the dash where the feet go. Because they are horns the imaging is still ok?
its alot better than ok. only thing that will be close to it in regular speaker terms is a syncronus set of speakers in equal pathlength kick panels even then they lack the energy a horn brings.

Dozy_production
03-15-2006, 09:25 AM
sorry for jacking this thread but what would be the ideal active xover for the id pro 1 horns?

audiolife
03-15-2006, 09:27 AM
idx 24 or one with simular features

squeak9798
03-15-2006, 09:29 AM
Yup...something that will handle a highpass xover frequency of 1khz or lower, and has atleast 24db/oct xovers. You don't want less than 18db/oct, otherwise you'll have to push the xover frequency too high to make it worthwhile.

And, as audiolife mentioned...imaging is excellent even with the horns aimed at your knees. Reason being that the horns use the dash almost as an extension of the horn mouth...so the sound sort of "rolls" up the dash.

newb
03-15-2006, 10:12 AM
So that means I can basically piece it together and run it as a passive setup? Which mid would work best with idx 24 crossover? Something with excellent mid and midbass response and be able to keep up with the cd1pro is what I am looking for. :)

squeak9798
03-15-2006, 10:23 AM
So that means I can basically piece it together and run it as a passive setup? Which mid would work best with idx 24 crossover? Something with excellent mid and midbass response and be able to keep up with the cd1pro is what I am looking for. :)

No, you can not piece together a passive horn setup. The only horns that will work off of the ID CS1.X passive xover are the CD1e's. If you go with the CD1Pro's or CD2Comps, you must run active which will require 4 channels of amplification for a 2-way fronstage (horns and mids) and an active xover. The IDX24 is an active crossover, which is no longer in production if I recall correctly.

Dozy_production
03-15-2006, 10:31 AM
Just looked at the IDX24 and thats nearing the 500 dollar range. I know ebay has the pyle and boss crossovers but, you suggested getting an xover under 100 dollars, which brand do you suggest? (ie audio control ?)

newb
03-15-2006, 10:38 AM
No, you can not piece together a passive horn setup. The only horns that will work off of the ID CS1.X passive xover are the CD1e's. If you go with the CD1Pro's or CD2Comps, you must run active which will require 4 channels of amplification for a 2-way fronstage (horns and mids) and an active xover. The IDX24 is an active crossover, which is no longer in production if I recall correctly.

Cool. Thanks for clarifying that up with me.

squeak9798
03-15-2006, 10:38 AM
Just looked at the IDX24 and thats nearing the 500 dollar range. I know ebay has the pyle and boss crossovers but, you suggested getting an xover under 100 dollars, which brand do you suggest? (ie audio control ?)

Like I said in another thread...I would avoid audiocontrol's analog pieces. Not user friendly at all and they don't allow underlapping or overlapping. You can try them if you wish, as they do allow 24db/oct slopes...but they use resistor packs rather than a pot for setting the xover frequency...which means you'll need a resistor pack for every xover frequency you want to try, and everytime you want to change the xover frequency you'll have to back there, open up the xover, swap out resistor packs, reassemble the xover, then go listen again. Rinse and repeat.

The IDX24 is a great xover, and you can find them used for around $200. Another thing with the IDX24 is that it's a converted pro-audio piece, so it uses XLR connections rather than RCA connections. Not a *big* deal, just means you'll have to customize your RCA's yourself...not something everyone is into.

A great option is to sell your deck and pick up one that has the xover built in...like an Eclipse, Alpine or Pioneer.

newb
03-15-2006, 10:39 AM

Now thats a lot. For $500 you can basically get the cs1.6 setup new.

squeak9798
03-15-2006, 10:41 AM
Now thats a lot. For $500 you can basically get the cs1.6 setup new.

Yes, but the IDX24 + CD1 or CD2 + good mids > CS1.6 in terms of performance aswell ;)

Dozy_production
03-15-2006, 10:45 AM
would a cda 7998 be enough for going active having a 5 band para eq? never mind ill use the search button. Sorry for jacking this thread in a way.

newb
03-15-2006, 10:54 AM
Yes, but the IDX24 + CD1 or CD2 + good mids > CS1.6 in terms of performance aswell ;)

so true.

thadman
03-15-2006, 03:41 PM
The 7998 would have the necessary crossover capabilities, but not the EQ capabilities. An active horn setup needs at least 15 bands per side, but 31 are recommended.

audiolife
03-15-2006, 04:01 PM
i wouldnt crossover from the deck unless you have alot of control from a middle seating position or driverside. turning a dial is alot easier than skipping through menues