PDA

View Full Version : RE SX 15" Ported Enclosure

spitfirees20
03-13-2006, 05:53 PM
I recently purchased a RE SX 15", and I need to build a ported enclosure. I've build 3 boxes in the past, 1 ported and 2 sealed. The only problem I seem to have is knowing exactly what to build. www.reaudio.com (http://www.reaudio.com) recommends a 3.5 cuft ported enclosure tuned to 32 Hz. I found this plan, courtesy of moe lester in the box plans sticky http://img10.imageshack.us/my.php?image=35cubes32hz5775sqin8em.png
I know this plan doesn't take into account specific driver displacement, but will this work for my SX?

PhatTonyDeMarco
03-13-2006, 05:54 PM
Yes.

spitfirees20
03-13-2006, 05:58 PM
Yes.
Exellent. This is what I think a thread should be, someone comes up with a logical question and they get a straightfoward answer. Thank you very much!

psych0ticnemes1
03-13-2006, 06:04 PM
straight forward answer

see. i gave one too :)

BTW, if you want a 4 cube box tuned to 35htz made for an sx, i'll give it to you for 10 plus shipping... not covered tho lol

spitfirees20
04-12-2006, 07:06 PM
I'm reviving this thread. Why? Because you were all ******* wrong. It didn't work, at all. It was the biggest ******* waste of my time and money, and now I have to build a new box. This time, I'm going to find another design, one that actually works. I wanted a quick correct answer, and you guys gave me a quick answer all right, but a wrong ******* answer. Now, weeks down the road with time and labor spent, I have a box that won't ******* work with the driver. Did you just say yes without checking the driver specs, mounting depth, and using common sense? Because I just did all of that for my new enclosure, just to make sure this time. I trusted this forum, but that was wrong. I guess the only person you can trust with solid advice is yourself through research, all of you e-audiophiles who in reality don't know **** can **** a fat one.

James Bang
04-12-2006, 07:15 PM
hell yeah that box will work for an SX. it's just your dumb *** was busy sucking a fat one, and didn't check the mounting depth yourself. all you need to do for that box to work is to mount the sub on the opposite side of the port instead of the middle. In fact, you can still use the box you made. just double baffle that **** and mount the sub on opposite end of the port.

you asked a simple fvcking question and got a simple fvcking answer.

terry6405
04-12-2006, 07:18 PM
what was wrong with it?

i would have used a little wider port

i have the same sub and im gonna build another box so i need to know, i bought some areo already thou

i did build a box, it just wasnt as loud as i thought, so im tuning higher

nissanrider06
04-12-2006, 07:18 PM
it looked like u were just asking if it would work considering the sx's displacement... but anyway why didnt it work? if it wat because of the mounting depth then u my friend r the idiot

DaGh0st
04-12-2006, 07:19 PM
inverted will work too

terry6405
04-12-2006, 07:20 PM
it looked like u were just asking if it would work considering the sx's displacement... but anyway why didnt it work? if it wat because of the mounting depth then u my friend r the idiot

yea mounting depth should be ruled out im the first spet of design, but if thats all it is, put a baffle on the front, it cant be that far from goin in

spitfirees20
04-12-2006, 07:21 PM
No, I had custom made rings, which cost an extra $20 to mount the sub just to the right of the port, where it's supposed to be. I could have mounted it inverted, but I didn't want to do that, I wanted a regular ******* box. Now it looks like an ugly bastard box. And mount the sub on the opposite side of the port, that would mean it's firing right into the ******* port. No, read up on it, it's a ******* awful idea and that's why I didn't do it in the first place. I need a new box, I'm just pissed at the amount of money I spent on this thing. I checked and double checked, and this will work http://img30.imageshack.us/my.php?image=35cubes32hz5425sqin5gq.png

spitfirees20
04-12-2006, 07:22 PM
what was wrong with it?

i would have used a little wider port

i have the same sub and im gonna build another box so i need to know, i bought some areo already thou

i did build a box, it just wasnt as loud as i thought, so im tuning higher

Nothing technically, it just looked like a huge steaming pile of ****.

James Bang
04-12-2006, 07:25 PM
so you're mad at the forum because you build like ****? :eyebrow:

DaGh0st
04-12-2006, 07:26 PM
why not just double baffle it, it should clear it after that...what is the mounting dpth 8"?

spitfirees20
04-12-2006, 07:30 PM
so you're mad at the forum because you build like ****? :eyebrow:

I didn't build it like ****. Build-wise, it's fine. Design-wise, it's ***. Although that was almost a decent attempt at an insult, you seem to be missing the point. People leave responses like

Yes.

This was awhile ago, so I thought ****, I can trust these guys. They must know what they're talking about. No, that's the big problem with online forums, people just say ****. If I wanted to talk to uneducated shitheads, I'd talk to my friends who cut holes in their boxes for "ports". This doesn't go out to anybody, as I hope you would know. Only the people who consistantly just say things, or go along and agree, when they have no real world experience. Assholes.

Jordantyler
04-12-2006, 07:32 PM
dude calm down! its ur fault not the forums.. u should do more research before building if it turned out like ****..

spitfirees20
04-12-2006, 07:38 PM
i'm so sick of building ported boxes, this always happens, that's why I'm so pissed. Not once has anyone in a forum recommended a box that sounds louder than a sealed box for me. I know they should be alot louder, but no, I build them and then my friends laugh because their sealed boxes are louder. I mean they are built well, but they just sound and look like complete ***. I just wish I could get some decent advice before I build for once, no one seems to know what they are talking about. Sure, it sounds great online... to them. Then I personally build it, and it sounds like butt. I just wanted some help, and no one gave any reasonable real world advice. I'm a high school kid, this money doesn't come easy. For the paint, glue, wood, screws, custom rings for the mounting depth, this box cost over $60, and looks like balls. It's tough, that's why I'm so mad.

DaGh0st
04-12-2006, 07:43 PM
keep practicing mang i didnt get it on my first try eighter

spitfirees20
04-12-2006, 07:47 PM
... this isn't my first try, this is my 4th or 5th box. I'm pissed at how this keeps happening. I'm learning more and more tricks as to how to build the box, I just need a plan to go by.

NeverEnuffBass
04-12-2006, 07:47 PM
i'm so sick of building ported boxes, this always happens, that's why I'm so pissed. Not once has anyone in a forum recommended a box that sounds louder than a sealed box for me. I know they should be alot louder, but no, I build them and then my friends laugh because their sealed boxes are louder. I mean they are built well, but they just sound and look like complete ***. I just wish I could get some decent advice before I build for once, no one seems to know what they are talking about. Sure, it sounds great online... to them. Then I personally build it, and it sounds like butt. I just wanted some help, and no one gave any reasonable real world advice. I'm a high school kid, this money doesn't come easy. For the paint, glue, wood, screws, custom rings for the mounting depth, this box cost over $60, and looks like balls. It's tough, that's why I'm so mad.

1. A box is only as good as its builder makes it.

2. A properly built ported enclosure will out perform a seald enclosure in output.

3.You say that their sealed boxes are louder. A sealed box that plays deeper than a ported box will sound louder but doesn't mean that it is louder.

There are a lot of factors that come into play here. What car is this installed in? What amp is running it? What material did you use? MDF? Particle Board? Is the box completely sealed everywhere but the port?

Can we see some pics?

DaGh0st
04-12-2006, 07:50 PM
x2 on pics

spitfirees20
04-12-2006, 07:55 PM
It's at my friend's house right now, so I can't get any pics at this minute. It's not about the box that I'm so pissed particularly, it's how people can recommend things that simply won't work as intended.

DaGh0st
04-12-2006, 07:56 PM
you cant be to mad they had the same info as you and you didnt notice it eighter

j3bus2k3
04-12-2006, 07:58 PM
dude...how many other countless people have put a SX15 in the spec box from RE? So far, you the only person that has said it sounds like ***. You ****ed yourself when YOU didnt check mounting depths, its not our problme nor our responsibility to hold your hand so you dont **** up. Next time check it...

spitfirees20
04-12-2006, 08:00 PM
I didn't even check the mounting depth, I have zero experience with RE and little experience with box designing, I assumed people had the SX in that box and it would work. I still don't have a plan, to this day, and I need a box. I guess I'll just build another one of moe lester's boxes, http://img30.imageshack.us/my.php?image=35cubes32hz5425sqin5gq.png, and hope that it will work. This time I've measured everything, so if it doesn't work, it's no one's fault but my own.

spitfirees20
04-12-2006, 08:01 PM
dude...how many other countless people have put a SX15 in the spec box from RE? So far, you the only person that has said it sounds like ***. Either your box is FUBAR'd or you sub is. Quit blaming us for your misfortune. Tough ****...

The sound is not the problem, I haven't even hooked it up. It just looks like a piece of ****, I wish I had a plan to go by. The new box plan I have won't even work in my jeep most likely.

DaGh0st
04-12-2006, 08:01 PM
I didn't even check the mounting depth, I have zero experience with RE and little experience with box designing, I assumed people had the SX in that box and it would work. I still don't have a plan, to this day, and I need a box. I guess I'll just build another one of moe lester's boxes, http://img30.imageshack.us/my.php?image=35cubes32hz5425sqin5gq.png, and hope that it will work. This time I've measured everything, so if it doesn't work, it's no one's fault but my own.
Good Luck.

NeverEnuffBass
04-12-2006, 08:02 PM
It's at my friend's house right now, so I can't get any pics at this minute. It's not about the box that I'm so pissed particularly, it's how people can recommend things that simply won't work as intended.

You can't believe what everyone on a forum says. Do you have any idea how many noobies think they know everyhting about car audio?

NeverEnuffBass
04-12-2006, 08:03 PM
each one of my SX 15's are in 7.5 cubes btw

j3bus2k3
04-12-2006, 08:04 PM
SO WHAT that it looks bad. Mine is covered in scuffs, glue and silicone. its like an orgy of it. Form follows function buddy. If all else fails, cover it in carpet.

spitfirees20
04-12-2006, 08:26 PM
It's going in the back of an suv, and I don't want it to look like wang. While people are jacking my **** some day, I don't want them to say "wow, that box looks like ***".

MikeyB
04-12-2006, 08:46 PM

Dude you are honestly a douche bag, how can you even come on here and tell these guys that it is their fault that you fvcked up? You asked if the box would work, which it would, it would work fine. Maybe the sub would have to be inverted with it placed in the middle, its your fault that you didn't check everything and move the sub over. If you are building ported enclosures that aren't louder than sealed ones than you have no idea what you are doing. Stop putting the blame on everyone else and just accept the fact that you are a focking idiot!!! Maybe you should have thought about testing the enclosure first before you decided to finish it, is this everyone on heres fault for you wasting time and money on an enclosure that the driver doesn't fit in? No, it is your fault, next time when you finish constructing the box put the sub in and see if it fits, then finish it, maybe give it a listen too so you know if thats what you are looking for. YOU ARE STUPID, I'm pretty sure that there are people on here that know what the fvck they are talking about, there are also a lot of people that talk a lot of bullshit and don't know anything. Go listen to your friends then, they are obviously doing a better job with their setups then you.

:hitbrick:

edit- Mounting Depth on the 15 is 7.875 inches, you have 9 inches to the port wall with the sub in. Why doesn't it fit?

hofulstrof
04-12-2006, 08:52 PM
I'm just pissed at the amount of money I spent on this thing. I checked and double checked,[/url]

so you spent 20+ another 25 for mdf so what.

you checked and double checked then wtf are you yelling at us like your on your rag or something .you dumb ****. if only you were smart enought to move the sub over there would have been no problem mounting it and it would not be faceing into a port.

double or tripple the baffle then add a ring and it wont look like ****. or as someone else suggested doubble the baffle and cut a new hole for the sub

NeverEnuffBass
04-12-2006, 08:59 PM
The sound is not the problem, I haven't even hooked it up. It just looks like a piece of ****, I wish I had a plan to go by. The new box plan I have won't even work in my jeep most likely.

Wait. I just read this again. If its THE LOOKS, I don't think that is anyone elses fault. You said Moe Lester designed this box. He seems to be very reputable on here for his designs. A 3.5cube shouldn't be that difficult to construct. Many people have posted pics of the same box on here. Its pretty hard to fvck up a square or rectangle. Except for that dude that cut that awful sub cut out that time.....

spitfirees20
04-12-2006, 08:59 PM
Nah, forget it. I'll redo it. It's my fault for not checking ****, all my fault that it was the wrong box. The thing that I'm really pissed at, that people seem to miss, is that people said it would be ok, and it didn't fit. Those people are the audiobahn of the ca.com world, I can't deal with that.

spitfirees20
04-12-2006, 09:01 PM
Wait. I just read this again. If its THE LOOKS, I don't think that is anyone elses fault. You said Moe Lester designed this box. He seems to be very reputable on here for his designs. A 3.5cube shouldn't be that difficult to construct. Many people have posted pics of the same box on here. Its pretty hard to fvck up a square or rectangle. Except for that dude that cut that awful sub cut out that time.....

No, mine had an extra MDF ring that was 2" and the whole thing stuck out... it was just awkward. A simple box is, as you said, simple to construct, but the wrong box... that's a whole other story. I should have just not asked for advice, I should have done more research and just not asked at all. This isn't meant for the people that know what they are doing, it's just the people that seem to have an extra mouth inside their ******* so they can simply spew bullshit to me.

MikeyB
04-12-2006, 09:02 PM
Nah, forget it. I'll redo it. It's my fault for not checking ****, all my fault that it was the wrong box. The thing that I'm really pissed at, that people seem to miss, is that people said it would be ok, and it didn't fit. Those people are the audiobahn of the ca.com world, I can't deal with that.

I don't completely understand this, why didn't it fit? Does the back of the sub hit the port wall? According to that design you have 9 inches to that wall from the front of the box, the mounting depth on the SX 15 is 7.875 inches.

spitfirees20
04-12-2006, 09:06 PM
I don't completely understand this, why didn't it fit? Does the back of the sub hit the port wall? According to that design you have 9 inches to that wall from the front of the box, the mounting depth on the SX 15 is 7.875 inches.

So that's about a 1" space, and the hole on the back of the sub is 2". I need more clearence for the sub to not be restricted; again, I heard this from multiple "audiophiles", so who knows if it's ****ing true. I researched it and it seems to hold true, the SX needs more room, so instead of screwing around with somthing I'm completely disgusted in, I'm just rebuilding a new box.

MikeyB
04-12-2006, 09:56 PM
So that's about a 1" space, and the hole on the back of the sub is 2". I need more clearence for the sub to not be restricted; again, I heard this from multiple "audiophiles", so who knows if it's ****ing true. I researched it and it seems to hold true, the SX needs more room, so instead of screwing around with somthing I'm completely disgusted in, I'm just rebuilding a new box.

OOOOO, I thought you were saying it wouldnt even fit in there, dude save your time and money and just cut a ring and double baffle it. It would work fine then, I don't see why you have to scratch the whole enclosure.

spitfirees20
04-12-2006, 10:08 PM
I have a ring, it looks like wang, and I don't want to double baffle because it would look weird with the port... i'm just redoing it, hopefully it will turn out better this time around.

MikeyB
04-12-2006, 10:09 PM
I have a ring, it looks like wang, and I don't want to double baffle because it would look weird with the port... i'm just redoing it, hopefully it will turn out better this time around.

Alright bro, good luck then and I hope things work out.

Bolognablake
04-12-2006, 11:25 PM
Whoa...

geez...

If it makes you feel better, I just threw a box together in about 30 minutes, only to cut the hole too big for the sub. That my friend is a real eff-up. Forced me to double baffle.

If it looks real bad, slap some bondo on it to smooth it all out, paint it, and tell everyone it's fiberglass.