PDA

View Full Version : Which Component System to Choose

m16ac
03-12-2006, 02:26 AM
I am having a heck of a time choosing a component system for my car. I wanted to know what everyone has heard and liked. I am going to list all the systems that are in my price range. Let me know which you guys would buy.

MB Quart RCE 216
Focal 165 V1
Infinity Kappa 60.7 cs
JL Audio VR 650
Polk MMC6500
Alpine Type R

Right now I am leaning towards one of the top 3 systems. Let me know if you guys think otherwise and which one you like the best.

Thanks

Echo42987
03-12-2006, 12:28 PM
Polk MMC6500 Hands down...

-Nick-

6spdcoupe
03-12-2006, 12:55 PM
What type of music do you listen to? What amp will be powering them?

You also said these are all in your price range, is this online/Fleabay pricing or actual store pricing?

m16ac
03-12-2006, 07:27 PM
What type of music do you listen to? What amp will be powering them?

Probably something that RMS at about 70 watts. I listen to rock and Jack Johson type music.

You also said these are all in your price range, is this online/Fleabay pricing or actual store pricing?

Yeah the prices are off the internet that is why they are better. I have found online stores that have these prices. Also ebay

6spdcoupe
03-12-2006, 07:41 PM
Just checking so that we know what to compare to.

Also if buying online, keep in mind you may not be getting real products, rather counterfeits. Either way theres no warranty on most listed...

m16ac
03-12-2006, 10:09 PM
I found the MB Quart RCE's at amazon for 139.95 that is what I am thinking about buying.

SQChevy
03-13-2006, 11:04 AM
My preference is Focal. At least to me even their Access line out performs the others on the list. They have one of the fullest sounds in their component lines.

ighettoboyi
03-13-2006, 11:05 AM
those MBQs are terrible

Dozy_production
03-13-2006, 11:18 AM
are the focals considered harsh? my bad for semi thread jacking, i might go up and listen to them and tell the thread starter whats up.

SQChevy
03-13-2006, 11:24 AM
Not at all. They have some of the most realistic and accurate sound I've heard out of speakers. They have been in several of the world champion vehicles in Sound Quality. Get some cds with a wide instrumental range and listen to them.

6spdcoupe
03-13-2006, 11:30 AM
are the focals considered harsh? my bad for semi thread jacking, i might go up and listen to them and tell the thread starter whats up.

The mids are actually pretty nice sounding and natural. The tweeters on the other hand are a tad bit to harsh for my ears. Just an aquired taste as all ears are different.

FoxPro5
03-13-2006, 11:30 AM
My preference is Focal. At least to me even their Access line out performs the others on the list. They have one of the fullest sounds in their component lines.

Agreed. And argueably the finest made of the sets listed too. I enjoyed the sound of them....on a soundboard of course :crap:

3onDubs
03-13-2006, 01:55 PM
I recently purchased a set of OZ Audio Matrix Elite's from ClarityElectronics.com for $300. I've heard a lot about them, but i'll know more after i install them this weekend....they're supposedly a great component set.

Dozy_production
03-13-2006, 02:39 PM
i had those guys. They played very well until a body shop screwed with my amp gains . The mid was big but hey;) I felt like the ur6s's were nicer.

Echo42987
03-13-2006, 06:38 PM
Still voting in the Polk Momos...I gurantee you that you'll love the sound reproduction of those components...

-Nick-

AcidicDreams
03-13-2006, 06:42 PM
I am having a heck of a time choosing a component system for my car. I wanted to know what everyone has heard and liked. I am going to list all the systems that are in my price range. Let me know which you guys would buy.

MB Quart RCE 216
Focal 165 V1
Infinity Kappa 60.7 cs
JL Audio VR 650
Polk MMC6500
Alpine Type R

Right now I am leaning towards one of the top 3 systems. Let me know if you guys think otherwise and which one you like the best.

Thanks

how about you PM 6spdcoupe with you budget and ask about rainbow comps..

Dozy_production
03-13-2006, 07:04 PM
how about you PM 6spdcoupe with you budget and ask about rainbow comps..

hes a dealer?

///M5
03-13-2006, 07:18 PM
Your installation is going to make a bigger difference than the speakers. If I couldn't hear each set, I'd narrow it down to hard/soft tweeter and take your preference first, and then as a tie breaker the set with better midbass extension via the rolloff on the frequency response. Again, installation I'd think about first. Are you installing these IB in the doors or kicks, in a sealed/ported enclosure, what are the mounting locations, and is your deadening budget as large as the budget for the drivers?

SQChevy
03-14-2006, 10:10 AM
Hey 6spdcoupe, which set of focals did you listen to? I know at least the ones I have aren't harsh at all. The tweeters are designed to not be harsh at all with the phase plug, beryllium tweeter with a surround on it. I love the sound reproduction they give very natural sounding.

m16ac
03-14-2006, 11:23 AM
Thanks again for all the input. I think i am going to try and build kick plates for the speakers to go in. I have a freind that has worked with fiverglass before though he has never done kick panels. I was wondering if anyone has made kick panels. If so could you share some info on how to do it and what you need. thanks